Basic Oil/ air filter Service

Topper54

Equipment
B2650
Mar 19, 2018
Centerville Ohio ,USA
Need opinion. Took my new 2650b in to dealer for basic 100 hour service. (wanted dealer to do first servicing). Recently I did routine check of oil at 134 hours and found the oil to be black, and 1 quart low. then checked outer air filter and found it to be black/dirty. Now suspect this highly regarded dealer charged me $400 for the 100 hour service and didn't do anything. Am I wrong to suspect this?:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
What color is the oil filter? The original factory one is black or gray (can’t remember). The replacement filters from Kubota are white.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
Are your filters marked with dates our hours? The oil could be black in 34 hours. Should not be a quart low. It's possible it was changed and the technician did not fill to the full mark. Very common. Are you operating in Dusty conditions. If so the air filter could be dirty. What does your invoice show was done for $400. Only oil change an air filter? If so $400 sounds a little high. I am an independent repair person and do a lot of service work. I do the B series on-site complete service front to rear all filters and oils for about $600. That is using Kubota UDT and Napa brand filters. Lance

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
As Fordtech posted. Original factory build will have a dark grey oil filter. Replacement oil filters from Kubota are white. Not uncommon at all for diesel engines to turn the engine oil black in just a few hours of use.

as far as a quart down, that's probably cause the tech didn't put enough in to begin with. If I recall correctly, mine took more oil than specified in the book.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
How many people replace the filter and oil, then refill it to the top of the dip stick and call it good? They never started the engine to "burp" it before calling it done. They need to start it, let it warm up, check for leaks at the filter and plug, finally topping off the oil if needed.

Topper54

Equipment
B2650
Mar 19, 2018
Centerville Ohio ,USA
Can't recall color of oil filter. Will check that. As far as the $400 price tag on servicing, I did have mower deck serviced. Didn't get itemized invoice, just said 100 hour servicing.
The air filter I removed had a number embossed, where the Kubota replacement did not.
This service/dealer also sold me a quart of Kubota 30 weight oil and said that is what is used in the B2650. I thought there was a special diesel oil? I'm new to tractors and was looking for their guidance.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
As far as the extra quart of oil goes, check your owner's manual for acceptable oils. My Kubota tractor lists several acceptable weights. Whichever weight you use it should specify for diesel engines. I won't comment on what the dealer has done for you as I do my own maintenance rather than haul my tractor to the dealer and pay their labor charges.