Barlows and why I now have a JD1025R

USAFCaptNH

Equipment
JD1025R, 54" autoconnect, 54" FEL , 54" snow thower and ballast box.
Apr 30, 2017
Northwood,NH
Sometimes things just are to good to be true.

I have been looking at getting a small tractor for awhile. When I decided on the Kubota I went to my local dealer and it was a disaster. I went in looking at BX 1870 and after finding out about the BX2380 I wanted to change and the salesman went ballistic so I had to look outside the area.

After looking on here and reading reviews I contacted Barlow as the reviews were really good. They provided me a great quote saving around $2000 for the exact package I wanted delivered!!!

I was very leery about buying online ($23,000) but when I talked to them and email everything seems great and again the reviews were good to so I decided to go with them and placed the order.

What started out great went down hill from there. Of course after agreeing to purchasing the product I was told it would be three weeks before they could deliver. (bummer.. but for $2000 I could wait :).

Here is where I should have moved on but I so wanted the tractor and again ohhhh the price saving. At the end of the three weeks I emailed and was told everything was in order for delivery the next week. (awesome or so I though) they would deliver towards the end of the week and I made plans to be off and ready.

On Thursday of that week when it was to be delivered I received an email saying things came up and it would be the following week. (not happy but oh well whats another week).

Now the following week I remembered it was the Memorial day weekend and I sent an email to make sure they knew. Seems they didn't and then I was told it would have to be the following week. (again... the signs were there but I couldn't resist the savings)

Okay now (after emailing and confirming on Tuesday of that week everything was a go) I took off Friday to prep for receiving my Tractor... After not hearing anything more about being on there way I contacted Barlow on Thursday and guess what??? Yep your right.. they realized due to scheduling as they had another customer that was on vacation for two days they were not going to deliver that week either.

To say I was upset would be an understatement. To be told on Thursday they weren't coming when they clearly knew this earlier in the week was to me to much and after thinking hard about it I decided to cancel my order and move on. How long do you wait to save money when you cant get what you ordered and have been told over and over just another week.

To be fair I would have waited and not been that upset but each and every time they delayed they would not even take the time to tell me in a timely manor so I could reschedule. I know it was not a big deal to them at $23k but to me it was. I expected at least an email or call but no they kept dragging it out and keeping me on the hook until I had enough.

I cancelled my ordered and went back to two of the dealers in my local area with my tail between my legs.... so embarrassed but I wanted a BX2380 I would swallow my pride and wallet. Unfortunately as most might know now the new BX80 is a hit and no one had the package I wanted. I could order but no one would commit to a delivery date saying only maybe 2 or 3 weeks.

I had looked at the JD1025R before but really wanted the BX2380 but now I thought what the heck and contacted my local JD dealer. They were more then happy to sell me the same package. I placed my order on Monday after cancelling Barlow and my JD1025R was delivered that Saturday!

I have had for over a week now and it is a great little machine. The mower on and off is awesome and easier then the Kubota drive over. The FEL is pretty slick but the Kubota ability to take all four hoses off at once would have been nice. The 54" snowblower with hyd rotator and I wont know how good until I get some snow but I can wait.

I know this was long but I thought it might help someone not have the same problem I had. Sometimes price is not everything.

I hate to leave this group but I have a JD now and will move on. Barlow was nice and great price but again if cant be up front and let you know about delays maybe you should think really hard before committing. price "isn't" always the best way to go. Good luck to anyone who tries.

:)

Attachments

Last edited:

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
Nice machine Capn"...I feel your pain as I dislike being "put off" after spending a mental amount of money as well. I am not brand loyal. I have had Cub Cadets, Mahindras, New Holland and Kubota. They ALL have their strong points and weak points. I'm sure you will be very happy with your purchase. You would have been happy with a Kubota as well I'm sure..... but they dropped the ball. Their loss.

USAFCaptNH

Equipment
Apr 30, 2017
Northwood,NH
Nice machine Capn"...I feel your pain as I dislike being "put off" after spending a mental amount of money as well. I am not brand loyal. I have had Cub Cadets, Mahindras, New Holland and Kubota. They ALL have their strong points and weak points. I'm sure you will be very happy with your purchase. You would have been happy with a Kubota as well I'm sure..... but they dropped the ball. Their loss.
Thanks for the kind words and understanding and your right when you get to this level of mfg they are all pretty good!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
You should have come over to the western side of the state. There is some very good Kubota dealers over here.

TheDon81

Equipment
Hopefully a BX23S soon
Jun 13, 2017
Pelham, NH
Well that sucks! Glad you were able to get a tractor, I just signed papers to purchase a BX23S, not sure I'd wait a month for a tractor, but I hope it was a smoking deal, I can't image with delivery it being much cheaper than a local dealer. I agree with what was said above, and will say you've had more patience than I would have but I'd also be like I waited this long why not.

Good luck with the JD you can't go wrong with any of these SCUTs, I like how you can buy a backhoe later if you like on the 1025R, but getting on the backhoe I felt like a pinball as I would bounce off the ROPS :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I love my Kubota, but you did the right thing. A good dealer is more important than the brand you buy.
Good luck with the Deere and hopefully there is a way for you to disable the stupid Deere feature that shuts the mid PTO off every time you reverse.

I feel your pain. I had to quit buying Ford's and now VW's because of my dealers, and I have 3 Polaris ATV's in my yard that will be the last because of the dealer.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
My purchase with Barlow was pretty smooth. It was a week later than he originally estimated though. Timing is everything with one driver and customers coast to coast.

I looked at a B2920 TLB and 1025R FILB, both at a Deere dealer. The B qualified for some factory program where Deere keeps it on lot for comparison and they get money. Wouldnt sell it.

The loader is stronger on the Deere. The loader functions and backhoe were to jerky for me. Getting off the seat, when stopped in gear killed the engine. Backing up with PTO engaged killed the engine. Small annoyances that can be bypassed. I prefer the side by side pedals.

Its a nice machine. Will last many years and do the same job a Bota will. In my area Green costs more. It wasnt worth 2500 more for the same machine, with a mower deck. By waiting 3 weeks, Barlow saved me 5000+ over a Deere. Im bummed he couldnt get you what you wanted in a timely fashion, but Im glad you have a nice machine to call your own.

You dont have to leave OTT, not all info is specific to Orange paint. TBN has some good JD guys.

Check out Tractor Time With Tim on YouTube. Hes got a 1025R with hoe and has lots of cool vids, not just centering on the hoe....

Juiced06GTO

Equipment
2016 B2601
Nov 26, 2014
Sutton, MA
Chappell in Milford was able to get within a few hundred dollars of Barlow's price after delivery. I went with them as it was nice to hae a local dealer if I ever needed. Sorry you had a bad experience, but the JD should serve you well.

TheDon81

Equipment
Hopefully a BX23S soon
Jun 13, 2017
Pelham, NH
Chappell in Milford was able to get within a few hundred dollars of Barlow's price after delivery. I went with them as it was nice to hae a local dealer if I ever needed. Sorry you had a bad experience, but the JD should serve you well.

I just placed an order with them, hopefully I got the same/similar deal you did! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH
I cannot stand when a dealer "changes" the deal specifics when you are dealing with 10's of thousands of dollars. I would have done what you did also before finding this message board. The only thing I would have done different would be to ask on this board if there were any Kubota dealers in NH that would treat you better....

I bought my machine from Chapelle Tractor in Milford also many years ago. The provided on site first service free and for the first two years if I ran into any problems they came to my home and resolved them. I would highly recommend them if anyone else in NH is thinking of getting a tractor, even if I lived in norther NH (about 3 hours away).

Enjoy your JD tractor but don't leave the message board as some of the data is not specific to just Kubota and it may apply to your JD... :)

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
USAFCaptNH, I believe on a previous post we were thinking Barlows was going to combine your delivery to NH with the pickup of my BH77, in CT, needing warranty work. The pickup of my BH was delayed 2 weeks also but was finally picked up a week ago. I wonder if that was the shipment your tractor was supposed to be on?

Well, it's too bad it didn't work out. I'm sure you would have loved the BX, but I'm sure the JD will also serve you well. It will be nice to have a local dealer, that is my biggest regret/complaint.

Enjoy!

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
You might want to try a green tractor forum: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/forum.php

I'm guessing it is operated by the same people, several of us belong to multiple forums and own several colors and as mentioned OTT is a good forum even if you don't own green.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Did you try MB Tractor? I purchased mine from them and had a great experience. Bought on a Saturday and it was delivered on Monday.

TheDon81

Equipment
Hopefully a BX23S soon
Jun 13, 2017
Pelham, NH
I just got a quote from Barlows, I was expecting a $3000 difference but they were only $150 cheaper than what my local dealer is charging me and that is before any delivery charges, I guess I got a good deal then!

USAFCaptNH

Equipment
Apr 30, 2017
Northwood,NH
I cannot stand when a dealer "changes" the deal specifics when you are dealing with 10's of thousands of dollars. I would have done what you did also before finding this message board. The only thing I would have done different would be to ask on this board if there were any Kubota dealers in NH that would treat you better....

I bought my machine from Chapelle Tractor in Milford also many years ago. The provided on site first service free and for the first two years if I ran into any problems they came to my home and resolved them. I would highly recommend them if anyone else in NH is thinking of getting a tractor, even if I lived in norther NH (about 3 hours away).

Enjoy your JD tractor but don't leave the message board as some of the data is not specific to just Kubota and it may apply to your JD... :)
I did go to chapelle but they were $2500 more then Barlows. When I had to cancel Barlow I did go back to them and they were nice and kept the same price but couldn't tell me when they would have a tractor for me so I went to JD. I agree they would be a great dealer but only problem was inventory as the 80s are going fast lol. :cool:

USAFCaptNH

Equipment
Apr 30, 2017
Northwood,NH
Did you try MB Tractor? I purchased mine from them and had a great experience. Bought on a Saturday and it was delivered on Monday.
Funny thing is yes they were the first place I went to. I didn't know about the 80 and was looking at 1870. The salesman scott I worked with was nice to start and when I received a quote and said I wanted to think a little on it meant it was sold. I came back about a week later to upgrade my order to the 2380 with mower, snowblower and fel but he went crazy saying I had already purchased the older model. You should see my phone he blew it up with
8 calls over the next three hours. That is the only reason I even looked at Barlows where it seemed I was getting a great deal until I tried to get it delivered. I waited 3 weeks as agreed and then they for the next three weeks they would delay another week without any notice and only let me know on the day it was suppose to arrive. once, twice but three times? I hated to move on but I did and now I am enjoying my 1025 but still wonder.....I so wanted a Kubota but jd is growing on me fast lol:D

USAFCaptNH

Equipment
Apr 30, 2017
Northwood,NH
I posted below they were my first choice but the salesmen wasn't very nice so I moved to Barlows.. only thing is they just couldn't deliver as they said they would lol.. anyone can give you a great price they don't have the euipment:mad:

USAFCaptNH

Equipment
Apr 30, 2017
Northwood,NH
USAFCaptNH, I believe on a previous post we were thinking Barlows was going to combine your delivery to NH with the pickup of my BH77, in CT, needing warranty work. The pickup of my BH was delayed 2 weeks also but was finally picked up a week ago. I wonder if that was the shipment your tractor was supposed to be on?

Well, it's too bad it didn't work out. I'm sure you would have loved the BX, but I'm sure the JD will also serve you well. It will be nice to have a local dealer, that is my biggest regret/complaint.

Enjoy!
I think it might have been yours he was picking up not sure. I was so excited but the delay after delay after delay with no notice was to much and I had to cancel but they were nice about it. who knows maybe they would have delivered it the forth week lol. Your right the JD is a nice machine too and growing on me each day.

TheDon81

Equipment
Hopefully a BX23S soon
Jun 13, 2017
Pelham, NH
I did go to chapelle but they were $2500 more then Barlows. When I had to cancel Barlow I did go back to them and they were nice and kept the same price but couldn't tell me when they would have a tractor for me so I went to JD. I agree they would be a great dealer but only problem was inventory as the 80s are going fast lol. :cool:

Wow, I wish Barlow's was $2500 cheaper with shipping, I would cancel my order :) but the important thing is you have a tractor and you're happy with it. I almost went JD just because I could get the backhoe at a later date, but ultimately did not like there setup, getting on the backhoe made me feel like a pinball and It was very awkward to get on it. I like the extra room on the BX, but honestly once you were in the seat the ROPS didn't get in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: