Ballast Box or Homemade Carry All?

robert2601

Aug 18, 2021
Afton,Tn
I bought a b2601 (has not delivered yet) with a front end loader. I will be a rookie user and have a question about ballast. I have 3pt pallet forks and a homemade carry all. The carry all is 48" x 48". My thinking was I would pile some bags of top soil, quickcrete bags and other stuff I have laying around on the carry all for ballast. Should I go with the bulky carry all or forget my cheapskate tendency and buy a ballast box?

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
I put a box blade on the back for ballast most of the time. It comes in about 500# with the QH. The advantage of the ballast box is stability and size. Your carry all sticks out over 4 feet. You can get in tighter places with a ballast box. Secondly when you pile bags of stuff for weight, depending on the ground, could shift or fall off creating a balance issue. Decent ballast box about $300-350 and the the sand or concrete. When you look at what you have already spent that is pretty cheap for stability and size.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think you’d be better off with a working implement like rear blade, box blade, grader/scraper etc. The only advantage of a ballast box is being shorter.

I bought a ballast box and haven’t used it since I got my grader/scraper and rear blade.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I think it depends on where you plan to use your tractor, congrats btw. If you are just doing field work anything will do. I go into the woods all the time and its a pretty crappy feeling to be turning and feel a jolt as an implement catches a tree. For that reason I went with a ballast box.

robert2601

Aug 18, 2021
Afton,Tn
I put a box blade on the back for ballast most of the time. It comes in about 500# with the QH. The advantage of the ballast box is stability and size. Your carry all sticks out over 4 feet. You can get in tighter places with a ballast box. Secondly when you pile bags of stuff for weight, depending on the ground, could shift or fall off creating a balance issue. Decent ballast box about $300-350 and the the sand or concrete. When you look at what you have already spent that is pretty cheap for stability and size.
I am not too concerned about getting in tight spaces as I will mostly be using fel on open ground but it is a sloping area and I agree about the bags of stuff shifting. But I am in luck-I have a 5' box blade but I have no idea how much it weighs. Will try it first before I go with a ballast box. thanks

robert2601

Aug 18, 2021
Afton,Tn
I think you’d be better off with a working implement like rear blade, box blade, grader/scraper etc. The only advantage of a ballast box is being shorter.

I bought a ballast box and haven’t used it since I got my grader/scraper and rear blade.
Thanks, I have a box blade and will try it for now

robert2601

Aug 18, 2021
Afton,Tn
I think it depends on where you plan to use your tractor, congrats btw. If you are just doing field work anything will do. I go into the woods all the time and its a pretty crappy feeling to be turning and feel a jolt as an implement catches a tree. For that reason I went with a ballast box.
Thanks, Appreciate the info

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
...I have 3pt pallet forks and a homemade carry all...
Cheap works... no need to to buy a ballast box. I built my "forks" to be used for several things, sprayer, carry-all, and a ballast 'drum'. I do have a dedicated pallet forks for my pallets of firewood.

If your carryall turns out to be too bulky, I would change it out later. Try it first! I do use a box blade as ballast at times, better than just a Box.

Attachments

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Run ballast box whenever rear implement isn't needed. Only takes a few minutes to swap implements when using QH, parking stands and having implements properly setup

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My opinion, but in open ground with both a carry-all and 5’ box blade, you’re all set!! ;) :cool:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Of course, I’m not impartial…..never saw a need for another implement. It is true that a ballast box can be more compact, but I can accommodate.

63BDE774-1C2D-4C66-9044-1FC163CF8BF9.jpeg

CB301645-46CE-43A8-9F51-2A154C5A1E86.jpeg

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Nice job RCW !
One big advantage to a carryall like you show is it moves the ballast weight further behind the rear axle. Its like a multiplying effect on the actual weight you have on it. ie if a ballast box has 600lbs of weight centered 30" behind the axle you would only need 400lbs centered 40" behind the axle. If you put 600 on your carryall a ballast box would need 900 for the same effect.
The distances I used are just for illustration but I think I get my point across.

robert2601

Aug 18, 2021
Afton,Tn
Of course, I’m not impartial…..never saw a need for another implement. It is true that a ballast box can be more compact, but I can accommodate.

View attachment 65896

View attachment 65897

View attachment 65896

View attachment 65897
I am getting a lot of votes to use what I got. I am pretty sure I am going to practice with my carry all or box blade. Nice job on your carry all.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Nice job RCW !
One big advantage to a carryall like you show is it moves the ballast weight further behind the rear axle.
I am getting a lot of votes to use what I got. I am pretty sure I am going to practice with my carry all or box blade. Nice job on your carry all.
Robert - - like ctfjr said, the carry-all moves weight back aways.

I figure the carry-all weighs about 200 pounds +/-.

Without the loader on, I had almost 400 pounds on the carry-all couple summers ago. Was wet bags of topsoil and wet mulch.

Front tires were pointing skyward......being stubborn, I got stuff moved where I wanted. Kept wishing for individual wheel brakes.

It does demonstrate ctfjr's point. Wouldn't have been an issue if the loader were on.

robert2601

Aug 18, 2021
Afton,Tn
Robert - - like ctfjr said, the carry-all moves weight back aways.

I figure the carry-all weighs about 200 pounds +/-.

Without the loader on, I had almost 400 pounds on the carry-all couple summers ago. Was wet bags of topsoil and wet mulch.

Front tires were pointing skyward......being stubborn, I got stuff moved where I wanted. Kept wishing for individual wheel brakes.

It does demonstrate ctfjr's point. Wouldn't have been an issue if the loader were on.
Does this mean that when using the box blade I will need the front end loader to be attached?

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
I built this carry all from a King Kutter frame about a month ago for my B2601. Plans at DIY My Way. It has already been used for spraying, hauling seed, fertilizer etc and carrying weedeaters and other tools around my place to do work. Side panels fold in. I still need to build the removable tail gate from a couple of 2x10's. Very useful for multiple purposes!
IMG_0691.jpg
IMG_0694.jpg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Does this mean that when using the box blade I will need the front end loader to be attached?
Not necessarily. My BB is not overly heavy, and I can use it without the FEl. Front (4WD) traction is compromised some without the FEL's weight, but it's still very much usable. Maybe just can't do real heavy ground-engaging.

If it were an issue, you could add front suitcase weights. However, I'd still hold that in abeyance until you see how it works first-hand.....kinda the same philosophy as not really needing one more implement....

Last edited:

robert2601

Aug 18, 2021
Afton,Tn
Not necessarily. My BB is not overly heavy, and I can use it without the FEl. Front (4WD) traction is compromised some without the FEL's weight, but it's still very much usable. Maybe just can't do real heavy ground-engaging.

If it were an issue, you could add front suitcase weights. However, I'd still hold that in abeyance until you see how it works first-hand.....kinda the same philosophy as not really needing one more implement....
Thanks RCW This forum is an educational experience for me. I appreciate comments from guys that have been there and done that.