Ballast box for BX2370; is the Landpride WB10 worth the price?

homehank

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 22, 2018
Hancock
How hard is it for one older person to install/remove the 108 lb box onto the TPH?
How hard is it to empty the box of sand and gravel weight?
Can the box be set onto the ground by the BX, and How high can the box be lifted off the ground ?
Is there a less expensive way to make a ballast weight for the Bx2370 other than the Landpride box sold by dealer?

Thanks

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The difficulty installing or removing a ballast box would depend on the condition of the older person, I guess. I'm 75 and have no problem. The first time for me was the worst. My three point wouldn't go low enough to pick it up. I managed to work a couple chunks of 6 X 6 under it to get it high enough. I always set it back down on my improvised raised platform when I take it back off. I don't know if a BX can grab it from the ground or not, I have an L2510. Likewise I don't know how high your BX can lift it. I don't ever empty mine, though it does have a sliding door in the back for doing so. I just put three concrete blocks into it. They do the job. My box has two vertical tubes for carrying a shovel or rake and a two inch receiver below if I wish to tow something. Shop around, you are not restricted to Land Pride. I don't ever take the blocks out of mine and I can carry chains back there, too. Mine came UPS and I think shipping was free. I wish it was orange but for the price I'll live with red. https://www.palletforks.com/

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm not much help with your questions, but certainly recommend a ballast box that's Quick Hitch compatible, and also getting a Quick Hitch.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I'm not sure why you want to empty it so my comments may not be apropos. I ordered an ebay special. iirc it was $240 and came from NJ in one day.
I made a frame that I dropped in it with a lifting lug and a couple of 1/2" threaded rods. The lifting lug came in handy - as another poster mentioned, I too had an issue hooking up because the lower pins were too low. Just lifted it with the lug and dropped it on a skid.
1st fitting in box.JPG

Then I filled it with concrete
ballast box filled 9 60lb bags concrete.jpg

I'll be 75 in a couple of weeks. Its no harder to hook up than any other 3 pt implenment.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Nothing worse than bumping ballast box and it falling over
20200705_134456.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I agree buying a QH is a good purchase assuming you spend enough time with it to learn how to use it, and buy real QH compatible implements.

I bought a cheapie ballast box on ebay. It’s still on my list to make QH compatible the pins are also very low to the ground. So, the Land Pride would have been used more, and I think it is larger. Also, I had to add QH compatible bushings to have a chance to make it work. The top pin doesn’t have enough height/depth to allow it to work.

What I’ve been doing is leaving my 72 inch grader/scraper on which is very heavy. The downside is it is quite a bit longer, but for sure provides excellent ballast otherwise.