Bad luck with tires and repair questions

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
This weekend I went out to my tractor and had a flat tire. Filled it up and found a pinhole leak, filled it up a couple more times to get some work done as the leak was real slow.
After calling a bunch of places finally found a tire shop that would work on my tire and put in a patch, everyone else said they don't have equipment to remount that small of a tire. They ended up not patching and instead put a tube in. They said they won't even try a patch with my tire type :rolleyes:. $60 later I get the tire back on and am back in business. Ran for about 2 hours, mowing my lawn and went out to finish the mowing, and now a different tire is flat, and a peice of wire is sticking out of the tread :mad:.

Now if they won't even try patching it, installing a tube does not sound too tough, am I crazy? I saw some information that tubes might help durability of the tire, is that true? Not real interested in another $60 repair this week. What about a plug, is that worth a try? I do have a harbor freight tire mounting tool, I've used for utility cart tire, but really haven't much experence with tires.

Tires are turf tires on a BX 2370, with not even 80 hours on it yet, and other than the holes in good shape.

Thanks

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You might try slime or some other tire sealer, also theres no reason a regular tire plug wont work unless its in the side wall. My self I would slime it, Im sure others have different ideas

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Slime sounds like your best, cheapest bet.

That harbor freight tire mounting tool won't even begin to budge a tractor tire.
(I have one for ATV tires) Three different tire shops with standard tire machines had trouble with my tractor tires. Had to go to a shop that specialized in heavy equipment tires.

jbbepic

Jan 11, 2017
Pittsburgh
Try using a plug. Sometimes you have to drill a little bit bigger hole , so the plug and the tool will kind of fit in easier by pushing into the tire . It does also take some umph! Or muscle To push that plug in, and hopefully the pin leak your talking about is not on the tread but in between. Be a little easier . I have done this on car and truck tires as well as atv tires, but not on my tractor, so far so good. Good luck! Once its plugged its good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Try using a plug. Sometimes you have to drill a little bit bigger hole , so the plug and the tool will kind of fit in easier by pushing into the tire .
Plug kit should come with a reamer for that.

And I would agree to try plugging it.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I had a leak in my front tire on my L4600, would take a week for it to go down.

The reamer that I have was very difficult to push through the tire. So I took a 3/16" drill bit and drilled out the hole, in and out 5 or 6 times. Then pushed the plug in, the brown ones they seem to be better than the black ones I have. Been 3 or 4 months since I did this and not once have I had to add air to the tire, plug worked fine for me, it was between the threads.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Slime and cold weather don't mix, especially in a tire that doesn't spin fast and doesn't get heated up from running on pavement. Plus if you ever change the tire your tire guy is going to hate you :p. Like others said get yourself a plug kit, they are worth their weight in gold when you need one. I carry them in my vehicles along with a small compressor, it sure beats changing a tire.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
There are plug patches that work well,but if a tire shop wont touch the small tractor tires then you need to tool up. Tubes are great, but a pre-existing hole will allow debris in and eventually damage tube so hole still needs to be addressed.
I use the brown camel plugs, best ones. Put some tire cement on them to aid installation.

Steve Neul

Equipment
B5200
Jun 3, 2017
Terrell, TX
This weekend I went out to my tractor and had a flat tire. Filled it up and found a pinhole leak, filled it up a couple more times to get some work done as the leak was real slow.
After calling a bunch of places finally found a tire shop that would work on my tire and put in a patch, everyone else said they don't have equipment to remount that small of a tire. They ended up not patching and instead put a tube in. They said they won't even try a patch with my tire type :rolleyes:. $60 later I get the tire back on and am back in business. Ran for about 2 hours, mowing my lawn and went out to finish the mowing, and now a different tire is flat, and a peice of wire is sticking out of the tread :mad:.

Now if they won't even try patching it, installing a tube does not sound too tough, am I crazy? I saw some information that tubes might help durability of the tire, is that true? Not real interested in another $60 repair this week. What about a plug, is that worth a try? I do have a harbor freight tire mounting tool, I've used for utility cart tire, but really haven't much experence with tires.

Tires are turf tires on a BX 2370, with not even 80 hours on it yet, and other than the holes in good shape.

Thanks
It sounds like you have the same tire people I have in my town. I even considered buying a tire machine but they are so expensive and I don't have space for it. The tire people now will use any excuse they can just to sell you a new tire.

I have a flat on a three rib front tire of my B5200 tractor and since the hole is close to the sidewall nobody will fix it. I ended up having to put plugs in the tires and slime. The tire guy wouldn't fix it because he was afraid the patch would fail at freeway speed and I would get killed and he would be responsible. Normally I think a plug does pretty good but this tire of mine has a hole big enough I had to put 4 plugs in it. With that and slime the tire will stay up for about two weeks.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have a flat on a three rib front tire of my B5200 tractor and since the hole is close to the sidewall nobody will fix it. I ended up having to put plugs in the tires and slime. The tire guy wouldn't fix it because he was afraid the patch would fail at freeway speed and I would get killed and he would be responsible

FREEWAY SPEED ON A B5200 KUBOTA ????... what may I ask was he smoking???? I think it may be time to find another tire shop

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
Thank you all, went ahead and got a plug kit and am right now waiting for everything to cure up right now. We'll see how it works. If that doesn't work I'll need to look around for another tire shop...

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I had a flat tire on my tractor and tried slime. It lasted for about a year, then just gave up the ghost. I bought a new tire online and tried to mount it myself. The tire came to me in a collapsed condition and no matter what I did I could not get the bead to seat. So I took it to my local Tire Factory and they seated the tire for me for free. They told me that their normal charge for seating a small tractor tire is $5.00, but in the interest of gaining a potential new customer they just did it gratis. It took them all of 5 minutes to get the tire seated. BTW, they did get a new customer, and some referrals to boot.