Bacteria

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes and yes. Growth is encouraged by water in the fuel, so first preventive measure is to keep tanks full to limit condensation as the fuel in the tank expands and contracts.

Many options. I only use this because it’s readily available locally. About $40 per container, but has lasted several years.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I second the PS products. A little education on the subject:

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Can bacteria grow in diesel fuel? If so is there a treatment for it?
I had a trawler yacht with 900 gal diesel capacity.
Always used Bio-Bor to prevent bacteria/algae growth.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Bio-Bor JF is a 20-Mule Team product….approved for use in jet-fuel aircraft…so it’s almost good enough for my Kubota. :p (I use it to treat the diesel in my storage tanks.)

Spores from yeasts (think of sourdough bread recipies) live in the air. As fuel is consumed…atmosphere enters the tanks. (Air above the fuel level in fuel tanks is called “Ullage”.)

The spores enter the condensation which occurs on fuel tank walls…and settles to the bottom of the fuel…where the spores germinate and grow…living in the water…eating the fuel…and POOPING their waste-products which is slimy and creates “mats” of slime (often mistakenly called “algae”). It clogs filters, injectors, and is corrosive to pumps, and tanks, etc.

Follow the directions CLOSELY if you use a biocide. Some of them, if merely “dumped” into the fuel instead of being introduced to the the fuel-stream when filling the tanks…will form “globs” of jelly and not perform as intended.

Reactions: 1 user