Backhoe ripper flop

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Love the USA Attachments KX-mini-x quick attach ripper attachment on the M59 TLB. Only problem is when laying back to connect it is balanced on the curved 1” thick blade and wants to flop over. A block of wood under the quick attach solves the problem but wanting something better and always on hand.

Made some shackle mounts from 1x3” flat bar. Welded to the ears above the quick attach plate. This gives the ripper a tripod stance when stored on the ground. Now also has proper rigging attachment points. Dealing with trees there is always pulling and digging to be needed.
D7EE1618-D6EC-4277-A4CD-D640EAD4F332.jpeg
FC3C1BDD-8943-4953-8D3E-71144EEF2335.jpeg
87D899E4-17B9-4A19-A4DE-F24587DEE205.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Love the USA Attachments KX-mini-x quick attach ripper attachment on the M59 TLB. Only problem is when laying back to connect it is balanced on the curved 1” thick blade and wants to flop over. A block of wood under the quick attach solves the problem but wanting something better and always on hand.

Made some shackle mounts from 1x3” flat bar. Welded to the ears above the quick attach plate. This gives the ripper a tripod stance when stored on the ground. Now also has proper rigging attachment points. Dealing with trees there is always pulling and digging to be needed.
View attachment 99216 View attachment 99217 View attachment 99218
In your 3rd picture it appears that the lynch pin is missing from your Q/A (1-3/16" pin.)
I quit using lynch pins there, because the lynch pins easily become dislodged, and the big pin gets lost.
That big pin is $80+plus shipping.
I just use a bolt, with two hand tighted nuts.
Pin no longer falls out!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Good observation. Had the bolt out of the pin to move it to either side and flush for welding and painting. Doing some other mods on other attachments sneaking away from the honey do list.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Nice! I like that ripper you got. One question, it appears your bucket link to cylinder is upside down. Was that for clearance?

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Nice! I like that ripper you got. One question, it appears your bucket link to cylinder is upside down. Was that for clearance?
Nothing gets past you guys! I did flip the cast links because that barely hit the new KX- excavator coupler. The curves also didn’t fit new coupler like the pin-on old bucket. Found a new position and welded 3” flat stops.

Most modifications were to the thumb. Easy compared to a new $2,000 Kubota compatible thumb.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

View attachment 99216 View attachment 99217 View attachment 99218
Good idea. I'm making plans to fab up a ripper to fit my QA BH using 1" AR400 for the tooth and putting a saw tooth pattern on the inside of the hook for cutting roots.

Do you have any likes/dislikes or other wishes for your setup?

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Good idea. I'm making plans to fab up a ripper to fit my QA BH using 1" AR400 for the tooth and putting a saw tooth pattern on the inside of the hook for cutting roots.

CE3CD432-C433-4D5D-A0EE-D00D60E6C7D0.jpeg

With a 24.5” blade it’s 1.5” from boom.
Like the heavy tooth. Sharpen to sharp chisel point helps break break bigger roots. Easy to sharpen.
Like the curved vs straight blades.
Still on fence how well sharpening the front edge or teeth would add. 1” Shank still has rather sharp edges. The blade has enough beef to sharpen or add teeth. If I can’t break a root move a 1’ or 2’ out and try again. Usually want to remove the bigger roots as well as the stump.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee

F6D10815-F5A8-413F-A7B7-035B3C6D53B7.jpeg

Might consider teeth design like on the Danuser Intimdator made to cut roots in soil. Know they cut well with a sawing action. A template with the plasma cutter could cut the shape.

Some spikey ripper teeth I don’t see them helping much. Having a good tooth tip so far does good splitting and tearing bigger roots.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
View attachment 100001
Might consider teeth design like on the Danuser Intimdator made to cut roots in soil. Know they cut well with a sawing action. A template with the plasma cutter could cut the shape.

Some spikey ripper teeth I don’t see them helping much. Having a good tooth tip so far does good splitting and tearing bigger roots.

Other users of sawtooth rippers (BXpanded) have mentioned that a BH does not offer much up/down motion for sawtooth action.
I think the teeth look kinda cool, but they are likely not wildly beneficial.

In our earlier ripper discussion, I mentioned that I am going to get the - Ox Thumbs- 28" ripper for my L48 TLB with Q/A.
You have pointed out that your 24.5" tooth (USA Attachments?) clears the boom by only 1.5".
I now note that you do not have the Q/A, so I do think there may be a bit more clearance with tmy l48, due to the Q/A mount design.

I am quite anxious to order this new root ripper toy, but am still in FL., and must be in MA (Democratic Peoples Republic of Taxachusetts☹) to receive shipment.
Three more weeks!

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Other users of sawtooth rippers (BXpanded) have mentioned that a BH does not offer much up/down motion for sawtooth action.

In our earlier ripper discussion, I mentioned that I am going to get the - Ox Thumbs- 28" ripper for my L48 TLB with Q/A.
You have pointed out that your 24.5" tooth (USA Attachments?) clears the boom by only 1.5".
I now note that you do not have the Q/A, so I do think there may be a bit more clearance with the l48, due to the Q/A mount design.

I am quite anxious to order this new root ripper toy, but am still in FL., and must be in MA (Democratic Peoples Republic of Taxachusetts☹) to receive shipment.
Three more weeks!
That is a standard Kubota KX- 040,91,121 and U35 excavator quick attach ripper and do have matching coupler on the backhoe.

BXpanded makes good stuff. Just 5miles away. They even say their design is too flimsy to handle a B26. Still want a ripper for it but nobody makes one. They did make me a special weld-in Piranha bar for the M59 FEL bucket that works great.

Slowly working an adapter so I can use the KX excavator attachments on the B26. Mainly the ripper. Adapter will have a receiver hitch too.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT

I now note that you do not have the Q/A, so I do think there may be a bit more clearance with tmy l48, due to the Q/A mount design.

Three more weeks!
You could have it shipped to me and then you could come to Southbridge to pick it up, and I will even buy you lunch.

I just checked the distance ( 2 hr 26 minutes) (141.5 miles). Do you have an airplane? If you do, you could fly into Southbridge airport and I could meet you there.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You could have it shipped to me and then you could come to Southbridge to pick it up, and I will even buy you lunch.

I just checked the distance ( 2 hr 26 minutes) (141.5 miles). Do you have an airplane? If you do, you could fly into Southbridge airport and I could meet you there.
A generous offer! ;)
I have not flown for 22 years now, but what I flew in my last 5 years, had a maximum landing weight of 630,000 lbs (empty approx.400,000 lbs).
Probably a bit much for the Southbridge runway.:ROFLMAO:
Besides, my employer (former) would likely have frowned upon the idea.
I did own a light twin......back in 1990.

I do not know how much shipping will be for the ripper, assuming LTL......probably $150+, from GA., but (like Kubota zero interest) it is baked into the purchase price.
I will have it shipped to a local businessman friend,..... if the seller requires shipping to business address.
Actual weight of ripper is 112 lbs. + small pallet (?).

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I will have to respectfully disagree with them.

After using mine for a while, I was finally was able to feather the controls enough to make make it "saw"

It takes some practice, but it does work ....I'd rate my ability to use it this way from "OK to pretty good'ish"

I think with some more practice it will be even more beneficial.

Paul

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I will have to respectfully disagree with them.

After using mine for a while, I was finally was able to feather the controls enough to make make it "saw"

It takes some practice, but it does work ....I'd rate my ability to use it this way from "OK to pretty good'ish"

I think with some more practice it will be even more beneficial.

Paul
I agree 100% Paul. Even tough the BX Ripper is nothing more than a fancy shaped piece of steel, technique makes all the difference in the world. When I first got it, I struggled with it and thought it was worthless attachment. Then I changed up my approach on how to use it and it's much better now. There are still limitations if you have a smaller backhoe , but I'm much better with it than originally.