Backhoe hydraulic leak

Yarg

Equipment
L35
May 25, 2018
Catskills ny
Hello I have a lightly used 1999 Kubota l35. Last year I had my first hydraulic line leak in my backhoe... Bucket dip... What a bear to get that replaced!.. there is no room in that sleeve, very difficult to work with. After a couple of weeks of use I noticed another leak from the bottom of boom..even though very light still have not figured out which line it is
..so I guess the best way is to isolate joystick motion and see what causes the drips...right?
Do you guys generally switch out all the lines at once, as a time interval thing because sometimes inspection doesn't always tell what's happening right?
Any tips for taking out and putting new hose in that sleeve would be appreciated !!Thanks

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I lift the rear off the ground using the stabilizers and put 2 jack stands under there for support. Take the pressure off the stabilizers but leave them in contact with the ground. Then I lay the arm all the way straight out the bucket full out (teeth touching the ground) then remove the one bolt and pin that pinches the sleeve all the hoses go through. Start the tractor and retract the piston a bit and then the hoses will have tons of room to be snaked through. I do one at a time when they pop. I dont use my machine for income so if its down the 2 days it takes for the hose to show up on my doorstep from amazon prime its no big deal to me. If it turns out its the piston seal inside the boom I swing the boom 90 degrees off to the right or left, use the same procedure as above and the piston will slide out without too much of a fight.

Last edited:

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
when you pull the new hose through, pull a good strong cord through as well. The next time you have to replace a hose, the cord will be a big help pulling the new hose. I did that with my L35s and was glad I did.

Sodark

Equipment
2018 B2650 HST ROPS, BH77 Backhoe
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
when you pull the new hose through, pull a good strong cord through as well. The next time you have to replace a hose, the cord will be a big help pulling the new hose. I did that with my L35s and was glad I did.
Can't you just tie the string to the hose bring replaced as you pull it out?

Yarg

Equipment
L35
May 25, 2018
Catskills ny
So a friend of mine said he would fix it for me and when I went to see him he could not find the leak so he cut the sleeve out and said I do not need it he's going to use good cable ties.... Is it safe to not have sleeve on all those hoses inside backhoe and if it's. What do you recommend to use since it's been cut out thank you

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Cut the leg off that old pair of jeans your wife wants you to quit wearing.

The sleeve is also a safety-restraint for a blown hose besides keeping wear from abrasion down to a minimum.

Yarg

Equipment
L35
May 25, 2018
Catskills ny
So the local shop wants $75 for a five foot section of backhoe hose it has 45 on one end and a street on the other 3/8 fitting and hose... Is that where is should be or where you guys get your hoses thanks

Yarg

Equipment
L35
May 25, 2018
Catskills ny
I left the hose that I need at the farm but on a diagram I know which hose it is does anyone know how I would find out length of hose for the BT 900 thank you

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Been lurking so I'm using this as my excuse to register. I went through the same exercise on my L35 last year. Bought the hose from my local NAPA dealer - about $72. The nut was one size bigger so I had to grind out the slot in the boom to get it through. If you can wait a couple of days, you can get it from your dealer or Messick's for le$$ and it fits perfectly. Sorry, don't have the dimensions for you.
BTW, L35's method is easier. I managed to snake the first one through the sleeve and that swivel, but it wore me out. Lay the boom and dipper out straight. Depressure the system and remove the boom cylinder pin that the hose bundle goes under. Permanently mark all the hoses on both ends and on the valve so you can get them back on the right place. I used an engraver. Remove all 6 hoses at the valve and that sleeve slides right off. Tie a cord or wire on the hose you're replacing to pull the new one in. Replace the hose, slide the sleeve on, screw the fittings back on the valve, re-pin the cylinder rod, couple of heavy tie-wraps and you're back in business. Sounds like a lot but it's much easier than pulling it through.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
New Guy on L35

I've been lurking for over a year and finally decided to register. Grew up in a small town. When I was a teenager, my dad decided I needed a taste of farm life so he and my uncle bought a few cows. My dad owned a hardware store and his brother lived out of state, so I provided the labor. Dad had an Allis Chalmers model C (no PTO overrunning clutch/brakes optional) so he bought a 66" trailer type bushhog and I started mowing pasture and hay field. After surviving a couple of years without running off in the creek, he went to an auction and came back with a '57 MF 50 gasser with a couple thousand hours on it. With 12volt system, wide front end, low exhaust and 2 stage clutch it was like a Cadillac. No power steering so I developed pretty good upper body. That served 'til I left home and the cattle business was sold. Dad used that rig to keep his treefarm trimmed until it was stolen. He bought a Ford 8N? And 3pt bushhog from a sister for odd jobs. It was a little light for a six foot cutter but he got by. A few years after he retired, he decided to splurge and buy his first new tractor - a Ford 3930 and 6' bush hog. Power steering even. Great utility tractor but 2wd, no synchronizers, no loader. So about a year ago, having a little cash from cutting some timber, I started thinking about loaders, backhoes, hydraulics etc to maintain the treefarm better. So after studying and window shopping (largely thanks to OTT), I found Katy, an '04 L35 with about 2100? hours. She's a little rough around the edges and puffs a little on startup, but her chassis/powertrain seems good. The GlideShift is miles ahead of open gear. She misplaced her 3 pt accessories somewhere, but I doubt the hoe has ever been off and we'll keep mowing with big Blue. She's required a little more maintenance than I expected, but as long as it doesn't involve engine/transmission surgery I'm good. I've even gotten pretty good at hose and cylinder repair and rewarded her with LED headlights and worklights so she can go out at night.
I've received a lot of help from you folks at OTT, and I've got some projects with some pictures to post when I can.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Re: New Guy on L35

Welcome aboard potreeboy. Cant beat the value of a L35, they are true workhorses!