Backhoe hook

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
People like Paul always have me thinking. I have several tree branches that have fallen over the last couple of years in my backyard ( 100 year old dried lake bed) they fall out of trees faster than I can get them up! Having hooks on the front bucket is great, but that means you have to drive backwards to move them from point A to B.

So, what if I put a hook on the backhoe? Now I didnt want to weld onto the bucket, but if I could place a hook in a certain spot that could be easily used and the bucket still be used, bullyah!

With this I can rope or chain around a small branch - and then lift it off the ground a few inches and drag on! The 1/2" metal plate simply makes sandwich between the web members on the bucket pivot arm.

I will not be placing any more stress on the arm than I would be trying to dig up large stump. And buy curling the bucket I can regulate how high the limb comes off the ground. I have curled the bucket forwards and backwards and have not seen any pinch or bind points.

I will test it out hopefully this weekend if the #$#@# weather holds on.

Attachments

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I think it looks great!

Just a word of caution since, unlike Paul, I have a pile of things that didn't work. I once put a 2nd arm in the middle of my backhoe, to extend its reach. It worked great! One day the bucket was in a hole, and I absent-mindedly - I have always done a lot of that - climbed on the tractor and drove away. The terrain is a bit of top soil over rotten granite and granite. The cylinder of the new arm was extended, and the walls of the hole did not give, so the new cylinder rod bent into a "J" curve. The whole thing became another prize for my pile!

If you pull with the digger stick retracted (cylinder extended) you put that cylinder at some risk. If you retract the cylinder and extend the digger stick, you can put terrific strain on the swing mechanisms. When you operate the backhoe, your pressure reliefs limit the strength of the backhoe functions. As soon as you close the valves, the sky is the limit; you can get force enough to break things.

I'd mount the hook on the backhoe frame if some of those branches are awesome.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think it looks great!

Just a word of caution since, unlike Paul, I have a pile of things that didn't work. I once put a 2nd arm in the middle of my backhoe, to extend its reach. It worked great! One day the bucket was in a hole, and I absent-mindedly - I have always done a lot of that - climbed on the tractor and drove away. The terrain is a bit of top soil over rotten granite and granite. The cylinder of the new arm was extended, and the walls of the hole did not give, so the new cylinder rod bent into a "J" curve. The whole thing became another prize for my pile!

If you pull with the digger stick retracted (cylinder extended) you put that cylinder at some risk. If you retract the cylinder and extend the digger stick, you can put terrific strain on the swing mechanisms. When you operate the backhoe, your pressure reliefs limit the strength of the backhoe functions. As soon as you close the valves, the sky is the limit; you can get force enough to break things.

I'd mount the hook on the backhoe frame if some of those branches are awesome.
You are exactly right! I know the limits of the dipper stick and arm, Paul also said make sure not to pull side to side! I just need an ability to lift something 6" off the ground to drag.... I could see a royal fiyuck up coming if I were to get carried away.

I have an old set of ICE thongs that i found at a flee market, they will snatch a railroad tie like nobodies business!!! I used it a lot behind a boom pole....

This weekend I hope to grab a couple of 6-8" branches and drag the 'ell out f them!!!

thanks for the words of wisdom - I too could screw up a one car funeral !!!:D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I welded a mount on my hoe bucket. Sure make a handy lifting point.
very nice !
i used mine a couple of times, almost got the front end off the ground...:rolleyes:

i really dont like booming or sticking out......and be careful when pulling from an angle.........

nice to drag with !!!!

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
One of our members had welded a hunk of metal on the inside top of his bucket with a hole drilled so it would accept a shackle. From the pic it was centered on the inside top of the bucket and with the shackle attached would allow one to pick up fallen tree limbs and then drag them to where they would be cut up. Frank