Backhoe fittings for 3rd function?

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
If One were to remove their backhoe(BX25D) would it be possible to use the BH hydraulics for a grapple out front via routed hoses?

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
yes, but see if the dual rear remote option is available for your tractor first !
I already have the BX25D…
Was thinking of upgrading to. B series but I will keep mine and buy a quick detach bucket for it and a grapple…if I could use the BH connectors…no?

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I already have the BX25D…
Was thinking of upgrading to. B series but I will keep mine and buy a quick detach bucket for it and a grapple…if I could use the BH connectors…no?
I didn’t think about controlling a grapple from the BH hydraulics….that would require some serious hacking of the BH diverter I guess? Just thinking out loud about how to add a grapple without installing a 3rd function kit. (I know there are electric and mechanical ones…

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
I like, I'm watching to see if one of the experts can figure this out. Was thinking I would leave the BH on for counterweight & for valve use, then realized I cannot use the BH valves for the Grapple because its all in one, So wont work for me unless the hoses went to a control valve from the BH quick connects, so a 3rd function setup would probably be cheaper and easier. Shucks. will be interesting to hear the experts input.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
If One were to remove their backhoe(BX25D) would it be possible to use the BH hydraulics for a grapple out front via routed hoses?
No need to remove the hoe. Just mount a new valve up front and plumb it into the backhoe circuit. That could be as simple as running a hose from the backhoe quick connect on the rear to the new valve and another from there back to the hoe.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
No need to remove the hoe. Just mount a new valve up front and plumb it into the backhoe circuit. That could be as simple as running a hose from the backhoe quick connect on the rear to the new valve and another from there back to the hoe.

Dan
You offer a good solution! Thanks!
I wonder why there are no YouTube videos of someone doing this?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You offer a good solution! Thanks!
I wonder why there are no YouTube videos of someone doing this?
Because it's really not the best option.
Just get a third function valve and hook it up the proper and permanent way and save a lot of abuse in the long run.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

Dan
Isn't that the same as a third function setup?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I'm assuming OP is trying to avoid purchasing a valve.
Why not
* tie up the right outrigger so it can't fall
* remove the hoses from the outrigger cylinder and cap the cylinder fittings
* couple long hoses to the outrigger hoses on one end and the grapple on the other

It'll be inconvenient to use the outrigger lever to control the grapple, but won't it work? Or use the swing circuit.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I'm assuming OP is trying to avoid purchasing a valve.
Why not
* tie up the right outrigger so it can't fall
* remove the hoses from the outrigger cylinder and cap the cylinder fittings
* couple long hoses to the outrigger hoses on one end and the grapple on the other

It'll be inconvenient to use the outrigger lever to control the grapple, but won't it work? Or use the swing circuit.
Just looking to discover options where I have “extra” hydraulics (BH) to operate a grapple. The Bh gets very little use now.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just looking to discover options where I have “extra” hydraulics (BH) to operate a grapple. The Bh gets very little use now.
I think some confusion lays in the fact that the BH connections are just an uncontrolled fluid loop.
It has no control, so you would have to add a valve to that loop or as others have suggested disconnect something on the BH and use that controlled output for the third function.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I think some confusion lays in the fact that the BH connections are just an uncontrolled fluid loop.
It has no control, so you would have to add a valve to that loop or as others have suggested disconnect something on the BH and use that controlled output for the third function.
Yes I realize a diverter at minimum is required.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes I realize a diverter at minimum is required.
No not a diverter, You would need a full spool valve.
If you wanted to use a diverter, you could use that on the loader curl circuit.
Diverters only work on controlled circuits.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
PoTreeBoy's simple, easy solution will work just fine. The tractor dont care if it's controlling the 'leg' or the 'grapple'. Probably the cheapest way to do it too !

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Nice! Can you show me what the hyd connections are in the back please?
Sure. I am not familiar with the specifics of your machine but if its like most you should have two hoses going to the hoe. One is the pressure supply from the tractor and one is the return from the hoe. Disconnect the supply hose going to the hoe and use a new hose and quick connector to connect that hose to the pump IN on the new valve. Then use another hose and quick coupler to connect the OUT on the valve to the hoe. Thats it. Your valve/ grapple will work with the hoe on the tractor. If you take the hoe off just loop the new hose going to the hoe into the return line like you have been doing.

Now before I get chastised this setup should really be using a valve with a power beyond port to feed the hoe and a separate tank return port hooked to the tractor. That plumbing is a little more involved but still easy to do. You just need to add a tee to the tank return line on the loader valve and use a third hose to hook the tank port on the new valve to it. Three hoses gives you a "real" third function and/or remotes.

If you buy a valve with more than one spool you use the same hookup and it gives you multiple remotes.

Dan