Back in the day.

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
Remember back in the day when you made a purchase and the cashier gave you your change. The bills were all turned the same way and with no folded corners, etc. Nowadays they hand you a hand full of wadded up money that looks like a rat's nest. Damn, that irritates me!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Sorry for the rant.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes it does, but really if your think about it schools dont teach math any more, its some kind of ,,well it dont matter if you got the answer at least you tryed,,, thing. And gawd forbid if your bill comes to 2.37 and you give then 2.50,,,You got the deer caught in the head lights look
Was in wallyworld a while back and the cashier, rang me up and counted my change back to me,, I said you know I cant remember the last time anyone did that,, she smiled and said her folks had a business and if she didnt count it back she would slapped upside the back of the head .

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
One of our granddaughters stayed with us for a couple of days this week. She's in the second grade. I made her a multiplication table (1 thru 12) like we used "back in the day". She thought that was really "cool". She picked right up on it. Said she was going to show it to her teacher.:)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Most of the time the cashiers who can't count change or do simple math irritate the hell out of me, but occasionally I throw them the ultimate curveball just for laughs. Say the purchase comes to $7.27- I hand them $10.27 and watch the hilarity- they are simply lost, totally & completely. When I explain it to them, they think I'm trying to pull a fast one, and always want to give the 27 cents back. It becomes pretty obvious why these kids get into trouble with credit cards & car loans- they have virtually no education or common sense when it comes to money.

Years ago my wife worked with a young girl who bought a new car, and she was proud to show it off. When asked what she paid, the girl replied "$435 a month". My wife pressed further wanting the total price paid for the car, but the only answer she could got was "$435 a month". She couldn't even tell us how many months. My wife & I sat down with the girl, her paperwork, a calculator, and a KBB. Turns out she bought a $34,000 car, put $10,500 down, bought all the extended warranties, paint sealant, undercoating, tire warranties, etc, & had a 7 year loan at a ridiculously high interest rate, and was going to end up paying almost $70,000 for the car. On top of that, she traded in a car worth $2350 and just signed over the title, receiving nothing for it. We tried to get her to go to the local news or the attorney general, but she was too embarrassed.

She is probably Obama's financial czar now.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sawmill, "One of our granddaughters stayed with us for a couple of days this week. She's in the second grade. I made her a multiplication table (1 thru 12) like we used "back in the day". She thought that was really "cool". She picked right up on it. Said she was going to show it to her teacher."

You will now be investigated for child abuse. Yea, trying to confuse a child. Making them solve math problems so old fashioned way.

zload

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2400HSD/47 John Deere Model M
Apr 14, 2015
FL
Sawmill, "One of our granddaughters stayed with us for a couple of days this week. She's in the second grade. I made her a multiplication table (1 thru 12) like we used "back in the day". She thought that was really "cool". She picked right up on it. Said she was going to show it to her teacher."

You will now be investigated for child abuse. Yea, trying to confuse a child. Making them solve math problems so old fashioned way.
I was thinking the teacher would tell her to throw it away since they "don't do math" that way anymore...

kckndrgn

Equipment
BX2370 w/ 60" MMM and FEL, Box Blade, Bush Hog, Carry All & Tiller
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
A few years ago (actually about 7, wow) I used to work part time at a local gun range/store. The owner there was adamant that the bills be put in all facing the same way. Every employee who worked at the register would put the bills in the correct way, not because we feared him, but, as his response to many that questioned it was "I am the owner, I am OCD about how the money should be put in the register, please do it."

Now the fun part was when some "youngster" would come in and pay us using change that looked "funny". I knew what it was, some others new it too, but didn't understand why I would quickly buy it back from the drawer. In one night I came home with $3.00 in pre-65 silver quarters.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Back in the day, I worked for a now defunct store called "Smittys" that was way ahead of it's time- department store & grocery under one roof. I was manager of hardware, and just as the Sunday morning rush hit, an old gentleman wanted some (a lot) of advice & help with some paint. Other customers were stacking up, my help was no where to be found, and to top it off, the old guy wanted to pay his $26+ bill in change. I let him start counting, and began ringing up other customers. We he was ready, I just swept his $26 in change into a money pouch, gave him a receipt, and planned on counting it out later. When the rush was over, I counted it out, and the old gentleman was right on, with one exception- one of his nickels was actually a US $5 gold piece. I swapped it for one of my nickels, and waited for him to come back for it, but he never did. Still have it today.

Attachments

tcartpilot

Equipment
BX2370 Loader Rotary Mower
Jun 28, 2015
Philomath,OR
I started my working life working retail in a grocery store where everyone was taught this! Putting cash away this way makes sure you have to look at every bill that goes into your till double checking you got the right amount and handing it back it makes sure that the customer is getting the right amount of change.

The grocery store where I worked was just off campus in a university town. Not just kids that can't count change. You should see a english lit professor try and do it!

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
In regards to the '$10.27 for $5.27' example: I did that in our small local market once. The poor (young) gal behind the counter had totaled me up on the register, assuming I would use a debit card. She actually made me wait until she located a calculator to determine the change I was due.

Counting change-due, back up to the amount tendered, is also a thing of the past. Hand over a ten dollar bill for a four dollar purchase. Used to be you were told: One makes five and five makes ten.

How did I get to be such a grumpy old man so soon in life? :D