Back hoe quit

lheward01

Equipment
B2150
Jun 13, 2013
Holly, MI
I have a b2150 with a woods 750 back hoe. I was doing some digging over the weekend putting in a culvert. I dug a trench about 80 feet long and the hoe worked fine, I then moved some dirt to cover the culvert and when leveling it out I noted the bucket on my back hoe drug the ground a couple of times when I went down a hill. I did not think anything of it, but I went to dig out an area at the end and now the hoe will not extend. It move left to right fine, the out riggers work fine and the bucket curls fine, so the hydraulics are working. The tractor goes under some strain when trying to extend the arm. Almost feels like the hydraulics are going over relief. On my way home the arm released (went out) a small bit may be 6 inches and when it came back in fine, but still will not extend. Any ideas? I would like to have a direction to look in before diving in.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I just had a very similar issue with my bh75...

I finally figured out that something was caught in the valve that controls the particular function. First I had the figure out if the ram was bypassing hydro fluid...so you will have to check that first...see if the ram is or is not the problem. Next thing is the valve assembly...which is where my problem was...one issue though...is that I actually never found the likely metal shaving ( guess)..

I think what actually ended up happening was that my effort to clean out the valve...moved the problem to another valve in the valve block....which actually confirmed that there was something in the valve assembly...I ended up taking the second valve apart and somehow that shook lose the problem and everything works fine...total pain in the ass though...

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Try changing the hoses on the control valve so the suspect cylinder is run by one of the valves you know are working correctly. That will tell you if it is the valve or the cylinder causing the problems.

lheward01

Equipment
B2150
Jun 13, 2013
Holly, MI
Thanks for the advise, we cleaned up the valve and when testing the cylinder came apart. It looks like the piston came unscrewed some how from the shaft. I will take it to a shop and get the cylinder rebuilt.