b9200, b20, bx25d

Redpine

Equipment
B21 TLB, b9200d, bf350
Apr 24, 2014
Seattle
local dealer has a 1998 b20 (spoke to dealer again it is a B21!) coming in with FEL, backhoe and canopy. Wants 13,000-13,500 for it depending on what they have to do. estimate trade in value for b9200 at 3-4k. lower hp with same lift capacity. Dealer claims even with lower hp than the b9200 that the b20 is a more powerful machine because of the hydraulics. Would i basically be paying 10k for a backhoe? wheel base actually slightly narrower on the b20. would i be better off finding a way to spring for the bx25d?

Currently have a non hst b9200
1. Need a backhoe
2. Tippy, would like to have more stability as we have a hilly terrain
3. Would like power steering and hst
4. ROPS that is tall enough so if i did roll over, my head would not hit the ground to protect the ROPS.

Last edited:

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
It all depends on what you need the machine for . The price on that 20 is pretty high . You can find used and newer and bigger for less . At least around here . I am absolutely amazed at what my 25D will do . That thing has more balls than weight . For me it fit my needs perfectly . You can get wheel spacers for stability . Also have the tires loaded . But honestly you won't tip her over if you have any fear at all . You can feel when things are getting tipy . But , backhoes are expensive . Make sure you have enough work to justify the cost . I love mine and wouldn't be without it . Hope that helped . In short - the 20, too much money . For stability-loaded tires and spacers . For the 25D - you won't be dissapointed .

HickoryNut

Equipment
BX25DLB/PForks,Front Blade,3PH,and 3Pt STUFF, BXPanded UA, Piranha, BH Dolly,Rip
Apr 15, 2011
NE Georgia
It all depends on what you need the machine for . The price on that 20 is pretty high . You can find used and newer and bigger for less . At least around here . I am absolutely amazed at what my 25D will do . That thing has more balls than weight . For me it fit my needs perfectly . You can get wheel spacers for stability . Also have the tires loaded . But honestly you won't tip her over if you have any fear at all . You can feel when things are getting tipy . But , backhoes are expensive . Make sure you have enough work to justify the cost . I love mine and wouldn't be without it . Hope that helped . In short - the 20, too much money . For stability-loaded tires and spacers . For the 25D - you won't be dissapointed .
Yea, what he said!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
local dealer has a 1998 b20 coming in with FEL, backhoe and canopy. Wants 13,000-13,500 for it depending on what they have to do. estimate trade in value for b9200 at 3-4k. lower hp with same lift capacity. Dealer claims even with lower hp than the b9200 that the b20 is a more powerful machine because of the hydraulics. Would i basically be paying 10k for a backhoe? wheel base actually slightly narrower on the b20. would i be better off finding a way to spring for the bx25d?

Currently have a non hst b9200
1. Need a backhoe
2. Tippy, would like to have more stability as we have a hilly terrain
3. Would like power steering and hst
4. ROPS that is tall enough so if i did roll over, my head would not hit the ground to protect the ROPS.
Looking at the 3 .....

WHAT HOURS ARE ON THE B20??????:) MIGHT be the most important question here, can you see this machine and take a picture of it?

http://www.tractordata.com/backhoe-loader/000/1/3/130-kubota-b20.html

the B20 is a hellva machine, it has a pump that pushes TWICE as much fluid as the 25D.

The bucket on the B20 is WIDER......8" wider......

here is MORE info found on the B20 :

D950-A-T 56.6 cu.in water-cooled 3-cylinder diesel
20HP gross
17.5HP net
13.5 PTO HP @ 2600RPM
5.3 gal fuel tank
4.2 qts cooling system
4.1 qts engine oil
30.6 qts hydrostatic fluid
0-11.31mph traveling speed

Standard:
3-range hydro
540 rear PTO
Position control (3PH lift of 1279lbs @ LP; 1014lbs 24" behind)
Fixed mount loader
NO mid PTO
R4 tires (R1 rears optional)
Dual hydraulic pumps (one for FEL, one for BH ---12.7GPM total)
4WD
Power steering
Steel plate slanted nose

Dimensions:
106.7" length
53.7" width
60.4" wheelbase
9.2' turning circle (w/o brake)

TL420 Loader Standard (B20 TL)
56" buckets (square or round back... round is heavy duty) w/6.35 cu. ft. capacity
86.3" max lift height
66.1" clearance w/bucket dumped
23.8" reach @ max height
40 degree max dump angle
56.9" reach on ground
40 degree max rollback angle
6.5" digging depth
926lbs max lift capacity
1543lbs breakout force
Lift to full height in 2.9 seconds
Rollback in 2.3 seconds
Standard self leveling

BT750 Backhoe Optional (B20 TLB/BT650 standard)
92.9" digging depth

(750 stands for 7.5' digging depth... 650 stands for 6.5'. Later models all came with the 750.)

Now as for the BX25D.................now you talk about the little train that could .....this is a machine that will move a mountain, ONE bite at a time, I have had one for 2 years, fineeeeeeeee machine. Really- Really worth every penny that you spend on it.

Your B9200 has a four banger, where the other 2 only have 3 cylinders.
Your machine now will burn more fuel per hour I am going to guess than the other two.

the B20 has a width of 1.5" less than yours .....
the BX25 will be a lot narrower......44.5 wide

Based on what I read - your 9200 has a FEL - and it is a 50" bucket?

The real meat comes down to this ............

B25D will be a NEW machine - your baby, if you buy you should be out the door in under 18,19K.....that is w/o mmm .....I paid right at 20k for all 3 parts.

The B25D is ALL hydrostatic .........steering is with your pinky! Rops and all that good stuff!:)

The B20 will come with much the same tires as you have now.....much bigger than the BX25.

and as far as trading in your machine, I would tell your dealer to go #$%#$@#.....well you know what I am saying......

look at some of these :

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/grq/4912470547.html

your machine is worth TWICE what your trade in - which ever you buy - keep this one - place it online and wait - someone will give you 6k for it (assuming it is in good shape)

If you do not have the cash up front to drop on the B20, then finance the B25 and pay 350 a month....then when you sell your B9200 - you will have cash in hand!

I would REALLY need to see the B20.....I think you buy it :

IF it has some hours lower than 1000 or close to it
If it is in "good" shape
AND I would test every aspect of it - especially the HOE

AND if the dealer gets under 12k!

Redpine

Equipment
B21 TLB, b9200d, bf350
Apr 24, 2014
Seattle
The b9200 is in fairly good shape. It has always been stored indoors and other than a few dents on the hood the two problems are;

1. meter is broken so no way to know hours (meter only goes to 999.9)
2. needs a clutch. I start in gear and then it shifts fine as long as I keep it synchronized i.e. coast - depress clutch - shift. I am used to it and have been driving this way for 4 years with no problems.

Should i sell as is or get the clutch fixed first. It is something that is beyond my skill set and i know it is not cheap.

b20 was bought from the dealer in 1998 owned by an institution and was well maintained. Waiting for pics and hours.

Teese

Equipment
B20
Jul 19, 2013
Lynden, WA
Hello from the far North (yesterday we suffered a bitter +59F here at Lat 49)!
B20's are easily separated from their 3PH lower links, lift rods and check chains ... and may even have been originally shipped without that equipment ... those parts aren't cheap, so whatever the price you may dicker at, be sure it includes them unless you have absolutely no intention of doing anything but moving dirt.

Redpine

Equipment
B21 TLB, b9200d, bf350
Apr 24, 2014
Seattle
Just spoke with the dealer. It is actually a b21!
just over 2000 hours. Waiting for the new one they are trading it in on to be built before it is available. 3-4 weeks

I looked at the craigslist post, our b9200 is way way cleaner than that one. Ours has FEL no mower.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
2. needs a clutch. I start in gear and then it shifts fine as long as I keep it synchronized i.e. coast - depress clutch - shift. I am used to it and have been driving this way for 4 years with no problems.

Should i sell as is or get the clutch fixed first. It is something that is beyond my skill set and i know it is not cheap.

Redpine, replacing a clutch is a lot of work, but selling it with a bad clutch will really hurt your resale price. Discounted parts can be found, and information on how to perform the repair is readily available. Do yourself a favor and research fixing the clutch before selling it!

Oh, and regardless of how trivial you think your system of shifting is, I assure you, no buyer will share your opinion!

Redpine

Equipment
B21 TLB, b9200d, bf350
Apr 24, 2014
Seattle
Redpine, replacing a clutch is a lot of work, but selling it with a bad clutch will really hurt your resale price. Discounted parts can be found, and information on how to perform the repair is readily available. Do yourself a favor and research fixing the clutch before selling it!

Oh, and regardless of how trivial you think your system of shifting is, I assure you, no buyer will share your opinion!
Lol I am well aware it is not a selling point. That has been my work around not having the skill or available funds at the time to replace the clutch. I will see what i can do to replace it.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I've never been faced with what you're looking at, so please believe that I understand your hesitation -- I'm intimidated by all the issues that are developing in my old gal. I do have the advantage of having worked on my own vehicles, including total engine overhauls and several clutch replacements. Of course, that was when I was helping Noah with the ark, and overhauling a donkey included extra hay and a day off...;)

Found a video on the site that may help you see that yes, you can do it:
Kubota Clutch Overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1psb8DKmrnE

Found a clutch on eBay:
New Kubota Tractor Clutch Disc B2150 HSD B9200 L235 L245 L275 L285 +
US $49.87
http://www.ebay.com/itm/66419-13400-New-Kubota-Tractor-Clutch-Disc-B2150-HSD-B9200-L235-L245-L275-L285-/231110944496

They prolly have throw-out bearings too; if you replace the clutch, always replace the TO bearing as well.