B8200 steering box problems.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Hi all.
Whilst dealing with a severe case of rodent damage to my B8200's wiring loom I had to remove the dash panel, which wasn't going to be just a case of removing the steering wheel .
First off the steering wheel was seized solid to the shaft and no amount of Penetrating Fluid, pulling with a puller, leverage etc it wasn't coming off without a fight.

In a last-ditch attempt, I resorted to just brute force and leaverage, it did come off in a sort of way but with the upper shaft still attached, not ideal at all but at least I was able to get the dash panel assembly off and access to the loom and switches etc.
Ok, so putting the loom issues to one side and a rewiring session i now have to address the problem of the steering box being in less than usable condition.

It would appear that the upper shaft has become detached from the lower gear assembly, the two parts being attached by a couple of pins and o-rings with a spring.

Other than the broken pins and o-rings everything else is fine.

My first problem is that these parts are no longer available and most certainly not in the UK , you chaps in the US etc are really lucky as they are still stocked at suppliers, but due to some regulation, they cant be shipped to the UK.

So i need to do a modified fix .
I've attached some pics to help.
First off, the spring, i assume it goes between the two shafts and is held in place once the shafts are fixed with pins.

That leads onto the pins, They are not available over here, but is there any reason why a single split dowel pin cant be used as an alternative fix, I would need to drill out the outer section so the pins can be pressed through both.

Or is there a reason for the different diameter holes and the multiple pins used to secure both sections together?

Why the small rubber rings as well on the inner section, they fit in a recess on both sides?

Any help or feedback in my quest to fix the would be most gratefully received
IMG_5783.JPG
IMG_5782.JPG
IMG_5780.JPG
IMG_5778.JPG

thanks
Rob

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Sent you a private message
Don’t understand what that assembly does exactly but it looks overly complex to make a swivel joint but what do I know about it?

Reactions: 1 user

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Sent you a private message
Don’t understand what that assembly does exactly but it looks overly complex to make a swivel joint but what do I know about it?
Many thanks for the reply and the PM.
To be honest, i'm struggling to see why it is such a complicated joint , it doesn't swivel, or if it does its only a fraction and why it uses the double pin arrangement , i expect there is a very straightforward answer but its illuding me at the moment.
Many thanks for the PM , will reply back shortly.(y)

rob

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I never heard back from you on the private message so assuming that you are getting through this on your own.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
There are probably some alignment issues that are countered by the two pins and spring. Most likely US Kubota dealers are prohibited from shipping parts outside of the US by Kubota. You could have the parts shipped to someone in the US and then have them ship the parts to you in the UK. I wouldn't be inclined to reengineer what was the original design. Steering boxes are precision devices that require some level of technology to get them back together correctly.