B8200 Leaky Power Steering Cylinder

lylewood

Equipment
B8200 with loader
May 19, 2012
Muskegon, MI USA
I have a B8200 4wd with FEL. It has the power steering assist cylinder. The cylinder has been leaking for some time. I took it to a hydraulic repair shop and they said it needed to be rebuilt. So $200 later, it still leaked. Took it back 3 or 4 times, but still leaks. Seems to be leaking from the rectangular box area, but not sure exactly. Any advice for getting this fixed, or does anyone have a good used one to sell? Thanks for any help and advice.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Lyle - wish I could help, but can't.

First, I would try to find exactly where it leaks, if possible. Rule out lines, fittings, etc. Wipe everything down, work it again. Does steering still work well, even with the leaks? How much is it leaking?

I tend to overtighten fittings a little, and make them leak a drip-drip. If tight is good, shouldn't REALLY tight be better??

I guess my wife calls me large and not-so-smart for a reason....(note - I edited her verbiage ALOT for political correctness):(:(:p:p

Seriously - There are some guys here with your tractor, and others that are more experienced with cylinders, etc.

Best of luck - wish I could be of more help!;)

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Lyle, how about posting a couple of pictures showing the cyl. and leaks. I've had two different cylinder setups on my B8200.

lylewood

Equipment
B8200 with loader
May 19, 2012
Muskegon, MI USA
I attached a photo of the power steering cylinder, hoping it shows up ok. Where it appears to leak (but not for sure) is on the back side near the front of the cylinder, running down and dripping from the two hose fittings. Of course, that area isn't visible in the photo. But maybe if someone is familiar with these cylinders and any typical leakage issues, I might know where to start. However, the fact that a hydraulic shop was unsuccessful in stopping the leaking isn't very encouraging.

Also possibly worth noting, it continues to leak even when not running. Overnight leakage will amount to several ounces collected in the basin I place underneath.
- Lyle

Attachments

Last edited:

lylewood

Equipment
B8200 with loader
May 19, 2012
Muskegon, MI USA
Hey D2Cat, I noticed you are in MO. I live in Michigan now, but growing up, I lived in El Dorado Springs, Nevada MO, Grain Valley, Oak Grove, Independence, and Odessa.
-- Lyle

mrmr56

Equipment
G4200, Z482, 3 G5200's
Jul 22, 2015
Waco, TX
I think the first thing I would do is to get me a mirror and a flashlight so I could see exactly what was going on or unhook everything but the hoses where I could lay it aside and see where the leak was. It is a bit hard to guess at what is taking place on the back side of something.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
" the fact that a hydraulic shop was unsuccessful in stopping the leaking isn't very encouraging."

If you've taken this to them more then once and it's still leaking I would consider them less then professional. Can they tell you why it's beyond them to repair?

I'd ask them, "What do I need to do to get this think to not leak? What would you do if you were me? Who would you recommend me to take it to?"

Maybe they can give you a answer that will help. Maybe you will help them to realize how incompetent they are.

It's probably as simple as a an "O" ring. Try to determine in your own mind the exact location the leak is occurring.

If no one in your area can fix this, I would take it apart myself. Take pictures as you dis-assemble in stages.

Oh, and find another hydraulic shop to buy the "O" rings from.

lylewood

Equipment
B8200 with loader
May 19, 2012
Muskegon, MI USA
That's all true, and those are the kinds of questions I repeatedly posed to them nearly two years ago, all to no avail. However, as I stated earlier, my main question is, Does anyone here on this forum have experience with this particular power steering cylinder unit and/or awareness of specific leakage issues with it?

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
When you took the cylinder to the shop did you remove it from the tractor? If you did obviously you disconnected the hose fittings. You state in you post it appears to be dripping from the 2 hose fittings. Could it be that cylinder is ok and the connections to the hoses are at fault? I am not sure but it looks like the fittings are the style that seal with an o-ring.

lylewood

Equipment
B8200 with loader
May 19, 2012
Muskegon, MI USA
The hose fittings do not appear to be leaking at all. A little further investigation has revealed that the leakage is from the plunger or actuator on top of the cylinder (pardon my not knowing proper terms for the parts, as I have no access to any documentation on this cylinder assembly). When the steering wheel is turned one way or the other, that plunger will go in or out, which apparently works some internal valves, which then directs oil flow to one side or the other of the cylinder to move the piston. (That's my best guess of the situation.) Even with the engine off, when working the wheel back and forth with even very little force, oil will leak out of the area where that plunger is, and it will continue to leak afterwards, leaving a sizeable puddle on the floor next morning. I guess the next step will be to remove the cylinder again and either do some cautious disassembly myself or take it to ANOTHER hydraulic shop where someone competent will know what needs to be done. Hopefully it just needs an o ring or packing, but why the $200 cylinder rebuild job didn't take care of that is beyond me.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
This is a shot on the dark, but that is like a control valve,if bore is worn out, and if shaft is worn also, there isnt a hope it will hold oil in. As in any movement up and down or side to side. May be time to visit a machine shop.