B8200 Auction gamble

joec

Equipment
B8200
Aug 22, 2015
daleville ,al
Bought B8200HST at auction would not start what I have done so far is compression test was at 50# or so all 3 cylinders . I removed head, oil pan, and pistons found center piston had broke top ring which had worn ring groove. Replaced the one piston and installed new rings all cylinders (where I messed up is didn't verify ring end gap my bad). Reassembled and still 50# all 3 cylinders, decided to bite the bullet and have re sleeved when was tearing down found that cam and inj. gear timing marks do not mess appear 1 to 2 teeth off with crankshaft dot straight up(can never get all marks messed no matter what), this is every 3 revolutions that is as close to matching as they get. Would this cause me to loose that much compression as in valves open too soon? The other question is when I pulled the crankshaft V belt drive pulley I didn't know there wasn't a master spline or key but pulley is balanced how does it install and in relation to what? I believe the flywheel is drilled in a pattern that only matches up one way. Could really use some advise Bought a manual on Ebay for the tractor it includes everything but the engine wouldn't you know it?:confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sent you a link to the engine manual, we'll go at it after you download and go over it. ;)

Last edited:

joec

Equipment
B8200
Aug 22, 2015
daleville ,al
I read it. Found a dot on engine to tranny adapter plate installed flywheel back on to crank (found three sets of marks on flywheel 1,2,3 TC / 1,2,3 FI) set at 1TC with front gears as close to matching up timing marks as possible, still unable to locate a mark on the crankshaft gear, idler gear is to right of straight down as looking from front of engine, camshaft and injection pump gear off 2 teeth. Being as can't find crank gear mark I assume you would put idle gear mark straight down and align cam and inject marks. All would be good to go? Then can install starter and check compression to see if this was problem with low compression do to valves opening wrong time. Sounds rednck but need to fix as cheap as possible can't do a full blown tear down if at all avoidable. P.S Thanks Wolfman

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll bet the reason you don't see a mark on the crank gear is that it's flipped and it on the back side. ;)

joec

Equipment
B8200
Aug 22, 2015
daleville ,al
Looked with mirror other day but didn't see anything, will pull it and look again. At this point can't make it any worse I suppose. The crank v belt pulley is balanced but no master spline on crank so hopefully some kind of master for drive gear. All I see is what appears to be a spline on the gear, will find out when get it removed. Next will be how to time/orient the V belt drive pulley when get to that point.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You don't time a V-belt. :confused:
Little lost on what you mean?

If the marks are not lining up you will need to take the gears off move the shafts and put the gear back on, they can not be a tooth off, it will not run. ;)

Here is what they should look like:

Attachments

Last edited:

joec

Equipment
B8200
Aug 22, 2015
daleville ,al
Harmonic balancer is what I should have called the V belt drive pulley. I suppose install it with weighted portion at bottom No.1 TC