b7510 pto will not turn off

yodie

Equipment
2022 LX2610
Jun 29, 2020
Pequot Lakes MN
I am looking at purchasing a used B7510 that the PO says the PTO will not disengage. He is not sure why and says you will need to open it up to figure out why. I am wondering how big a job this is and how expensive it would be worse case scenario. I hope to go look at it in person soon and wondering what to look for and what would be deal breakers.

Last edited:

AllDodge

Equipment
M9540 RTV1100
Jan 19, 2019
South Central, ky
I looked into fixing a M7540 with cab and it was way to much I wanted to tackle. That said yours is much smaller and while would be some work, should be easier

Kind of thought Wolfman would come in and advise.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
First thing would be to follow the linkage from the handle down to the transmission case. Make sure none of the pins or roll pins have fallen out or broken.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
First thing would be to follow the linkage from the handle down to the transmission case. Make sure none of the pins or roll pins have fallen out or broken.
BAP brings up a great point. First thing is to troubleshoot the cause. It's tough to do in that you're just looking to buy the tractor....

Often this type of thing is just a linkage issue...with time, many tractor linkages can get wonky.

Not discounting AllDodge's advice at all. Sometimes the only way to fix it is to split it. You just need to figure out what's causing it first.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The tractor has a two speed pto. 540 and 960 rpm.

Not. having access to an Owners' manual it is not clear if there is one lever to engage the pto and a second lever to select the pto speed.
The two levers appear to move the same fork but this is a guess.

The parts illustration is not clear but it looks like there is one shift fork #60 to engage the pto and select one of the two speeds and possibly and OFf position.

Please look at the following illustrations.

forum B7510 pto 1.jpg

forum B7510 pto 2.jpg

What I would surmise from the above is that there is far more outside the transmission to come loose than there is inside.

I agree with the advice of BAP and RCW in terms of likely cause.

If you cannot find outside stuff wrong then I would avoid purchase unless you like serious work and unknown expense.

Dave

yodie

Equipment
2022 LX2610
Jun 29, 2020
Pequot Lakes MN
The PO did state that he brought it into a dealer and they said they looked at it and it is inside the tractor.... but then again.. you are correct maybe they didnt actually check everything.

From what I see on tractor there is a lever to select the PTO speed on control levers. you press in a clutch to engage then pull or push a lever based on the PTO speed you want.

could it be possible that the clutch fork is the issue.

When I go look at it tonight i would assume if I press in the clutch and the PTO stops it will be in the linkage but if the clutch does nothing for the pto then it is in the clutch fork or assembly inside? Is this a fair assumption.

FYI it is a hydro static tractor not a gear drive.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
When I go look at it tonight i would assume if I press in the clutch and the PTO stops it will be in the linkage but if the clutch does nothing for the pto then it is in the clutch fork or assembly inside? Is this a fair assumption.
You are really talking about two different systems

1. The clutch

2. the pto engage or disengage lever and pto speed select lever.

If the pto stops when the clutch is depressed then you have confirmed the clutch system if OK.

You have not confirmed if the pto gears are being slid along their shafts.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

yodie

Equipment
2022 LX2610
Jun 29, 2020
Pequot Lakes MN
Ok guys... thanks for all the help.... I have confirmed that the clutch does stop the PTO. however it is defiantly not the linkage as it all appears to be working properly. I did end up purchasing the tractor but got a few thousand knocked off the price.

I called the closest dealer and they seem to not even want to give me an estimate on fixing this. I work in the auto world and we have a "book cost" that we go by for almost everything, doesnt the tractor dealership have a system like this to at least guess? I am not look a to the penny cost just a ball park to split that tractor and go from there.

thoughts?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Ok guys... thanks for all the help.... I have confirmed that the clutch does stop the PTO. however it is defiantly not the linkage as it all appears to be working properly. I did end up purchasing the tractor but got a few thousand knocked off the price.

I called the closest dealer and they seem to not even want to give me an estimate on fixing this. I work in the auto world and we have a "book cost" that we go by for almost everything, doesnt the tractor dealership have a system like this to at least guess? I am not look a to the penny cost just a ball park to split that tractor and go from there.

thoughts?
If it were a tractor I just purchased an the only issue was the pto staying ON, I would be inclined to use it for sometime to better evaluate it.

You would have to be extra safety conscious.

If there is more wrong internally, you would not want to have the pto fixed only to discover a frost plug falls out the next day.

Others who work in the tractor industry may have comments on pricing.

Dave

yodie

Equipment
2022 LX2610
Jun 29, 2020
Pequot Lakes MN
If it were a tractor I just purchased an the only issue was the pto staying ON, I would be inclined to use it for sometime to better evaluate it.

You would have to be extra safety conscious.

If there is more wrong internally, you would not want to have the pto fixed only to discover a frost plug falls out the next day.

Others who work in the tractor industry may have comments on pricing.

Dave
Thanks... I do want to use the PTO and I do want it to work for safety issues. I cant have my mower running when I am pulling it in the shed. So I cant really use the PTO safety.

I do hear what you are saying about making sure other stuff seems ok.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
Just pull off the PTO shaft with the engine stopped to disable the mower. Then drive it in the shed.

yodie

Equipment
2022 LX2610
Jun 29, 2020
Pequot Lakes MN
a little update. I was able to take the plate off the top of the case that you can see in the pictures above. I am able to feel the lever (60 in the pic) moving when I move the PTO on/off lever but of course its not doing anything or appear to be connected to the fork. I can not see much else as there is not enough room, I drained the gear lube also with no additional luck to get a better view.

I did take it up to my property this weekend and hoped to run the finish mower with it as discussed above. Well it is stuck in 960 RPM so obviously I could not run anything I own at that RPM. I did get to put 3 hours on the machine using the bucket for various chores and it worked great.

I did get a copy of the FSM and looking at the procedure to spit it. Still not sure if it is something I want to attempt on my own. I have done a bunch of work on auto stuff, not much tractor stuff and I dont have any resources to help me if I get into trouble. I will take some time to dwell on it.

SLO

Equipment
Kubota 7510 HST
Sep 14, 2021
San Luis Obispo
Hey Yodie,
I am exactly on the same situation as yours, this happened to me after I purchased the tractor, PTO Lever is loose and PTO wont disengage. I am curious if you were able to fix the issue. Thank you.