B7500 Operating Temperature

Clevus

Equipment
Ko Buddha
Oct 23, 2021
NW Michigan
So this being my first Kubota I am operating within my learning curve. I bought this last year, used the mower deck frequently, pulled snow all winter. From day one I noticed the temperature gauge was not working. All winter I’m not really thinking much about as everything else works as it should. Now I see that the gauge is working but only comes up the the bottom of the “C”. Engine is running about 158°..

Before I start throwing parts at it, is it normal for a diesel like this to run that cold?
my first inclination is to change out the thermostat. At the same time I wonder if it might be the nature of the beast.

What say you, the oracles of the Orange Tractors?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I've got the L2501 - different series, probably different engine. When it warms up completely it's at the bottom end of the "Cold" range. I bought it new. I've not put an actual temperature gauge on it but I do know tractors tend to run cooler than gasoline engines. Sit back and await more comments.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
So this being my first Kubota I am operating within my learning curve. I bought this last year, used the mower deck frequently, pulled snow all winter. From day one I noticed the temperature gauge was not working.... Now I see that the gauge is working but only comes up the the bottom of the “C”. Engine is running about 158°..
How did you determine this temperature? Might help someone knowledgeable if you add this information.

My guess would be the thermostat. Could a previous owner have removed it? OR perhaps it is stuck fully open...

Both my tractors run mid range on the indicator, or higher if I fail to clean debris from the screen in front of the radiator.

Reactions: 1 user

Rusty46

Equipment
B7500 HSD-R, LA 302, RCK60-24B, Woods RB-72, Millcreek 25, Harrow, Payne PF800,
Both my tractors run mid range on the indicator, or higher if I fail to clean debris from the screen in front of the radiator.
My B7500 temperature gauge works. It starts below the "C" line and gradually moves up to 1/4-1/2" above "C". When mowing dry or dusty grass, it will climb to the "H" zone as the debris screen before the radiator becomes more and more plugged. When the screen is cleaned, the indicator drops back to about center of the scale, and begins slowly (or not so slowly) rising again.

Clevus

Equipment
Ko Buddha
Oct 23, 2021
NW Michigan
How did you determine this temperature? Might help someone knowledgeable if you add this information..
handheld infrared laser dot. It’s pretty accurate.
Checked upper hose and side of block where the temp sensor is located.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The temperature will stay low until the engine is under load so try mowing for a while and then see what the temperature is

I am assuming you are taking temp at idle or ambient was low during snow removal

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
handheld infrared laser dot. It’s pretty accurate.
Checked upper hose and side of block where the temp sensor is located.
Since the tractor meter and the infrared thermometer seem to agree...chance are the best first next step is to check the thermostat. Might not be in there, or if it is, it should be apparent that it is stuck open when you take it out...

You can also check it on the kitchen stove in a pan of water that you heat up while watching the thermostat. Not sure if they ever fail in the "open early" mode though.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Ideally - you want that diesel to get too about 200 F under a working load.

Yogi

Equipment
Sep 28, 2013
North west PA
How did you determine this temperature? Might help someone knowledgeable if you add this information.

My guess would be the thermostat. Could a previous owner have removed it? OR perhaps it is stuck fully open...

My b7500 will run all day with out getting hot but as soon I start mowing the temp goes over over 200 degrees and after about 45 minutes it is boiling . I have tried everything , flushed engine new thermostat , keep radiator and scree clean,
nothing seems to work

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My b7500 will run all day with out getting hot but as soon I start mowing the temp goes over over 200 degrees and after about 45 minutes it is boiling . I have tried everything , flushed engine new thermostat , keep radiator and scree clean,
nothing seems to work
Could the fan belt be slipping?

Old belt that looks good but reduced friction between the belt and the fan pulley so the fan just turns slower than it should?

Just a WAG...:)

Savoy John

Equipment
Kubota B2710, Kubota ZD28, Kubota RTV900, JCB 1550B, Salsco 824 PTO Chipper
Jan 9, 2021
Savoy, Massachusetts
Sounds like you have a 71c (159.8f) thermostat in it. I just recently found out my B-2710 has a 82c (179.6f) thermostat in it. I ordered a new thermostat thinking the original was stuck open. Took it out and tested it, worked fine. The new thermostat was stamped 71c. I wonder why they don't let the consumer know the temp before buying and why do they send the lower temp?