B7500 Fuel Tank Removal

Rich III

Aug 25, 2013
Coplay, pa
Ok so I dropped something in the fuel tank on the old orange tractor and i want to get it out. Wanted to know if anyone has advice on how to remove the feul tank.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Were you checking the fuel level with a lighter again? :p

WOW :eek: just read the removal instructions... Bet after doing all that you won't drop anything down there again!;)

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
On night I was fueling up my B7500 and there was very little light. The fuel cap had a rubber cover over the plastic cap. When the cap was removed for fuelling, the rubber part remained behind. When I poked the fuel nozzle into the tank, it got pushed into the tank. After several attempts with hooked wires and a grabber tool I gave up. After that episode I had the tractor for another 9 years and put just over 1000 hours on it. Never affected anything.

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
I dropped a plastic fuel can vent cap down in my B7500 tank about two months ago. Initially I tried to fish it out with a wire with hook bent on the end and no luck. It has ran fine with several tanks of fuel through it until yesterday. It started sputtering, no power, very low idle and die sometimes. I did just barely get it back to the garage so I could look at it. In my mind I thought for sure it was the cap blocking flow but I pulled the fuel line going into the injector pump and it flowed well. Then I thought that maybe the plastic cap in the tank got jostled out of the way but will come back to block again. I figured that pulling the tank and getting that thing out would be good. After pulling the side covers, hood and the screw holding the plastic cowl/dash to the steel cowl covering the tank I realized this is a big project. It looks like I need to pull the plastic dash before I get started on the PDF instructions someone posted in this thread. In order to do that it looks like I need to pull the steering wheel, throttle lever and maybe the fuel cut pull knob first. Has anyone done this? This tank is a terrible design for trying to fish something out of it because it angles under the cowling from the filler neck. Has anyone had luck in fishing one of these out? It does have a molded in loop to grab. (that was supposed to keep it on the can but was made too loose) I'm going to check to make sure there is fuel in there just in case I messed up the sending unit when fishing in there. Speaking of that I assume it is possible to mess it up fishing with wire?

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
I removed (ish) the tank except the fuel sending wires. It was enough to turn it upside down and drop the vent cap. What a project. It was pretty dirty under there after 21 years so I vacuumed the heavy stuff, taped up the fuel inlets, blew most of it off with an air gun and wiped it down with a damp microfiber towel. Tomorrow I'll reassemble and hope that was the issue and I didn't create any new ones.

IMG_20220724_200802348_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220724_200832406.jpg

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
I have it all assembled and it ran great under power for 45 minutes so far. Crossing fingers that cap blocking fuel flow was the issue.

Reactions: 1 user

tvman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7500,L4330
Jan 2, 2022
Indiana
I have it all assembled and it ran great under power for 45 minutes so far. Crossing fingers that cap blocking fuel flow was the issue.
Bought a new fuel gauge several years ago, this reminds me why it's still in the box!

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
Bought a new fuel gauge several years ago, this reminds me why it's still in the box!

It was not terrible but was a lot more than I expected. If I went in thinking it was a lot of work then I might have thought nothing of it. The only thing on the "dash" I had to remove was the throttle lever and had to drive the roll pin out.

Stonefingers

Equipment
B7500
Sep 20, 2022
Pennsburg PA
I'm actually doing the same thing as I type this. I lost the gasket on my tractor down the filler hole on my first fill up 20 years ago and never had a issue. I tried without luck to fish it out a few times but gave up. Now I think it found it's way to my sender or the send is dead, either way I decided to pull the sender and damn I under estimated how much I have to pull apart to get to it. I read your post and it looks like pulling the dash is the only way to get access to the sender.
I see you didn't pull the dash, but I don't seem to see how the tank cover comes off. I'm hung up on something that still is attaching the tank to the cover. Thanks for posting.

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
I'm actually doing the same thing as I type this. I lost the gasket on my tractor down the filler hole on my first fill up 20 years ago and never had a issue. I tried without luck to fish it out a few times but gave up. Now I think it found it's way to my sender or the send is dead, either way I decided to pull the sender and damn I under estimated how much I have to pull apart to get to it. I read your post and it looks like pulling the dash is the only way to get access to the sender.
I see you didn't pull the dash, but I don't seem to see how the tank cover comes off. I'm hung up on something that still is attaching the tank to the cover. Thanks for posting.

IIRC you have to pull the dash back a little bit to get access to the bolts holding the tank to the orange steel cowl.