b7500 fuel filter question

JanetB

Equipment
Kubota b7500 tractor
Aug 20, 2022
Johnson City TN
I tried to change the fuel filter on my B7500 tractor. There is no cut-off valve between the gas tank and the fuel filter as far as I can tell. I think that when you start to unscrew the fuel filter housing there is supposed to be some sort of integral valve that shuts off the gas flow so you can remove the filter. When I started to unscrew the housing a lot of fuel came out, like 2 cups worth, with no sign of stopping. I screwed it back on because I was afraid it would empty the whole gas tank. Could it be possible that the shut-off valve is not working?

Rusty46

Equipment
B7500 HSD-R, LA 302, RCK60-24B, Woods RB-72, Millcreek 25, Harrow, Payne PF800,
Could it be possible that the shut-off valve is not working?

JanetB - On my B7500, fuel leaks while you are unscrewing the clear plastic filter bowl. The flow stops when the bowl is completely unscrewed and removed. So, you want to unscrew the bowl quickly. Also, the manual notes to inspect and/or change the fuel filter only when the fuel tank is less than 1/2 full. I place an oil drain pan or other container below the bowl to catch the leaking fuel. Paper towels in the container reduce splashing.

Reactions: 1 users

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
Most folks use vice grips or fuel line/hose clamps to stop fuel flow from the tank when changing filters.
I have a set of needle nose visegrips that I forced on a rubber tube on each jaw, my go to hose clamps BUT i think Rusty is correct in his statement

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Just because I like to be informed...it appears that some tractors of the orange flavor actually came with electric control fuel valves. I didn't trace out circuits, but at first glance it would seem to be key on to open.

David L. Smith

Equipment
B7510 hsd, 5’ mower,4’ tiller,4’ brush hog. Middle plow and boom pole
Jun 10, 2021
Washingtonville,Ohio
I tried to change the fuel filter on my B7500 tractor. There is no cut-off valve between the gas tank and the fuel filter as far as I can tell. I think that when you start to unscrew the fuel filter housing there is supposed to be some sort of integral valve that shuts off the gas flow so you can remove the filter. When I started to unscrew the housing a lot of fuel came out, like 2 cups worth, with no sign of stopping. I screwed it back on because I was afraid it would empty the whole gas tank. Could it be possible that the shut-off valve is not working?
It I’ll go better if you either drain fuel to below half full or wait till you run it down to half full. Cheers! P.S. I got a hand transfer pump just to have one around. All the best

JanetB

Equipment
Kubota b7500 tractor
Aug 20, 2022
Johnson City TN
I appreciate everyone's help and comments. After much struggle I finally got the fuel filter changed. As it turned out, the fuel filter shut-off valve was not working so I tracked down a hose clamp. Once I got the bowl off, I had a hard time getting the fuel filter itself out of the bowl. I eventually got it off by using a very small screwdriver to dig into the white plastic rim of the filter itself enough to lift it up a millimeter at a time till it came out. Why does everything have to be a struggle? At any rate I got it done. However, the basic problem is that the engine is losing power repeatedly and that didn't solve the problem. Since there are several things that could cause that I think I will let the dealership do it. Thanks again for all your help.

JanetB

Equipment
Kubota b7500 tractor
Aug 20, 2022
Johnson City TN
I appreciate everyone's help and comments. After much struggle I finally got the fuel filter changed. As it turned out, the fuel filter shut-off valve was not working so I tracked down a hose clamp. Once I got the bowl off, I had a hard time getting the fuel filter itself out of the bowl. I eventually got it off by using a very small screwdriver to dig into the white plastic rim of the filter itself enough to lift it up a millimeter at a time till it came out. Why does everything have to be a struggle? At any rate I got it done. However, the basic problem is that the engine is losing power repeatedly and that didn't solve the problem. Since there are several things that could cause that I think I will let the dealership do it. Thanks again for all your help.
Well I took the tractor in to the dealership and after 2 wks and $$$ it is fixed. The reason it was losing power is that there was trash in the gas tank. They had to take the gas tank off to clean it out. Now it is working fine. Thank you to everyone for your help.