B7200 tach / hour meter

Thatoneguy

Equipment
Kubota b7200
May 20, 2022
Southern California
Hello everyone,

I was using the b7200 this weekend for a few hours moving dirt and am slightly annoyed my tach doesnt work. Its not that i need it, i dont ever run it at full bore anyways. Usually around 3/4 throttle but noticed the tach needle is below zero at idle. If i tee the throttle up the needle moves slightly closer to zero mark.

My understanding of this combo is that its cable driven which i assume works because it does move slightly and the hour meter still meters time accurately. Is there any type of adjustment on these things. Im a fan of original equipment or factory replacement as long as its similar in terms of functionality. I have no intentions of adding an electric hour meter or tach. I just want the old one to work. Haha.

I added some pictures. One is at idle. The other is at half throttle ish..

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
cable's busted...replace cable 'core'
probably can still buy a universal kit. cut new core to length, swage the end on, install in sheath,reconnect,done. takes less time than me typing this.....

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
one version...

same thing from Amazon Canada is >$31 !!!
I think, hrs is a 'fudge' based on the RPM. All mechanical, old skool, 30s engineering. 'They' were far more cleaver back them. Today you use a $1 computer and 15 lines of 'code' (that's easy for me.....)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Sounds easy peasy, thank you. Ill pull the cable and see what i need to get ordered up. Out of curiousity, What controls the hour count then?
Complete new cable is $28. If the meter has gone south (real possibility) its $160. Hours are an approximation derived from rev counter

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Sound like the meter is shot especially if the hour counter is still working. Condensation that sometimes collects inside might have caused corrosion that effected the rev needle.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Sounds easy peasy, thank you. Ill pull the cable and see what i need to get ordered up. Out of curiousity, What controls the hour count then?
I don't think your problem is the cable since the hour meter works.

Thatoneguy

Equipment
Kubota b7200
May 20, 2022
Southern California
Thank you all for the help. Ill pull it apart. I was hoping for an 'adjustment' type solution. Looks like its gonna be a quirk with this thing as long as the hour meter works, ill deal with the tach the good ol fashion way. Listen to the engine. Haha

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
Hello everyone,

I was using the b7200 this weekend for a few hours moving dirt and am slightly annoyed my tach doesnt work. Its not that i need it, i dont ever run it at full bore anyways. Usually around 3/4 throttle but noticed the tach needle is below zero at idle. If i tee the throttle up the needle moves slightly closer to zero mark.

My understanding of this combo is that its cable driven which i assume works because it does move slightly and the hour meter still meters time accurately. Is there any type of adjustment on these things. Im a fan of original equipment or factory replacement as long as its similar in terms of functionality. I have no intentions of adding an electric hour meter or tach. I just want the old one to work. Haha.

I added some pictures. One is at idle. The other is at half throttle ish..
We have B8200 and my was a cable...Which I replaced for no tach looks like the same panel. I have a 2 speed PTO which by ear I wouldn't trust.
On ours one dealer told me it was electronic? If one looks at the engine ours goes to front...With no electronics! Go luck, yours may be binding? Or the meter movement could be bad. I would check the cable first...

Attachments

Last edited:

Thatoneguy

Equipment
Kubota b7200
May 20, 2022
Southern California
Thank you for the info. Ill look into it sunday and see whats going on with it. I have a feeling its the gauge since its still metering hours fine.

I dont use the pto for anything anyways. If i ever do... ill cross that bridge when i get to it i guess. I mainly just use a box scraper.

Thatoneguy

Equipment
Kubota b7200
May 20, 2022
Southern California
Well... the guage started howeling pretty bad and i couldnt stand the noise so i disconnected the cable for now while in search of a replacement. Are these guages a 1:1 ratio. Also, are the cables a universal type fut with the slotted end. i would imagine they are but im not confident it is. I found a replacement that seems like it would work, its a little pricey but it should work.

Heres the guage i found...