b7200 steering adjustment

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
my steering has a lot of play in it. even after I've fully adjusted the adjustment bolt outside the steering box. I'm thinking I've got to open the gear box and see if it will take shims or if it needs to be replaced. What do you all think?
thanks
adf

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They don't take shims to adjust, it sounds like you have parts that are broken or worn.
Pull it apart and see what you have going on inside.

Mike in Littlestown

Equipment
B7100
Jan 24, 2021
Littlestown, PA
What do you mean by a" a lot of play"? Put a piece of tape on the rim of the steering wheel and measure how much play you have. The B7100 I am working on had over 6 1/2"--That is a lot of play, especially combined with a loose and worn pivot pin in the front axle. I have adjusted the lash screw on the side of the box and the play is down to 3 1/2". I think we will have to live with that. It is a little more than I'd like, but the tractor still follows a line without too much wandering. I tried tightening the adjustment screw even more, but all that did was make the steering stiffer. I backed it off to where the p-lay was a small as i could get it, but no more. I believe the problem is due to worn ( and NLA) parts. Perhaps a complete new steering column would solve the problem completely.

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
Well i took it apart😳😳
There were no bearings left at all just a couple of Rusted metal circles. The oil was rust brown color. I’m thinking that the tractor sat outside a lot and somehow over time water got past the seals. The steering shaft, the gears look good. Teeth have nice sharp edges the tops are Still square. Ebay has steering shaft repair kits that include new bearings and seals and gaskets AND shims. I guess using shims is trial and error until it aligns best.
still can’t figure out how to drain sterring box oil. And, what type oil goes back in.
thanks for the help

Berry

Equipment
B7200HST B2551 Blower Scraper Flail Mower Chipper Log Splitter
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario
I too will be interested how you make out with your steering. My 7200 also had a little of play that I have not been able to completely remove.
However what I did find was a missing rubber bushing under the steering wheel that also contributed to the sloppy steering. Ordered a new one from Kubota and replaced. Must say I was surprised it was still available.

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
Messicks sells all the steering components individually with a parts picture.
I did find the drain plug. The manual for the b 7200 Did not show any steering component but the b7100 did. The drain plugs were in different locations. I had been taken the bolt out that i thought should be the drain but nothing ever drained. Turns out the bottom of the steering box was so full of gunk that the drain was plugged. I had so siphion out the oil, water gunk mix then flush it with gas then siphon it out and then get a rag inside and wipe it clean. Then use a magnet to get the balls from the bearing out.
amazing the only thing that got rusted was the metal cage that held the ball bearing together. I think the seal might not be sealing so it and the bearing is all i think is needed.
The oil for the steering box is 80-90 gear oil I found out.

Reactions: 1 user

Berry

Equipment
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario
Messicks sells all the steering components individually with a parts picture.
I did find the drain plug. The manual for the b 7200 Did not show any steering component but the b7100 did. The drain plugs were in different locations. I had been taken the bolt out that i thought should be the drain but nothing ever drained. Turns out the bottom of the steering box was so full of gunk that the drain was plugged. I had so siphion out the oil, water gunk mix then flush it with gas then siphon it out and then get a rag inside and wipe it clean. Then use a magnet to get the balls from the bearing out.
amazing the only thing that got rusted was the metal cage that held the ball bearing together. I think the seal might not be sealing so it and the bearing is all i think is needed.
The oil for the steering box is 80-90 gear oil I found out.
I have the parts manual for the B7200HST. Page 47 reference 01T022 shows all the steering components. I see it list qty 4 shims and qty 5 adjusting collars.

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
I have the parts manual for the B7200HST. Page 47 reference 01T022 shows all the steering components. I see it list qty 4 shims and qty 5 adjusting collars.
I went to check kubotabooks online manual again but that website is temporarily down but thanks Berry

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
Messicks had the parts and their shipped them to me.
I’d be interested in seeing what the “adjusting collars” look like and how yhey would adjust the steering play. Shims raise up the steering shaft so the gears fit closer i think

Berry

Equipment
Jun 7, 2020
Bancroft Ontario
If you send me your email, I will send you the complete parts list. I can't seem to be able to attach to this forum. I have the WSM to if you require it.

jimsig

Equipment
b7200hst / l185
Apr 17, 2021
Florissant, Missouri
just finished putting the steering box back together on my b7200hst today - had to replace a broken sector shaft - turns out the old one had been welded back together previously by prior owner - looks like they had done a pretty good job welding it - but it eventually failed. Luckily I found a used one for $100 - found out yo can still get one from kubota but for nearly $600. Here's a link to the diagram for the steering box:

https://store.germanbliss.com/kubota-b7200hstd-parts-steering-t02200-steering-parts

The adjuster screw on the side of the steering box moves the sector shaft slightly to the left or right - which tightens or loosens the way it meshes with the teeth on the steering shaft. It should take out any excess play that is coming from there - but if you get it too tight it will make the steering very difficult.

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
Please document what you do.
I will be following for sure.
Well I finally finished repairing the steering assembly after three tries. I thought I’d get away with just replacing tge upper and lower bearings but turned out the shaft was damaged as well and ruined the replaced bearings.
the DIY videos were very helpful. Only thing i can add is the method i used to remove the bearing race. I used an auto repair dent puller. Changed the screw end for a bolt that i ground down to a thin head enough to get behind the race. A couple of pulls andit popped out

Attachments