B7100D transmission problem

motorhead540

Equipment
B7100, loader and finish mower
May 25, 2010
Eagle creek ,Oregon
Need a little bit of info or help here my b7100 broke today I was mowing with my 60 inch woods finish mower running along in second gear high range and the thing bogged down and died .It was hard to get out of gear put all into natural and restarted engaged pto and let it spin up then put trans back into 2 high range and was nothing tried first and was able to finish my mowing when I got done mowing I checked all the gears I find I have first gear low and high but no 2nd ,3rd or reverse also only have pto #1 though I only ever use #1 pto but #2 and #3 pto are inop as well .. need to figure out what to do to get it fixed as it is my primary mowing machine for my 5 acres and the push mower won't cut it so I need some info or guidance as to what to check or where to start . I work on trucks but am not a gear man .I have never had a tractor trans apart only a few car 3 and 4 speeds about 15-20 years ago . any suggestions would sure be appreciated thanks merril "motorhead540"

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm wondering if you've actually spun the clutch?
On dry, hard, flat ground see if it will try and move in second and up.
Post back and we'll go from there.

motorhead540

Equipment
May 25, 2010
Eagle creek ,Oregon
I tried that yesterday . does not move at all in 2,3 or reverse gear and also has lost pto 2 and 3 still moves in 1ST gear and pto #1 works was able to finish mowing got it in the shop still will not move in any gear but 1st but works in 1st high and 1st low . if i get home early enough i might start trying to figure out where to start on it need some pointers got the seat and the rear fenders off last evening before shutting down for the night . started my work week today at 5:30 am 4 -10's oh fun ...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Go to Kubotabooks.com and download all the service manuals for your tractor they will help tremendously!

I personally would start by pulling the top cover off of the trans and check shift forks before anything, but considering it failed under a load it could be a broken gear.

Last edited:

motorhead540

Equipment
May 25, 2010
Eagle creek ,Oregon
I got the shift cover off and the oil drained think I have a broken countershaft hard to tell from the Kubota books manuals for sure but it appears to be broken just ahead of the gear also has teeth missing on pto #2 gear . now I need to figure out what kind or $ it will take to repair it before going any further may just sell it as parts if cost is to high. the tractor may not be worth fixing if parts are very much. have not yet split the tractor at this point .

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't think the parts are going to be to terribly expensive, you might be able to get a complete unit from West Kentucky Tractor Parts, http://wkytpstore.com/, for cheap enough.

motorhead540

Equipment
May 25, 2010
Eagle creek ,Oregon
i will try and give them a call tomorrow and see what a used trans might be... might be the best way to go ??? otherwise I will need to get started taking it apart or see what I could get out of it broken my wife doesn't think we should spend much fixing it though , but she doesn't do the mowing either !

motorhead540

Equipment
May 25, 2010
Eagle creek ,Oregon
Ok so I guess I need to figure out what parts I need for sure so I need to split the tractor do I just unbolt the clutch/driveline tunnel from the front of the trans and slip the shafts off as it comes apart I have all the brake and inter lock rods off . I got the pin out of the input shaft and see a roll pin in the front driveline looks like those items and 7 nuts and it should be able to be slid apart while leaving the clutch housing intact on the engine . am I correct this is my first tractor split so I can fix the trans clutch seems to be working good so don't want to open it at this time

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you got it right. ;)
Just take it slow and easy and don't force anything to get it apart and you'll be fine. :D

motorhead540

Equipment
May 25, 2010
Eagle creek ,Oregon
Finally got a chance to finish getting the tractor split apart and have got the trans separated from the rear axle assembly . now I need to figure out how to get the trans itself apart without causing any further damage and in a way that I will be able to get it back together any better pictures then the break downs in the online manual or order of disassembly suggestions I can see that shaft #2 is broken and the pto gear for #2 speed has missing teeth also can see at least one bearing that the cage has come apart I just plan on doing a decent patch type repair so it will run again . been having to mow with a stx 38 john deere 36 in deck sure take a long time to do 5 acres