B7100 Tie Down ?

ajhaig

Jun 12, 2011
Charlotte, VT
I just bought my first Kubota, a well maintained one owner B7100 with 442 confirmed hours. I'll be picking it up sometime this week.

I'm transporting it in my enclosed Wells Cargo Trailer.

Any tips for securing the tractor in the trailer for the journey back to Vermont?

Many thanks.

P.S. I'll post a photo when I get it home.

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
There are as many ways to tie something down as there are opinions about what color tractor to buy, I imagine.

Here is my view: 4 tie down points is preferred. Ideally, each corner should be tied, going to the bed of the trailer and slightly outboard. If O is the tractor:

\ /
O
/ \

I don't like "X" pattern chains, where the left side of the tractor is fastened to the right side of the trailer. It allows the load to flip sideways without any mechanical failure. The way I showed does not. That is, in my arrangement, in order for the load to flip, something has to break.

I usually use a combination of ratchet straps and chain. I like this combination because it's easiest to work for me. I put chains on the back, then use straps up front to tension everything. For heavier stuff I have chain binders, both over-center and the screw-type ratchet design.

The majority of what I transport is under 3000lbs, but I use 3/8" transport chain and 10,000lb rated ratchet straps. Nothing has ever come off, or anything like even loose. However, I always have one more safety chain, at the front and rear, just put on hand-tight, then tensioned with a motorcycle tie down strap sideways.

I wrap a bungee cord or ziptie around the chain hooks to make sure they don't come off, even if their tensioning is reduced.

Make sure the tie down spots in your trailer are STRONG. The B7100 is only something like 1100lbs bare, but if you have a loader or any other implements, it's easy to come close to doubling up that weight, especially if ballasted.

You'd likely be fine with 4 of the heavier duty 1.5 inch ratchet tie downs as illustrated above, since it's relatively light, but it's hard sometimes to find a straight shot to attach solidly to the tractor and not run the strap over a corner or put a sideways load on the tiedown hook. If you have a loader the same is sometimes true up front; I've used chains front and rear there, or a piece of chain from the tractor to the ratchet strap.

Congratulations on your purchase, good luck, and welcome to orangetractortalks! I'm excited to see pictures.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
How far do you have to transport it? And, what kind of tiedowns are in the enclosed trailer? That info will help a lot in giving you sound advice.
I agree, the 7100 is not a real heavy load, but in the event of an accident, that weight is going to be multiplied many times- fabric ratchet tiedowns are marginal. If you are going a short distance, then tie it down and go. If you are traveling far, you increase your chances of an accident or emergency stop- bind it with chains.
Mark

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
I agree with Hodge, you don't want to use tiedowns that are too light. I have a couple sets of ratchets like these that I use on implements, ATVs, and the like. They would be fine for the light side of the B7100. If you have a loader and implement, I think they're too light to be truly safe.

I think it's a good idea to properly secure your load whether you're going a long distance or a short one.

I overkill things, because I refuse to lose a load because it was improperly secured, or, worse, hurt someone else for the same reasons. If properly used, cables, chains, or nylon straps are all acceptable and safe. If used improperly, none of them are.

If your tiedown points are just screwed into the OSB decking, it won't matter what you use, those points are too weak. I do it this way: Would I trust my tie-down job if the tractor and everything were dangling above me from the trailer? That is only 1G.

A minor fender-bender can easily exceed 4 times that. If I wouldn't trust it to be over my head, then I haven't done a good job. That takes care of any loose implements, unsecured suitcase weights, or any other hazard.

In looking at my previous post, I cant make the O line up with the slashes, sorry, but you get the idea that it should be in the middle. :)