B7100 Stuck in the Mud

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Well the 7100 has impressed me brush hog'n, it will cut through anything less than an 1" in diameter. Some of the larger stuff I was able to push and uproot with the blade, this thing is like a little tank! Note to self....stay out of the swampy areas :D:p Even the dog was laughing at me. :rolleyes:

Had to have my pops yank me out with the 2910, which was hardy any effort.

It's nice having a big tractor around to get you out of a stick situation. Having a hog on the old tractor is nice so that the bigger tractor doesn't get scratched :D

It's heading up the mountain tomorrow to do some land clearing, I'll post some before and after pictures later this week.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
aaaaahh yes! Been there!

R1 tires, mud over the floor boards and half way up the tranny.:D Broke through the soft ground all at once:eek: - no ruts no warning.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
We don't get much mud out here, but I'm always amazed how something that looks so dry & solid on the surface can be so mushy & slippery underneath.
Wonder if you could have gotten out with R1s? (ags)

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
We don't get much mud out here, but I'm always amazed how something that looks so dry & solid on the surface can be so mushy & slippery underneath.
I don't think AGs would have helped any, especially with the blade and subframe on it, not much ground clearance...they may have, but I'm guessing they would just dig it deeper in the mud, nothing solid down there to bite into. It was all my fault that I got stuck, I should have known better than to back down into there. There is an old spring fed well that has an overflow pipe. The pipe drains into that area where I was stuck. The surface was hard but underneath the sod it was slop.

It's actually really dry here, haven't had any rain in almost a month, but the well is still overflowing.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
At the ripe ol' age of 14, I got my father's 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU stuck in something soft like that.

Took a shortcut...

The thing just sunk to the axles, and the R1's were just caked with snotty clay.

An IH 1286 had to work hard to yank it out.

My Dad had some "colorful" names for me that day!!!:eek::eek::eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Son if ya aint getting stuck in the mud once in a while you aint hasin no fun:D

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Skeets, it is fun as long as you have a way to get it out!

RCW, been there too many times, but lucky for me it was always my own stuff. When I use his tractor I treat it better than he does.

That 2910 has always impressed me how much power it really has in a small package. Had an 06 grand Cherokee buried on that property once. There is a road leading down the the lower end of the property where my tractor was stuck. I was driving up it in the spring with the jeep and the road caved in and I slid into the drainage ditch pinned agains a bank. I didn't think the 2910 would budge it pulling it in the mud up hill with it hung up to hell on the frame, but it did it without any hesitation. I couldn't believe it with no backhoe on it and turf tires that it didn't even spin!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
RCW, been there too many times, but lucky for me it was always my own stuff. When I use his tractor I treat it better than he does.
That was almost 40 years ago, but he still reminds me. :eek:

About same time, I pulled a cement mixer truck, and my school bus out with that Moline. Wasn't my first rodeo.

Funny thing is my school bus turned around in my driveway. Late winter it slid off side and got stuck.

I got off the bus, and went and got the Moline. Pulled the bus out with the 10 or so kids on it.

Today - there would have been 10 State Police cars, 4 ambulances, and NTSB responding....:(:(:(.Are we really progressing......:(:(:(

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
RCW, you forgot. Three or Four News reporters and a couple of News Copters!

Progress? No, we're so safe we're stupid!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Dave, thanks for posting that. For anyone clicking on it and thinking it's too long to read, go to about page 61 and read the rules posted there.

Here's one that may save a lot of grief for guys trying to help their neighbor.

"Ask the driver of the Stuck Truck to attach the connectors"

It’s nice and neighborly to pull someone out, but it can be
costly to you and the business if you’re helping someone
who doesn’t work for you. Always have the person in the
stuck truck or equipment attach the connectors to his or
her own vehicle. That puts the liability on the driver of
the stuck equipment. And if, by chance, something goes
wrong during the recovery, it won’t be your fault because
you did not hook it up.

A few days ago someone posted about safety, tip overs, etc. and suggested the Gov't. needs to provide training.

Well, here you go, read this. Then follow the guidelines.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Yup, there is a liability to everything today, even between friends. Had a friend help another friend one time pull his car up a grassy hill to a shop with his truck. My buddy's truck slipped on the grass and slid backwards onto the guys hood. Even being a friendly gesture, my buddy was liable for the damage and had to pay up and claim it on his insurance. The crazy part is the friend with a car is a body guy as a hobby, so he pocketed most of the insurance money and fixed his car next to nothing :mad:. Most times it's just not worth it today helping someone out like that, it can get ya in some hot water. He had to claim it on his insurance so of course the rate gets cranked up while the guy with the car has a pocket full of cash. Needless to say they aren't friends anymore! Some people are just slime balls when it comes to money.

Had an 88 lifted Chevy stepside in awesome condition. A buddy got his jeep stuck so I helped him out pulling it out. The alternator died so he couldn't start it. Had to pull it dead uphill in the mud over a damm bolder and blew the engine in my truck. Never again!

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I would have to agree with ya'll on helping people out. If someone is stuck do to loss of traction i'll pull them out. I've done it several times with my work truck and a customer that can't get up a hill on a gravel road towing a piece of equipment. Now if they are buried or in a ditch. I'll make sure they are ok and that they called a tow truck.

I take it a step further and never hook up a trailer for someone else, or tie down a load for them. I will assist in holding a strap/ chain in place, or guide them back to a trailer and lower the jack so it rests on the ball. Anything else is up to whoever is driving to make sure it's properly attached or secured. And I refuse to let someone tie down or hook up anything for me as well. I've had people hook up a trailer or equipment, not check that it's the proper sized ball, or a hook isn't secured properly trying to save me time and be helpful. It takes longer to redo something someone else did then it does to do it myself :rolleyes:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
We were 4 wheeling near a lake north of Phoenix when we came across an older gentleman in a small 2wd Toyota pickup stuck in a mud flat where the lake had receded. He asked for help, so I rigged a tow from my Landcruiser, and when I attempted to hook to his hitch ball, (hitch mounted solidly to the frame) he refused, saying I must wrap my chain around his spring shackle. WTF? When I explained that that would destroy the shackle at the very least, he became very angry & told me to GTFO, so I packed up my stuff & left.
A few hours later we came by again & he was still stuck, but with one rear shackle completely collapsed, and the other one torn off completely. We laughed & drove away. Near dark, we passed by again, and his front AND rear bumpers had been pulled off, and his grille was damaged. He was covered in mud head to toe, and pleaded with me to pull him out. I said "No, you ran me off because you knew more than I, and we can all see the results of your thinking." He then apologized, said he would keep his mouth shut, and do whatever I told him to do, and then offered me $100 cash. I rigged a strap, hooked to his hitch, & pulled him out in one yank. Took about 3 minutes total. I kept his $100 to teach him a lesson.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Back in high school, on winter break. I delivered a chord of firewood for my dad in his one ton dump truck. It was to a ski resort with one hell of a hill going up to it. It started snowing on my way up to it. I started having folks flag me down to pull them out. Spent about an hour pulling five cars up to the top of the hill at $25 bucks a piece to get them out. Each one I told to wait for the plow truck. I had passed it on my way up. I left, went down the other side of the mountain three miles and did the delivery at the ski area. 1/2 hour later I start back up and find all five cars in the ditch on the down hill side this time. With the road nice and clear, and freshly sanded :confused: They didn't wait the 20 minutes for the plow truck to come by. Charged them $50 that time to pull them out :cool:

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
Back in the early 60's my wife and I were traveling through Eastern Oklahoma. There were five rigs going down the highway. We were in the middle, a pickup was leading the pack. It was raining cats and dogs. We got hit with edge of a tornado and it pushed all of us off the road into the edge of a field. The mud was almost knee deep. After things settled down the guy in the pickup said if we could all help push and get him up on the blacktop he would pull all of us out. Well everybody pushed and cussed and had mud from head to toe, but we finally got him on the blacktop, then the a$$hole floors it and takes off and leaves us. Well, after about three more hours of pushing and lots more cussing and wallowing in the mud, we finally got everyone out.

Needless to say we never saw the guy in the pickup again. If we had, we would all probably still be in prison. Or maybe that would be called justifiable homicide.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Back in high school, on winter break. I delivered a chord of firewood for my dad in his one ton dump truck. It was to a ski resort with one hell of a hill going up to it. It started snowing on my way up to it. I started having folks flag me down to pull them out. Spent about an hour pulling five cars up to the top of the hill at $25 bucks a piece to get them out. Each one I told to wait for the plow truck. I had passed it on my way up. I left, went down the other side of the mountain three miles and did the delivery at the ski area. 1/2 hour later I start back up and find all five cars in the ditch on the down hill side this time. With the road nice and clear, and freshly sanded :confused: They didn't wait the 20 minutes for the plow truck to come by. Charged them $50 that time to pull them out :cool:
Sounds like good money in high school, did you frequent the area when it snowed after that.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Sounds like good money in high school, did you frequent the area when it snowed after that.
No, I was three hours late getting home. Dad was freaking out worried, since we had gotten a bunch of snow by the time I got home. Then got mad when I would only give him $100 out of the extra money I made :rolleyes: He wanted it all :mad: That ended my delivering for him and helping him out!!! Hell, the only time I got paid for helping him cut, split, and sell the fire wood was if the customer hired me to stack it :rolleyes:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
My son and I used to 4 wheel in the mountains near our home frequently. It almost never failed that we would come across someone stuck in the mud or snow. I never asked for a specific dollar amount if they asked me to help them out. I did ask for donations though. After I explained how much extraction equipment costs and how much replacement costs were for tow straps, winch cables, Hi-Lift jacks, on-board air, etc, I almost always got more money from them than I would have asked for if I set a price to get them out. I have found that if people understand how much money you have invested in extraction equipment, then they seem more willing to donate.