B7100 steering shaft & ballnut issue

BradMW

Equipment
B7100
Oct 9, 2021
Valley Center, CA
I have a B7100 that kept trashing the lower thrust bearing that supports the steering shaft. The ballnut would then get tour up. Its ball bearings would end up in the housing. This happened a couple of times and I would just replace the thrust bearing and piece the ballnut back together and it would be good for a while.
Well the last time it happened it actually chipped the steering shaft’s spiral gear. I went to my local Kubota dealer and almost hit the floor when they told me the steering shaft and ballnut assembly cost $450!! I then went on a search for a used or aftermarket alternative. I found a source selling a new assembly, reliableaftermarketparts.com, for a much more reasonable $50 with free shipping to boot. Their part number matched the “old part number” given to me at the Kubota dealer so I ordered it. When it arrived it was about 1” shorter than the original shaft. I called the Kubota dealer to confirm the part number. He said there was also a “new part number”. I called the seller back and explained the difference in the parts and asked if they had anything under the new part number. They said “no”. So the Kubota parts dealer suggested I cut the support shaft down to make the $50 part work. I did and it went together smoothly with just one issue. Now when I turn the steering wheel left the wheels go right and when I turn the steering wheel right the wheels go left. Normal travel, just completely backwards. Apparently the spiral cut was also reversed on the new steering shaft from the original.

Has anyone else here experienced this? Any suggestions on how I can correct it without spending a small fortune?

For reference the old part number is 66811-41200. The new part number is H6680-41204

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a B7100 that kept trashing the lower thrust bearing that supports the steering shaft. The ballnut would then get tour up. Its ball bearings would end up in the housing. This happened a couple of times and I would just replace the thrust bearing and piece the ballnut back together and it would be good for a while.
Well the last time it happened it actually chipped the steering shaft’s spiral gear. I went to my local Kubota dealer and almost hit the floor when they told me the steering shaft and ballnut assembly cost $450!! I then went on a search for a used or aftermarket alternative. I found a source selling a new assembly, reliableaftermarketparts.com, for a much more reasonable $50 with free shipping to boot. Their part number matched the “old part number” given to me at the Kubota dealer so I ordered it. When it arrived it was about 1” shorter than the original shaft. I called the Kubota dealer to confirm the part number. He said there was also a “new part number”. I called the seller back and explained the difference in the parts and asked if they had anything under the new part number. They said “no”. So the Kubota parts dealer suggested I cut the support shaft down to make the $50 part work. I did and it went together smoothly with just one issue. Now when I turn the steering wheel left the wheels go right and when I turn the steering wheel right the wheels go left. Normal travel, just completely backwards. Apparently the spiral cut was also reversed on the new steering shaft from the original.

Has anyone else here experienced this? Any suggestions on how I can correct it without spending a small fortune?

For reference the old part number is 66811-41200. The new part number is H6680-41204
Contact 007kubotaguy as he often has used parts for older machines and may have seen what you are experiencing.
Use the envelope symbol in the upper right corner of the screen to start
Dave

Reactions: 1 users

BradMW

Equipment
B7100
Oct 9, 2021
Valley Center, CA
I went back to my Kubota dealer. They have all the original parts as well as the new steering shaft and ballnut. None of them had seen a steering shaft with the spiral cut backwards as I had received. They were going to see what they could do to get it fixed.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea it's sounds like you might have gotten the wrong part.

BradMW

Equipment
B7100
Oct 9, 2021
Valley Center, CA
So the Kubota dealer hooked me up with s as new steering shaft and ball nut and put everything back together with the correct top cap shim to set the gear lash. I picked it up, put it on, filled with gear oil and it worked great until today.

Now my wheels are turned all the way to the right and the steering wheel seems to in unscrew from the gear box instead of turning the wheels.