B7100 signs of a cracked head?

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
Checked all fluids, fired her up, and second pass around the yard had steam and smoke. Shut her down, pin hold in the radiator spraying fluid into fan and circulating from there. Filled it back up, limped it to back garage, and parked it. Will get a new radiator, and then seriously thinking of trading it in. It is bleeding me damn near every time I try to use it. It should not have gotten hot enough to hurt anything, I don't believe. It has rolled smoke since I replaced the injectors, hence the question regarding head / head gasket.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Checked all fluids, fired her up, and second pass around the yard had steam and smoke. Shut her down, pin hold in the radiator spraying fluid into fan and circulating from there. Filled it back up, limped it to back garage, and parked it. Will get a new radiator, and then seriously thinking of trading it in. It is bleeding me damn near every time I try to use it. It should not have gotten hot enough to hurt anything, I don't believe. It has rolled smoke since I replaced the injectors, hence the question regarding head / head gasket.

Re-core the radiator and then pressure test the system and see where it go's from there.
Did you fill it back up without it running? That's NO-NO always put cold fluid into a Hot motor with it running. If it was hot enough to crack the engine the cold fluid could do it, kind of like a shock.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Re-core the radiator and then pressure test the system and see where it go's from there.
Did you fill it back up without it running? That's NO-NO always put cold fluid into a Hot motor with it running. If it was hot enough to crack the engine the cold fluid could do it, kind of like a shock.
It actually doesn't matter on this model of tractor and engine, it's a thermosiphon system, no water pump, so no shock. ;)

If it was smoking white out of the exhaust, yea it's either cracked the head or blown the head gasket, Sadly the cracked head is a more likely scenario. :(

Pull the head then you'll know one way or the other. ;)

Most radiator shops can not recore these small radiators, they might be able to fix a leak.
So you'll be better to just get a new radiator.

https://www.ebay.com/i/263338988139...yn2rMWKNCeiKL-3hy8HiG3TQHD4yClPRoCba4QAvD_BwE

Last edited:

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
No white smoke, black like coal. Smokes like an old Cummins under load. I think I was taken when I got this, and getting tired of putting money into this when it won't do what I want. Fix it and trade it in is my current thought.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No white smoke, black like coal. Smokes like an old Cummins under load. I think I was taken when I got this, and getting tired of putting money into this when it won't do what I want. Fix it and trade it in is my current thought.

Black smoke is not a water issue, it's an over fuel issue.
It sounds like your overheat issue is caused by over fueling.
You have a bad fuel injector. ;)

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
Ordered the new radiator, thank you for the link. Once it is replaced, I will assess further needs and act accordingly. As much as I want a FEL, it is not a need yet.

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
Just a quick update, thanks to North Idaho Wolfman's talents, my B7100 is back in the land of the living, and running well. I still have a pesky oil leak to address, but she is running and usable. My new L2501 is to be delivered tomorrow, and the pair will work well together for many years to come. Thanks to all for the advice and expertise in this forum, it has helped me immensely!

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk