B7100 Sector Shaft Replacement

REB

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Jun 2, 2014
Coos Bay, Oregon
I have broken the sector shaft on my little 1996 B7100HST-D. I have searched the forums and watched the excellent videos. I have found that Coleman Equipment has a new sector shaft (H6680-41150) for $254. I have the old one out and all the other parts, bearings, etc. look good. I can't seem to get the side cover (66811-41160) off the shaft. I can turn the backlash adjustment screw in and out all the way but it just stops tight. It's probably easy but I just don't want to break something else. It this cover just a press fit onto the sector shaft? Can anyone give me advice on how you remove this cover off the shaft. Thank you.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It sounds like it's just stuck, it's just inserted in the cover, try twisting and pulling at the same time.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Turn the adjustment screw all the way in. The end of that screw is locked to the end of the sector shaft. The end of the sector has a "T" slot in it and the screw is locked in till you can slide them sideways to release.

Attachments

Last edited:

REB

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Jun 2, 2014
Coos Bay, Oregon
Thank you..I suspected something like that. I will try turning the adjusting screw all the way in and then pulling. Should I be able to screw that in until I can see the "T" or will it still be hidden? The screw just stops with 8mm or so of threads still exposed. I did try pulling with the screw at both extremes but obviously I need to try harder. I appreciate the responses very much.

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Thank you..I suspected something like that. I will try turning the adjusting screw all the way in and then pulling. Should I be able to screw that in until I can see the "T" or will it still be hidden? The screw just stops with 8mm or so of threads still exposed. I did try pulling with the screw at both extremes but obviously I need to try harder. I appreciate the responses very much.
It should turn in and go all the way through. I don't remember exactly how far it needs to go before you can slide the sector shaft sideways and clear it of the adjusting screw. Don't pull to hard on the sector shaft you could break the head off the adjusting screw.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes kubotasam's right, I was wrong :eek:,
The screw is threaded into the case and holds the selector shaft, thread it all the way in and if it stops pull and twist slightly, then back to the screw, flip flop back and forth till you can get the shaft out and then slide off of the bolt head.

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
What would cause the sector shaft to break?

REB

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Jun 2, 2014
Coos Bay, Oregon
I was working close to a vertical sand bank. The tire hit the bank and turned sharply and the shaft broke. It seems strange that the shaft broke instead of another link in the path. I have since found that the steering stop bolt was missing on that side. This may have allowed the tire to turn too much. I found a suitable bolt and nut and the hardware store and added it now so there are turning stops at both sides. I will adjust those once I get it back up and running.

Thanks for the help. I had to use an impact driver to get the screw out. Odd. I tried running the screw in and out after I got it out. No way. It would just stop at the same point. Luckily I had a tap that matched and after running that through the cover a few times to clean the threads all is well. The adjustment screw goes in and out properly and smoothly. All I need now is a new shaft, the shaft seal, and a gasket for the cover.....until the next thing breaks.

There are several leaks that I want to address over time. The next thing I think will be to stop the leaks from the main hydraulic valve for the front end loader bucket. Hopefully just some new O-rings or something.

Thanks again guys for your quick responses and willingness to help. What a great website.

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
Thanks REB

I went out and checked, and I have one stop bolt missing. I'll replace that tomorrow.

kubotasam

Equipment
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
When you go to reassemble the steeling box. Take the time to watch Vic;s videos again. It is super important to get both the ball-nut and the sector shaft aligned correctly or you will damage the ball nut.

REB

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Jun 2, 2014
Coos Bay, Oregon
Thanks for the reminder. I did read that thread and watch the videos when searching for my answer originally. I should get the parts in the next few days and then I will try to follow and carefully align the teeth on the sector shaft gear and the other gear. Makes sense.

REB

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Jun 2, 2014
Coos Bay, Oregon
All went well and I'm back up and running. Parts came and were nice, new factory Kubota parts. Shaft, seal and gasket fit perfect.

Was able to get the gear timing right by marking the left and right turn limits on the gear box prior to attaching the pitman arm and positioning the sector shaft rotation so it was in the middle of those two marks; then holding the ball nut in the middle of its position on the steering shaft; and dropping the steering wheel, shaft, and the whole "dashboard" into place all at once. Took a couple tries to get the gear timing this way since the ball nut spins and drops so easily but really easy and had it done within 10 minutes or so.

Did some tests full left and right while holding the front tires off the ground with the FEL, filled the box up with oil, and adjusted the backlash screw. Noticed that the sector shaft and the pitman arm have marks that line up when installed correctly. Finally, adjusted the turning stops at the front wheels so that the tire stops just before the end of travel is reached at the sector shaft gear in the box, hopefully reducing strain on the gearbox when hitting the turn limits in the future.

Went back out and moved some more sand.

Thanks to this website and the members here, this little task was much, much easier than if I had to research and tackle it alone. Thank you.

Attachments

clippy

Equipment
Kubota B6100D w/ Kubota FL1000 Tiller, Kubota Bedder, Brush Hog Mower
Thanks to you REB for posting your final outcome (with pics... always helpful.) So often people will post a question about an issue which will generate a lot of discussion. But then the original person won't let everyone know how things worked out for them in the end. Glad you did... so if I have a problem with my sector shaft on my "new to me" B6100 I know I'll appreciate it. Thanks again.