B7100 regulator test

nevertoolate

Equipment
B1700 FWD
Nov 12, 2014
Canton, GA
I'm in the final stages of rehabbing a B7100D and need to resolve an issue with the charging system. At the battery terminals I read the battery voltage only regardless of engine speed. I have 29.8 V AC coming to the regulator which I understand from reading other posts indicates the dynamo is OK. I have 0 V DC when I check from the the regulator output wire to ground. Pretty sure that means the regulator is toast but wondered if I am missing anything.

Thanks in advance.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Something smells fishy. Even though you have a dynamo, it's like an alternator in that it doesn't generate its rated output at idle; the higher the RPM, the greater the output voltage (so the voltage should increase with an increase in RPMs) ... and I don't believe any of these old tractors can generate almost volts -- and dynamos generate DC, unlike alternators, which generate ... drumroll ... alternating current (the AC you've recorded).

As for testing regulator output, I'd want to ask how you performed the test before sticking my foot in any deeper.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I'm in the final stages of rehabbing a B7100D and need to resolve an issue with the charging system. At the battery terminals I read the battery voltage only regardless of engine speed. I have 29.8 V AC coming to the regulator which I understand from reading other posts indicates the dynamo is OK. I have 0 V DC when I check from the the regulator output wire to ground. Pretty sure that means the regulator is toast but wondered if I am missing anything.

Thanks in advance.
You seem right on target. The dynamo should produce around 30 volts AC current at full rpm. If no DC current on the output side then the regulator/rectifier is bad. You did check that the ground wire from the regulator/rectifier is attached and with a clean connection?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
dynamos generate DC, unlike alternators, which generate ... drumroll ... alternating current (the AC you've recorded).
Negative on the "Dynamos Generate DC"
Dynamos produce Pulsed AC across the 2 leads.
So 15V per lead and 30V across both leads.
The Difference between a Dynamo and an alternator lies in the Magnetic field. A dynamo uses permanent magnets and an alternator uses an electrically induced magnetic field.

nevertoolate

Equipment
B1700 FWD
Nov 12, 2014
Canton, GA
You seem right on target. The dynamo should produce around 30 volts AC current at full rpm. If no DC current on the output side then the regulator/rectifier is bad. You did check that the ground wire from the regulator/rectifier is attached and with a clean connection?
I've taken all the electrical connections apart and cleaned them hoping that would resolve the problem. It did not. Thanks for the confirmation.

nevertoolate

Equipment
B1700 FWD
Nov 12, 2014
Canton, GA
Something smells fishy. Even though you have a dynamo, it's like an alternator in that it doesn't generate its rated output at idle; the higher the RPM, the greater the output voltage (so the voltage should increase with an increase in RPMs) ... and I don't believe any of these old tractors can generate almost volts -- and dynamos generate DC, unlike alternators, which generate ... drumroll ... alternating current (the AC you've recorded).

As for testing regulator output, I'd want to ask how you performed the test before sticking my foot in any deeper.
I could have been clearer, 29.8 V at max RPM output increases with RPM.