B7100 PTO shaft lock ring(groove?) question

JSorangeman

Equipment
Kubota B7100
May 20, 2023
Washington
I have a slightly dinged up female end of the pto shaft on my brush hog. It goes on my male Tractor pto shaft but on locks into the first ring only. It gets jammed tight if I try to keep pushing it to the second lock ring. My options, without ordering a new one, are use the first ring, pound it on to the second or try to file out the female end even though I don’t see any obvious burrs. First choice is my preference and I figured why have that ring on there if you’re not supposed to use it but I wanted to ask people who know more than I do about this before I decide. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Coupling to the first indent is not engaging it very far.
Have you cleaned out any debris inside the female end?
Have you tried spraying the PTO splines with a little penetrating oil?
I would take a file to it and see if you can feel any burs or ridges
Take a wire brush to the inside of the coupling and to the PTO shaft

JSorangeman

Equipment
Kubota B7100
May 20, 2023
Washington
Coupling to the first indent is not engaging it very far.
Have you cleaned out any debris inside the female end?
Have you tried spraying the PTO splines with a little penetrating oil?
I would take a file to it and see if you can feel any burs or ridges
Take a wire brush to the inside of the coupling and to the PTO shaft
I spent several hours filing on it with different sized files and couldn’t feel or see any burrs or ridges. I’m wondering if it’s a little bit off circular or tapered somehow and that’s my issue. I’ve considered grinding it with a dremel. Do you think it’s in danger of breaking the pto shaft to run it only at that first indent? Obviously it shouldn’t come off the shaft since it would be locked with that indent but I know there’s a lot of torque on it running the brush hog I’m running……

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I spent several hours filing on it with different sized files and couldn’t feel or see any burrs or ridges. I’m wondering if it’s a little bit off circular or tapered somehow and that’s my issue. I’ve considered grinding it with a dremel. Do you think it’s in danger of breaking the pto shaft to run it only at that first indent? Obviously it shouldn’t come off the shaft since it would be locked with that indent but I know there’s a lot of torque on it running the brush hog I’m running……
Yes, I think there is a high chance of doing damage to the shaft, bearings, gears or case if it's not fully seated. ;)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Sounds like you've confirmed it IS the female(brush hog) side that's damaged. If you have digital calipers(dang cheap these days), measure the splines to see where's it's bad, oval or egg shaped.
If you could get the 'yoke' off and slide into a 2nd 'male' section,you could press the 'egg' shape back into a 'circle',once you know where the 'high' spots are. No 2nd male section, then a solid bar ( 1-3/8" ?) should work.
This is another be nice to be there, to see and try this or that problems......

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Do you have any other PTO powered implements? I ask if this issue is specific to this PTO shaft and female connector or if other implements may also stick at the same spot.