B7100 non-HST, PTO won't spin rotate

chickenfriend

Jul 2, 2016
FR, VA
After replacing the PTO seal on this non-HST B7100 D Kubota, the PTO won't spin!

This tractor has a PTO selector lever on the operator's left, with three speeds and neutrals in between. It is necessary to disengage the engine clutch to do the shifting.

The PTO was working before the seal was changed. I removed the PTO plate and PTO shaft during the process, and refilled with new gear oil after a drain.

Oddly, when in PTO speed #3, the shaft will manage to rotate just a little on its own but then stop.

I am very puzzled.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Manually turn the PTO shaft CCW with your hand, do you hear a clack clack clack?

Did the bottom shaft come out at all when you pulled the cover?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You sound like you might have a very old model with no one way clutch.
You'll need to pull the cover back off, pull the bottom shaft out then go fishing for the coupler, it will be laying in the bottom of the case.

1678155525510.png

Reactions: 1 user

chickenfriend

Jul 2, 2016
FR, VA
You sound like you might have a very old model with no one way clutch.
You'll need to pull the cover back off, pull the bottom shaft out then go fishing for the coupler, it will be laying in the bottom of the case.

View attachment 97497
Thanks so much for your assistance!

That must be what happened.

Glad I won't have to split the trans!

The tractor serial number is 87001-41171. The parts list which came with the tractor, does not show a one-way clutch.

It is a nusiance that the little bush hog must be completely stopped spinning before changing gears. I usually slow the engine to slow the bush hog, before putting the clutch in, that way, I don't have to wait as long for it to spin down.

I've often thought how nice it would be to have an overunning clutch on the bush hog drive shaft.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Thanks so much for your assistance!

That must be what happened.

Glad I won't have to split the trans!

The tractor serial number is 87001-41171. The parts list which came with the tractor, does not show a one-way clutch.

It is a nusiance that the little bush hog must be completely stopped spinning before changing gears. I usually slow the engine to slow the bush hog, before putting the clutch in, that way, I don't have to wait as long for it to spin down.

I've often thought how nice it would be to have an overunning clutch on the bush hog drive shaft.
You can buy an over run clutch and just slip it in in between the tractor PTO and your bush hog PTO shaft. Worst case you might have to cut down your bush hog’s PTO shaft if it’s too long with the over run clutch in the line. Ran one for years behind our older tractors with a bush hog. Example:

Edit: That was just an example. Still have to make sure you get the right size for your setup.

chickenfriend

Jul 2, 2016
FR, VA
You can buy an over run clutch and just slip it in in between the tractor PTO and your bush hog PTO shaft. Worst case you might have to cut down your bush hog’s PTO shaft if it’s too long with the over run clutch in the line. Ran one for years behind our older tractors with a bush hog. Example:

Edit: That was just an example. Still have to make sure you get the right size for your setup.
Thanks for the information and link. It's a Woods Billy Goat bush hog. I was going to cut a little off the shaft last year but there was something odd about having to do that--I think the configuration of the metal safety shield-- which wasn't simple, although I am sure it could be done.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can buy an overrunning coupler that attaches to the PTO shaft.

it will protect your tractor and make it easier to use

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Thanks for the information and link. It's a Woods Billy Goat bush hog. I was going to cut a little off the shaft last year but there was something odd about having to do that--I think the configuration of the metal safety shield-- which wasn't simple, although I am sure it could be done.
If you post a pic im sure someone could give a good suggestion on that.

My gear trans 7100 has the overrunning clutch but i have never checked or noticed whether my b6100 does. I'd be curious to know if the factory parts to convert to 'internal' overrunning clutch are cheap, but i KNOW the external ones are available as low as ~$45.

chickenfriend

Jul 2, 2016
FR, VA
Just as North Idaho Wolfman indicated above, the problem was that a coupler dropped off the shaft when I took it out. It was on the bottom of the trans housing, just behind the pto plate. All is well now.

The Woods mini bushhog uses a shear pin pto collar slipped over the gear case input shaft, so I would have to put any overunning pto device onto the tractor's pto.

Reactions: 1 users