B7100 new owner- cannot start - need advise.

uminski

Equipment
b7100
Dec 4, 2023
NJ
I joined the forum because, I inherted a Kubota B7100 tractor and I cannot start it.
The tractor has been sitting idle for about 3 to 5 years.
I installed a new battery and the diesel tank is full.
When , I turn the glow plug switch to the left,, the glow plug indicator does not light up.
When I turn the ignition key to the right, no response.
So I tried to jump start the started via screw driver to starter soilinoid and the motor turns over.
I am not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?
Regards
Alan

Last edited by a moderator:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I joined the forum because, I inherted a Kubota B7100 tractor and I cannot start it.
The tractor has been sitting idle for about 3 to 5 years.
I installed a new battery and the diesel tank is full.
When , I turn the glow plug switch to the left,, the glow plug indicator does not light up.
When I turn the ignition key to the right, no response.
So I tried to jump start the started via screw driver to starter soilinoid and the motor turns over.
I am not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?
Regards
Alan
alan.uminski@verizon.net
908-268-5355
Did you check the CONDITION of BOTH battery cables at BOTH ends?
Remove cables, and thoroughly clean ALL 4 contact points!

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The first recommendation is to remove your telephone number and your email address.

The second is to check for any safety switches to make sure that they are in the neutral position. Even older tractors had some safety devices on them such as the PTO levers.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
You didn't state whether your tractor was hst or gear transmission.
Gear units must have the clutch depressed and held down during starting. ( Not sure about hst)
The glow plug indicator normally is not visible in bright light, may have a dull glow in low light conditions.

Reactions: 2 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
AS Lil Foot said the clutch MUST be pressed down to start. - true with HST TOO.

I bought a B7100 and it would not start - came to find out the person had by-passed the safety on the clutch and the bypass had failed ( wires came apart! - since fixed.

Also - you will have to hold that key to the left for 30+ seconds in a dark place to see the glow indicator just as Lil Foot said.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Yeah, it doesnt sound YET as though its definitely broken, but possibly just misunderstood.

First, tell us whether it has a gear shifter in front of the seat, that would definitely need the clutch pushed to start.

Regardless of whether the glow plug indicator ever glows, just try homding the key to the left for 20 seconds or so before cranking ‘just to see’ if it changes anything. Even a sputtering during cranking is a sign of progress.

Good news is with a diesel kubota only sitting for 3 years, theres about a 95% chance it will just start once you can get it cranking and glow plugs working.