B7100 Loader Float

Saskstallion

Mar 9, 2018
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Hi everyone. I've got a 1980 B7100D with a FEL.
I bought it used, and it has the two-joystick loader setup (one for the boom and the other for the bucket).
Would anyone be able to tell me if all FEL's have the float function, or is this generally only the FEL's with the single joystick?
Any info would be much appreciated!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Probably depends on what loader you have- does it look like the pics?
If so, look at the bottom of the left upright- (not sure which side- inside, front, back?) and see if there is a nomenclature plate. The most common factory loader from this era on a B7100 is the B219. (pictured) There is also a B1630, and another that currently escapes me. The B219 does have float capability; push the inner stick all the way forward and it should lock into a detent. That being said, I've never seen one (out of 8) that the detent feature wasn't all rusted away. Mine would go into float, but wouldn't come back out. (PITA)
The detent is under the cap with the red arrow, and besides the rust problems, it has a nasty tendency to spew the detent balls & springs everywhere when you pull the cap off. User discretion is advised. You can operate the float by holding the stick the proper amount forward, but that gets old & tedious real fast.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hi everyone. I've got a 1980 B7100D with a FEL.
I bought it used, and it has the two-joystick loader setup (one for the boom and the other for the bucket).
Would anyone be able to tell me if all FEL's have the float function, or is this generally only the FEL's with the single joystick?
Any info would be much appreciated!
The setup you have is two levers not two joysticks. You could have a single joystick for a FEL valve.

Regardless if the FEL valve has two levers or a joystick, their internal function is the same.

In FEL application you need a two spool valve. One spool to control the lift arms and the second to control the bucket.

Two spool valves come in many configurations to suit a wide variety of applications. When a tractor manufacturer or after market loader manufacturer orders a FEL valve for their tractor or loader, they will have taken the time to order the necessary options.

CROSS is a major hydraulic manufacturer. I have marked up their 2 spool valve spec sheet to give you an idea of the many different options available and in most, the external appearance will be the same.

With a 1980's tractor, was the loader an original Kubota installation or one installed after the tractor was purchased?

Dave

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You can most often determine if you have a float position on a two spool valve, is to see if the end of one spool is longer than the other. The longer one protects the float components.