B7100 ignition switch

DanielRS

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 31, 2013
Arcadia, Oklahoma USA
Bought a used Kubota B7100 with what I later found out had about 14000 hours on it, Yes you could make the argument that I was rather stupid, paid about $2200 for it. Some how it still functions even though I'm fairly certain it received no maintenance for several thousand hours. I know this because someone scratched the hours on the transmission filter when they changed it.
Anyway it has been working well and I thought the battery had gone bad because the glow plug heating indicator light would come one but barely move starter then no glow plug light, waited a few hours same thing. Batter is good, had it checked several ways. Want to pull ign. switch and check it out. Have only gotten as far as unscrewing top outside ring. Entire will rotate and if there is an inside nut holding it in place haven't figured a way to break it loose, very little distance between the switch casing and dash panel. Any suggestions short of a plasma cutter?
Thanks

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
14,000 hours with spotty maintenance? What a posterchild for Kubota quality!
Welcome to OTT!

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
Bought a used Kubota B7100 with what I later found out had about 14000 hours on it,
14,000 hours on the engine? Well maybe not, but it is possible though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, for the B7100, leaving the key in the run position allows the hour meter to run 24/7, even if the engine is off (at least this is how my B7100 functions).

The only thing the key does is to allow the hour meter to run, heat the glow plugs, and start the engine.

The reverse is true that while while the engine is runing, you can turn the key off, the hour meter stops, but the engine keeps running.

So it's possible that even low hour engines may not be all that low.

Last edited:

DanielRS

Equipment
B7100HST
Aug 31, 2013
Arcadia, Oklahoma USA
Don't think it was the switch. The electrical coupling was falling apart and I found a few other iffy connections. Pulled the coupling and soldered them directly. Only one small problem. Two grey brown wires coming off voltage regulator leading to what looks like one connection at generator. If this is so shouldn't matter if i switched the two wires around but I would like conformation be for I try firing it up. Thank.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Don't think it was the switch. The electrical coupling was falling apart and I found a few other iffy connections. Pulled the coupling and soldered them directly. Only one small problem. Two grey brown wires coming off voltage regulator leading to what looks like one connection at generator. If this is so shouldn't matter if i switched the two wires around but I would like conformation be for I try firing it up. Thank.

No, shouldn't matter.