B7100 HST Temperature Fix

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1982 B7100HST-DT, RC60-71H MMM, 5ft. back blade
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
Hey all. In my first post here, I highlighted a radiator/cooling issue. I got it all fixed up and checked temps. I didn't want to pull an old thread up from the depths, so here's a link for your reading pleasure.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21097
The fix:
Removed radiator, flushed it and engine. Cleaned external radiator surfaces, as well as straightened the fins. Re-installed radiator and used the recommended 70-30 green antifreeze. New 13 psi cap installed. Picked up a laser guided temp gun and checked it after 20 minutes of mowing, then after 90 more minutes of mowing, checking at the top of the rad where the upper hose connects to the radiator, and the bottom where the lower hose connects. The temps were as follows
20 min check: Top - 187 F Bottom - 94 F
90 min check: Top - 196 F Bottom - 96 F

All-in-all, it was a fix. In fact, I used it so much over the last few days I broke the front seat mount.:rolleyes: Maybe it's a sign that I need to get a new aftermarket seat. :D Many thanks to all for the great advice and guidance in helping me fix my toy. Oops, I misspelled tool. It's a tool. :D

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Good work. Yeah, cooling is one area that our little Kubota's need some more work on. Then again, I haven't had any other compact tractors to compare them to so maybe they are all very light on the overhead.

Don't you love it when a fix actually works out? :D

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1982 B7100HST-DT, RC60-71H MMM, 5ft. back blade
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
Thanks! Yeah I really enjoy actually fixing things, rather than patching them, hoping it lasts until whatever miracle occurs.