B7100 HST Rear Tires

protex28

Equipment
'80 B7100HST
Mar 2, 2024
Texas
I just recently bought a B7100 HST tractor. Tires are very old and definitely need replaced. I know there are a lot of threads already that discuss tires for these older b7100 like tractors, but they always end up getting uber confusing because a bunch of people chime in with different variations and I keep getting lost. So, I’m making a thread specific to the B7100 HST to try to keep things clear.

Just so we’re all on the same page, here’s the tractor data wheel dimensions: https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/1/4/5147-kubota-b7100hst-dimensions.html

I’ve got AG tires on it currently, and I want to keep the same style. But, here’s where things get confusing:

1) Tractor data calls for 8.3-16 rears. The tires on there are 8-16. I know that the RC is what really matters, but this tire is so old I can’t find the RC for it (Bridgestone k8702). Additionally, the tractor obviously was not super well maintained, so I don’t trust that the previous owner actually checked to make sure they could use these particular 8-16 instead of the recommended 8.3-16. So, does anyone know what the RC for these should be or how I might find out? Tractordata is wrong. Official size in the WSM is 8-16.

2) I don’t see anything on the valve stem to secure it to the rim. This makes me believe that these are tubeless. Is this a correct assumption? Outside of taking the wheel off, is there any way to be 100% certain? Assuming I want to just go with adding a tube, will I need new rims? Or can I just get a tube for the new tires? Tires are indeed tubeless. This is determined by a fat rubber based stem as opposed to a skinny straight stem or a stem with a bolt to secure it. There are no issues with converting tubeless to tubed.

I know this is a lot so, if I need to clarify anything please let me know.

Edit:
Adding answers to my questions in red for posterity incase anyone else comes looking.

Last edited:

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
If the valve stem is straight without a fat rubber base, it is/has a tube installed. If the valve stem is fat at the base, it is a conventional stem and tubeless. Another type of HD tube can/may have a threaded collar at the base of the stem, again tube installed.

8.3-16, and 8-16 are so close in size they are within the worn circumference differences. I wouldn't be concerned about it especially on such a small machine. One is slightly wider, both should be ~31"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

protex28

Equipment
'80 B7100HST
Mar 2, 2024
Texas
If the valve stem is straight without a fat rubber base, it is/has a tube installed. If the valve stem is fat at the base, it is a conventional stem and tubeless. Another type of HD tube can/may have a threaded collar at the base of the stem, again tube installed.

8.3-16, and 8-16 are so close in size they are within the worn circumference differences. I wouldn't be concerned about it especially on such a small machine. One is slightly wider, both should be ~31"
Awesome, thanks. It does look like there’s a fat rubber base on there so, I think it’s tubeless. Glad to know I’m overthinking the tire size, I’ll just go with 8-16 since that seems to be easier to find.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I just recently bought a B7100 HST tractor. Tires are very old and definitely need replaced. I know there are a lot of threads already that discuss tires for these older b7100 like tractors, but they always end up getting uber confusing because a bunch of people chime in with different variations and I keep getting lost. So, I’m making a thread specific to the B7100 HST to try to keep things clear.

Just so we’re all on the same page, here’s the tractor data wheel dimensions: https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/1/4/5147-kubota-b7100hst-dimensions.html

I’ve got AG tires on it currently, and I want to keep the same style. But, here’s where things get confusing:

1) Tractor data calls for 8.3-16 rears. The tires on there are 8-16. I know that the RC is what really matters, but this tire is so old I can’t find the RC for it (Bridgestone k8702). Additionally, the tractor obviously was not super well maintained, so I don’t trust that the previous owner actually checked to make sure they could use these particular 8-16 instead of the recommended 8.3-16. So, does anyone know what the RC for these should be or how I might find out?

2) I don’t see anything on the valve stem to secure it to the rim. This makes me believe that these are tubeless. Is this a correct assumption? Outside of taking the wheel off, is there any way to be 100% certain? Assuming I want to just go with adding a tube, will I need new rims? Or can I just get a tube for the new tires?

I know this is a lot so, if I need to clarify anything please let me know.

Tractor Data's, data is WRONG
The B7100 ONLY ever came with 8-16's NEVER 8.3-16

There are 8-16 R1 and there are 8-16 R2 or 8.3-16 R2 (rice)
You want 8-16 R1 (not rice tires)

1709796148829.png

You can tube a tubeless rim without issue, But why would you want to?

Reactions: 1 user

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hi Wolf (@North Idaho Wolfman )

Not a tire expert here - but would it seem a good idea tubing a tire (tube type or tubeless) if you were using liquid fill to separate the liquid from the wheel.

I'm curious as to experiences with liquid fill and the types used. A lot of the youtube sites push Rimguard, but I've seen people use windshield washer fluid. I don't know if calcium chloride is used any more.

What kind of experiences do you and others have?

protex28

Equipment
'80 B7100HST
Mar 2, 2024
Texas

View attachment 123777
Thanks. Thats super helpful. Is this information in the WSM? I guess I should actually read the whole thing instead if just piecemeal looking through it.

I was under the impression that tubed is a little bit more resilient. But, the main reason was I was having difficulty finding an 8.3 tubeless. 8-16 tubeless abound, though, so I’ll just stick with tubeless.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Not a tire expert here - but would it seem a good idea tubing a tire (tube type or tubeless) if you were using liquid fill to separate the liquid from the wheel.

I'm curious as to experiences with liquid fill and the types used. A lot of the youtube sites push Rimguard, but I've seen people use windshield washer fluid. I don't know if calcium chloride is used any more.

I have a B7200 with CaCl in the tubeless rears going on 20 years. Never had a problem.

Messicks filled the rears on my brand new L3901 - mystery fluid but pretty sure its not Rimguard.

70 year old 1951 Ford 8N with tubes and CaCl - fallung apart rotten and leaking like a sieve whem I got it. Now has new tubes and rims and no liquid
Kind of light in the britches....

Dan

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

View attachment 123777

What a surprise.

Tractordata is a decent place to start research but the data therein is not to be trusted if accuracy is important.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks. Thats super helpful. Is this information in the WSM? I guess I should actually read the whole thing instead if just piecemeal looking through it.
Yes the info is in the WSM, right in the front part of it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

I don't like calcium chloride, too many down sides.
Rim guard is good, but pricey, and limited access.
I'm in the camp of RV antifreeze then WW fluid, good weight and much less of a environmental impact and rim damage impact.

protex28

Equipment
'80 B7100HST
Mar 2, 2024
Texas
So, appearently even though the stem was fat at the base it's actually tubed type and not tubeless. Got the tire/tube off and the rims have dirt/rust caked on, and the tubes (especailly the valve) look to be 1 psi short of blowing out. I already purchased tubeless tires, but I'm concerned if I go get a tubeless valve, the tires may not seal on the rims. Is it worth the trouble of putting the tire back together to see if the new tires seal, or should I just cut my losses and get new tubes and move on with my life.

I can come back with pictures after work/tomorrow morning if that would be helpful.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So, appearently even though the stem was fat at the base it's actually tubed type and not tubeless. Got the tire/tube off and the rims have dirt/rust caked on, and the tubes (especailly the valve) look to be 1 psi short of blowing out. I already purchased tubeless tires, but I'm concerned if I go get a tubeless valve, the tires may not seal on the rims. Is it worth the trouble of putting the tire back together to see if the new tires seal, or should I just cut my losses and get new tubes and move on with my life.

I can come back with pictures after work/tomorrow morning if that would be helpful.
Sounds like a question best suited for the tire guy.

Dan

protex28

Equipment
'80 B7100HST
Mar 2, 2024
Texas
These pictures make it look better than it is. On "wheel_2" there's a pretty significant high spot on the right portion of the wheel in the image.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

protex28

Equipment
'80 B7100HST
Mar 2, 2024
Texas
Calcium chloride strikes again.
yeah, I don’t even think it was that. Unless it was done a really long time ago. No liquid was present in the wheel/tube. I think the tires just went flat for a really long time at some point and the wheels sat in water. Could have been calcium chloride, though.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. New wheels are on the way.