B7001 Hour Meter Installation

Big D

Equipment
B7001
Nov 21, 2013
Freeland, Wa
I am trying to install a used hour meter/tach on my B7001. The drive cable for the tach drive comes straight out of the meter and interferes with the fuel tank. If it had a 90 degree fitting on the meter it would work. Is such a fitting available or is a different fuel tank avalable which gives the required clearance for the cable? Any suggestions are appreciated.

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
I put an electric hour meter that is controlled by the ignition switch on my B7001 for the same reason but no tach. You can buy an aircraft Hobbs meter for about $30. In my case the wiring was already there behind the blank on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. This might be the cheapest and easiest alternative to modifying the gas tank. I don't know of any way to route the cable to avoid this. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Last edited:

Big D

Equipment
B7001
Nov 21, 2013
Freeland, Wa
Thanks for the reply, DonDC, I'll keep that in mind. It appears that I have the same wiring available. However, I would really like to use the tach/hour meter that I already have so hopefully others may have some ideas.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
if you are using the standard tacho/hr meter which is fitted to the B7100 etc then it will fit the 7001 just the same and you should have no issues with cable routing etc.
it may be moreso that you are not using the correct lenght cable.

rob

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Big D, any chance you could post a photo of the gauge and where the interference with the tank is an issue?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
No I do not have one on my tractor.

I think I read on their site that they could set the initial hour to what you wanted. It has been some time since I was looking at these for another vehicle so I may be remembering incorrectly.

I suggest you contact them and ask about it.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
No I do not have one on my tractor.

I think I read on their site that they could set the initial hour to what you wanted. It has been some time since I was looking at these for another vehicle so I may be remembering incorrectly.

I suggest you contact them and ask about it.
OK, Thanks... I will. Also thanks for posting the link. I kind of forgot about this vendor. seems like a great product.

Big D

Equipment
B7001
Nov 21, 2013
Freeland, Wa
Rob, I was told this came off a B7100. It has a straight-in connection on the back of the tach which is too close to the fuel tank when installed and the clearance between the fuel tank and back of tach is not enough to allow installation of the cable. A drastic bend would occur if installed and most probably the cable would kink and not work.
Nice bike by the way.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
sounds odd as the tacho/hr meter is a kubota option and fitment on the b7100, the tacho does have a straight connection, and yes it is a tight fit to be honest, but if you have the correct cable it will fit in and reach the tacho drive gear on the engine .
if i recall correctly you need to remove tank first to be able to get it fitted or remove the dash screws and move the dash up abit to give you enough room to work in.
once you have the cable fitted to both ends you can then refit the tank and carefully move the cable to enough for clearance etc.
It sounds a bit mad but it does workout .
Are you sure its the correct tacho/hr meter and cable you have.
There is not alot of space behind the dash panel anyway so doing any work in that area can be a challenge, as i said, i allways took of the tank and battery to get maximum working space etc.

good luck with it, maybe some pics from you fitments would help us guide you better to a successful fitment.

rgds
rob

Big D

Equipment
B7001
Nov 21, 2013
Freeland, Wa
thanks again Rob, I'll give it another try. I'm away from the tractor now so it will probably be a couple of weeks before I get back to it. I'll let you know what I find.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Yep, keep me in the loop on this , i'll keep a lookout for your updates.
have a good one .:)
rob

Big D

Equipment
B7001
Nov 21, 2013
Freeland, Wa
OK, tried to install the hour meter again. It will not fit, not enough clearance between the tank and the back of the meter no matter what I try. Looks like I'll have to do a creative installation of the meter. Or, I might try reforming the tank to get the needed clearance. Heating it with a heat gun and forming it to the shape I need. Maybe a different model tank would work. If I could get a 90 degree fitting for the back of the meter, that would do the trick. I'll have to sit back and think about what my next move will be.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Without pictures I'll just be shooting in the dark (That's a hint to post pictures) sounds like your gauge placement is in a different spot than my B7100.

Last edited:

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Without pictures I'll just be shooting in the dark (That's a hint to post pictures) sounds like your gauge placement in in a different spot than my B7100.
I agree with Wolfman... Pictures - we need pictures.

etmccaus

Equipment
B7100DT
Feb 11, 2014
Michigan
Interested in this project as I have the Kubota tach/hour meter and associated parts on their way to my home as we speak. Hoping I can just tackle this by pulling the dash, but if I do need to move the fuel tank somewhat, can I do so without draining it and disconnecting any lines? If not, I'll wait until I get closer to empty before tackling it...

Thanks,

-Evan

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
i agree, need piccy's to be able to offer you more guidanceon this.
sounds like something is non standard on your machine. If you have the correct guage it should fit without issue and connect up, just because its a 7001 makes no difference in this instance , as if you didnt have a guage originally, the mounting hole would be there just pluged and the aperture behind the intsrument panel will be the same as 7100 etc.

are you sure you have the correct guage, i can only assume this is the problem area.

rob

etmccaus

Equipment
B7100DT
Feb 11, 2014
Michigan
Hi guys,

Have to ask a question about all this. Got my parts in order for this and pulled the dash as best I could (couldn't get the decomp cable off without removing from the engine, which I might end up doing anyways just to lube it). In any case, I have the old hour meter out and I'm ready to put the new tach/hourmeter in. Here's my problem -- I'm not sure how to wire it up for the hourmeter portion. Obviously, the cable drive portion spins the tach, but then I have two studs for the mounting bracket, and two random screws. Are those the connectors for the hourmeter? It's certainly different than the 7100's OEM hourmeter, which has leads coming through the casing that plug into the wiring harness.

I know several folks have this installed already but it doesn't seem as if anyone's ever posted photos of the completed install. If you have this on your tractor and don't mind snapping a few pics, I'd be forever grateful...

Appreciate your help...

-Evan