b7000 bent con rod ???

nicky

Equipment
b7000
Apr 6, 2014
ireland
hi.
was out tilling on tractor when it came to a dead stop . figured it was out of diesel so checked tank and it was half full. tried starting but sounded like battery was dead so stuck on new battery and still sounded dead. pulled decompression lever and away she went but as soon as lever was pushed back she got compression and died. took out 1st cylinder injector and she started easily on second. 1st cy injector has loads of diesel and compression but when put back together again will not allow the tractor to start. screwed down the decompresson screw on 1st cylinder and managed to start tractor and got it back into the shed.... took out both injectors and measured (roughly) distance to the top of each cylinder and it seems cy 1 piston is slightly lower than cy 2 piston tdc ..... so i figure the timing is off if the con rod is bent.
anyone stripped one down before ?
is it worth the effort or would it be better to get another engine ?
i can get my hands on a 3 cylinder engine out of a road sweeper but will a bigger engine fit ???

any help greatly appreciated...... nicky.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I wouldn't throw in the towel yet, I don't think you bent a rod, The injector doesn't go directly to the piston it goes to a pre-chamber and on most you can't even see the piston from there.
Did it or was it smoking black before it died?
If it was you have a bad injector and it's flooding the cylinder.

nicky

Equipment
b7000
Apr 6, 2014
ireland
it was actually now you mention it. it almost always started on one cylinder and after a few seconds the other one would start firing but it was always very smoky when only firing on one. when i took out the two injectors cyl 1 was awash with diesel. i will swap around the injectors and see if it starts firing on cyl 1 . :)

nicky

Equipment
b7000
Apr 6, 2014
ireland
ok. so i swapped around injectors. engine ran ok on cylinder two with either of the two injectors in it . after a bit of fiddling with the tappets on cylinder one i got it to fire but when it did it fired with a loud squeal of metal (only way i can describe it !!) so im wondering if it is the piston or ring caught in the cylinder. tractor only ran for 2 seconds and then cut out but once cylinder 1 was decompressed again it started on cy 2 no prob....head coming off me thinks ????............