B670 control valve rebuild

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When I rebuilt the multiple spool valve on my B670, it was fully functional, just leaky. It was caked with dirt & old oil, so I pressure washed the outside, and began disassemble it immediately in case I had gotten any water inside. I disassembled each valve individually, removing o-rings & cleaning the parts with brake cleaner, brass & stainless brushes, & compressed air, then bagging the parts separately to keep from mixing the parts between valves. There was a little rust in a few spots & I used scotchbrite, fine emery, and crocus cloth to clean it up. Always sand/polish 90 degrees to the direction you want to seal.
(for example, do not sand/polish along the long axis of a spool, only radially around it, and remove the absolute minimum of material) Don't want to provide any new micro leak paths, you will already have plenty just from age/wear.
I bought the o-rings from an industrial supply house, in this case the local Parker store, (Parker o-rings) but any decent seal supply house should be able to sell you what you need. I don't have the exact quantity of each size written down, but the receipt lists a total of 49, with extras in case I dropped/damaged any during the process. The individual sizes are listed in my notes as:
sm valve body 2-012 qty 28
lg valve body 2-013 qty 7
sm spool 2-012 qty 7
lg spool 2-112 qty 7
All o-rings, grooves, & hard parts were wetted with hydraulic oil at re-assembly.
The mylar shims are something of a mystery, mine only had one intact & two partials at disassembly, and my hydraulics expert said the only reason he could see to have them in the valve was to keep the individual valve bodies from rusting together. No one at Kubota had a clue what I was even talking about, nor did two local hydraulic shops. My control was put back together with no mylar shims and seems to work fine.

If I'm really careful, I can get two functions at the same time with mine, but it takes careful feathering- I just don't think the pump puts out the volume to do that effectively. If I feel the need for two functions, I find it easier to quickly alternate the two movements back & forth, seems easier/quicker to me.
Hope this long-winded dissertation helps.

And I made a mistake- the cost for the o-rings was $6.56.

Last edited:

bigjerr

Equipment
b7800 b6100 b670
May 3, 2015
calif.
Wow . very good post ,great info, every thing I need .thanks LIL FOOT
...Jerr

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
No problem, maybe you'll have something I need someday.

bigjerr

Equipment
b7800 b6100 b670
May 3, 2015
calif.
I made some calls on the 80.00 parts bag , as I wanted to know what was included , finely got a call back today and the person I talked to was also surprised to find after opening the bag there was.... 3 plastic seal/washers & 7 rubber O-rings 1 of them a larger thicker size , person who called said he sent picture of contents of bag to corporate & he only had 1 instock ,and to ask if the 80.00 is the right price or is bag incomplete. he sent me a pict of contents and I said "not interested" even 8.00 would be high for that. he laughed and he would let me know what Kubota wants to do....
Anyway just to post of the "mystery bag" But I think the parts are so old that some where in the system there is a huge mistake on pricing or contents ....
I well follow the lead of LIL FOOT and hit an o-ring supply house...
OH and mine is clean no leaks just a lil fine rust on some scratched corners an faded paint , I just have one squealing valve , but its old and been sitting since 1991 but amazingly it digs like a cat with diarrhea , serriuos need of hoses, why they don't leak is amazing , took a half a day to find and clean out zerks and grease ,pull and clean pins .etc.
jerr

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
jerr, you keep working that thing and just when you really need to get something finished...pop goes a hose. And you have to try to find someone to fab one up on a Sat. afternoon just before the rain comes in!!!!

Just as well fix them now.

bigjerr

Equipment
b7800 b6100 b670
May 3, 2015
calif.
yes D2cat , its on the list just want to aquire every thing before tearing it down , I plan to rebuild as lil foot did and fit to my b7800 at same time then get rid of the 6100d ...thanks Jerr