B6100 owners, identify mystery wire

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I found a loose wire near the radiator of my B6100, looks like a connector was pulled off the end of the wire. It's painted, so I can't see the color code but it's pretty long -- looks like it would be the headlight wire... but no current when the headlight switch is engaged. It comes out of the wiring harness with the dynamo and starter wires:

Izzit the headlight power?

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Roll back the rubber loom for all the wires. Should be able to get it back far enough to get away from the paint. If not then slice the rubber back a smidgen so you can see the color of the wires :D you can always wrap it in electrical tape :)

With the color code, someone should be able to tell you exactly what it is :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Are you sure it doesn't go to a toggle switch on the dash that would control an electric clutch off the crank shaft for a mower or snowblower? Just a guess :)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I found a loose wire near the radiator of my B6100, looks like a connector was pulled off the end of the wire. It's painted, so I can't see the color code but it's pretty long -- looks like it would be the headlight wire... but no current when the headlight switch is engaged. It comes out of the wiring harness with the dynamo and starter wires:

Izzit the headlight power?
scrape off some the paint and trace the wire color down! ;):)
see if you find it's use in the electrical schematic:)

Attachments

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
If it isn't connected to anything there shouldn't be any current. Voltage is what you should be measuring.
Apologies if this was just a word mixup.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
If it isn't connected to anything there shouldn't be any current. Voltage is what you should be measuring.
Apologies if this was just a word mixup.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Apology not required; my bad. I was measuring (testing for) potential, not current (amperage) -- and I couldn't find any volts in the wire. Shocking, eh? :D

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Thanks guys!

I was hoping for a confirmation -- everything indicates it's the headlight wire. The dash wiring is really hosed and the only things that work properly are the ignition switch and the hour meter. I can limp along and I see no point in trying to fix one or two things in the driveway. I'll get it inside and disassemble the dash and wiring, and fix or properly attach everything electrical when I reassemble it.