B6100 Front wheel repair

Sterno

Equipment
Kubota B6100D, B7100HST, Ber-Vac S51 3PT Snowblower, Kubota A450
Dec 9, 2012
Summerland, British Columbia
So I know we're fans of pictures, thought I'd share a story.

I'd been contemplating R4 tires for our 6100 but was having a tough time finding appropriate wheels at a reasonable price when, surprise surprise the sidewall in 1 of the front tires let go.
So, decision was made, we're sticking with R1s, ordered them and went about pulling the old tires off the rims

here they are, rusty but don't look too bad....

...until I start sandblasting, that once was the valve stem hole

pitting and pinholes galore.

At this point I stopped, grabbed the MIG welder and spent about 2 hours rebuilding the valve stem holes and filling all the deep pits and pinholes.

also added valve stem guards. Here they are being powder coated, Zinc-rich epoxy with Safety orange topcoat (pretty close to the old Kubota orange I think)

and the finished product, Titan 6-12 tires mounted and ballasted. These should last for a couple more years.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Good job salvaging those rims! It was probably a good thing that sidewall went out- it was time to address the rims.
There is something about a new tire that just makes you tingle all over! They look great.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Jeese that thing looks like the moon! Mig is definitely the right tool for filling craters though. Did you do anything to the bead or are you running tubes?

Sterno

Equipment
Kubota B6100D, B7100HST, Ber-Vac S51 3PT Snowblower, Kubota A450
Dec 9, 2012
Summerland, British Columbia
As requested:

The new front tires and coated wheels make the rest look pretty shameful. More powder coating to come once the snow's gone!

Stumpy, I did put tubes in, as bad as these were I wasn't going to chance a bead leak. Besides, I used calcium chloride due to cost and the fact that the rims are already on their way out.