B6100 7100 brake shaft differential gear replacement

smokinhart

Equipment
b6000E,B6100DT, King Cutter RM48, Front end Loader, Rear Blade,Gravel Reclaimer
Oct 21, 2009
Manhattan, Kansas
Just dug into the right side brake cover on the b6100 tonight to find the problem of why the right brake would not grab. The differential axle shaft drive coming up to the brake drum is broken directly behind the drum. :confused:

I looked in WSM but found nothing for advice. :( Maybe Vic or someone can tell me if I have to go into the differential to remove and replace this shaft or if it can be pulled from the cover and bearing side against the axle shaft. In other word is there any retainer clip deep inside the diff case or is it in a bearing sleeve at the back of the shaft so that when I replace the shaft and outer bearing it can just slide in place and mesh in with the axle drive?.

Help. Its February and the tractor rebuild is dragging out way to long. Of course I just fabbed and installed the loader subframe and it will all have to come off just to start into the diff cover .

Even any words of encouragement here guys.?

Last edited:

smokinhart

Equipment
Oct 21, 2009
Manhattan, Kansas
Thanks "Bohunk Farmer" for getting me the Service Manual. The entire case side on the right has to come off, Diff lock collar, Axle housing and diff brake shaft removed.

Still looking for the reason why the brake drum broke off from the shaft.

Anyone else ever experience this issue and have any input as to how to avoid this happening again please chime in!

smokinhart

Equipment
Oct 21, 2009
Manhattan, Kansas
Yep, that side cover has to come off so you can get at the back side of that axle stub shaft. You are on the right path.
Loader brackets down, Brakes off, axle off. New pinion shaft, bearings and oil seals, brake shoes. A little permatex and back together like a charm!

Didn't know new brakes would stop this machine so fast. Found some condensation in the lower unit so it was time for new fluid anyway.

Thanks Vic and Bohunk for the assist.

smokinhart

Equipment
Oct 21, 2009
Manhattan, Kansas
The shaft was replaced and brakes work almost too good. Might be what broke this shaft on the first place.

Here's what broke. Right side differential Pinion shaft. Fun, fun Fun to replace!

Old Dan

Equipment
B7100
Mar 24, 2011
Yacolt, WA
I just joined this site tonight because of your post and picture. Same thing going on with my B7100. How do I go about getting a repair manual? Thanks for your help.

smokinhart

Equipment
Oct 21, 2009
Manhattan, Kansas

michael496

Equipment
'79 B7100, 5' Massey Ferguson Finish Mower
Feb 26, 2013
Titusville, FL
Alas Just bought my little beauty, and the right side is broken. I'll look around and see if I can find a used one. Seems to be a pretty common issue with the b7100. Does anyone know if the left and right sides are the same?

Last edited: