B6000 is it worth it?

cappys tractor

Equipment
B6000 and Husqvarna mower (hey, it's orange too!)
Jan 18, 2010
Cape Cod, Ma
I have a B6000. I use this old dinosaur as a yard task master. ripping out roots, bushes, FEL, and grading driveway, plowing snow. I bought a 3PH log splitter. (uses tractor hyd system)

I need a lawn mower for 3/4 acre. Before I sink more money into a MMM, Is it worth it to take the old girl to the Orange dealer to see how much life is left in her? How much should a check up cost? are these old B6000's rebuildable? is it worth rebuilding them (if needed) considering their age?

The short list of what needs doing is, glow plugs, brakes, clutch, and generator. maybe front end. But it does run just fine the way it is.

Any one else had, have or been through a late model B6000?

I ask because I see 30 to 50 year old gas tractors around doing just what I want to do with a 'real' tractor. Is it worth spending more money to keep it going?

What do you wisened tractorphiles think?

Oh yeah. If I am to use this as a lawn tractor I would need to change the Ags for Turfs. There seems to be NO way to easily do that. any suggestions?

Thanks
Cappy

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I've got a B6100 and its a little rough around the edges. Over time I have repaired things here and there along the way so its not one massive expense all up front. It sounds like you could do the same. If your still using it and dont mind geting a little dirty and turn a wrench I'd say repair what you can along the way. Start with something thats more important then most. To me it sounds like your B6000 just needs some TLC and a little attention. I did the breaks on mine, it was a simple install. Much like the breaks on a car they install the same way so it wasnt all that bad to do.

I use mine in a landscaping biz on the side and its held up well and runs great. I'm looking into geting a larger tractor and FEL for bigger jobs and complete them faster. Im kicking around the idea of either selling or trading my B6100 or keep it and buy what I need. Im leaning more twords keeping the B6100 so I can handle jobs of any size. So for me I dont mind speding a little money to keep her going.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Keep in mind the reverse rotation of the B6000 power take off. You may have trouble finding attachments.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Hey can purchase a PTO adaptor to spin it in the clock wise direction.
You can also purchase opposite cut blades for mower decks if a mower is the only attachment.

cappys tractor

Equipment
Jan 18, 2010
Cape Cod, Ma
I am not planning on using the pto. I haven't needed any rotating equipment for the last 4 years I have owned it. I just want to ensure the engine lasts (and lasts and lasts!)

Oh yeah, it would be helpful if the front end and gear box accompanied the engine too! :)

I probably only use this beast 5 or 10 times a year. But when I do it is to totally destroy something or another. replanting, moving, digging, spreading, or otherwise manual labor. I just cant see the benefit of buying one of these 'lightweight' throw away tractors. But I know the old girl is 30 some years old. I know diesel engines can be rebuilt. (I wish I knew how)

Here are some before and after photos of things I have made by Orange.

And when it is cold Orange likes to play in the snow too!

There is something to be said for seat time on the old dinosaur!

and when bored, the driveway needs some TLC

6 tons down, 6 to go.

Last edited:

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
My vote is on keeping it running.
Buying a throw away machine will only piss you off

Do consider a rear mount mower instead of MMM.
Rear mount gets my vote.
You may not need turfs to mow.
I used ags but wait until the ground is dry.
Sure there are a few spots where the foot print is noticeable but I'm not running a golf course here.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
I am with Meanjean on the rear mount mower, It can be unhooked literally within a few minutes and driven away from, Easy to use, You can back up to edges of ponds and ditches and mow and unlike a mid mount mower where if you get hung up the 3 point rear mower lifts higher and you can get unstuck/unhungup a lot easier.It is easier to remove blades for changing or sharpening and with the rear discharge mowers the grass clippings are spread out across the width of the mower and not pushed to one side, The rear discharge is less likely to clog and clump in my opinion.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Mid mount or rear mount mower sure sounds like PTO to me.
Be careful of assuming all belt drive equipment can be turned backwards.
If it has a spring loaded belt tensioner like my Land Pride RFM and many others trying to turn the mower backwards will not work.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
If it has a spring loaded belt tensioner like my Land Pride RFM and many others trying to turn the mower backwards will not work.
Many times you can find reverse cut blades for the mowers and need not do anything with the belts.

cappys tractor

Equipment
Jan 18, 2010
Cape Cod, Ma
Mid mount or rear mount mower sure sounds like PTO to me.
The tractor does have the pulley running off the front of the crank, above the axle. That is why I thought of a MMM. But The wife has ixnayed any thought of using this in weekly mowing. She cant shift. So I am looking into selling this and upgrading to HST. Maybe a new(er) Orange is in my future?