B6000 Fan belt replacement?

edinottawa

Equipment
B6000E, B6000DT, Massey Ferguson GC2300, Massey MF-14 x2, MF-16 x3, MF1650 x2
Dec 31, 2016
Near Ottawa Ontario
greetings! Need to change the fan belt. I've searched this forum and the web and the only info I can find says that the;
radiator needs to be loosened and,
the engine mounting bolts need to be removed and,
the engine and transmission lifted slightly so that the belt can clear the front PTO drive shaft.

I have the Owner's, Service and Parts manuals and they don't help at all.

Any other suggestions from this august assembly? Surely it must be easier than that to change a fan belt?

Watch my other post for a clutch discussion.

thanks in advance

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If there is not enough room to get the belt off the crank pulley, then yep you'll have to do what they say to do. ;)

edinottawa

Equipment
B6000E, B6000DT, Massey Ferguson GC2300, Massey MF-14 x2, MF-16 x3, MF1650 x2
Dec 31, 2016
Near Ottawa Ontario
B6000 Fan Belt Change
1. Get a new fan belt; Kubota part #15231-72532 Belt, Fan. Belt is also marked BANDO RPF 2300 9.5x765 LA
2. Remove negative battery cable from battery terminal.
3. Remove hood; 4 bolts that attach hood hinge to radiator support.
4. Remove front (electric) PTO, if installed; Disconnect 1 wire to the PTO, remove 4 bolts that attach PTO assembly to the tractor frame.
5. Lift and remove the PTO. The spider rubber insert is Lovejoy #44-001-7;. The metal spider frame is Lovejoy L-099 (x2). Inspect the insert and replace if the rubber is deteriorated, has cracks, missing parts. Its inexpensive so order one at the same time as the fan belt.
6. Remove the crankshaft to PTO coupling; 3 bolts into the crankshaft pulley. If the PTO comes completely off in step 5, step 6 may not be necessary.
7. Remove the Belt tensioner/adjuster cover (in front of the oil filler cap); 2 bolts attach the cover.
8. (If necessary) Remove the belt tension adjuster and service; 3 bolts-take note one bolt is longer than the other 2. Replace the tension pulley/bearing if necessary.
9. Cut and remove the old belt if still present. Mine had self-destructed so no belt.
10. From the top, CAREFULLY slip the new fan belt over the plastic fan blades. Rotate the fan as necessary. There is more clearance at the top of the fan housing so work the fan belt over the fan at that point. Dont damage the fan blades!
11. Reinstall the belt adjuster if you removed it.
12. Loosen the center nut on the belt tensioner pulley and turning the wingnut, run the tensioner all the way towards the center of the engine.
13. Slip the fan belt over the crankshaft pulley, generator pulley and the belt tensioner pulley.
14. Take up the belt slack with the belt tensioner. (Spec is .4 in./10mm deflection)
15. Lock the tension pulley in position with the center nut.
16. Reinstall the Tensioner cover.
17. At this point, I reconnected the negative cable and started the tractor so I could drive it over to where I keep the pressure washer. Gave the radiator a good cleaning to remove accumulated dust and debris. Also cleaned the rest of the tractor.
18. Back to the shop. Disconnect battery.
19. Replace crankshaft to PTO shaft; 3 bolts. Service if necessary.
20. Replace front PTO; 4 bolts. Reconnect wire. Service if necessary.
21. Now is a good time to check all fluids. Service if necessary.
22. Replace the hood, 4 bolts.
23. Replace negative connection to battery.
24. Done!

This would take about an hour with a minimal assortment of metric tools. As a preventive measure, use anti-seize on all threads when reassembling. Took me about 2.5 hours as the tensioner was seized so I removed it, disassembled, cleaned dirt and rust, lubricated and reassembled. I also reconnected the headlights which were disconnected, flushed the rad and replaced the A/F, serviced the oil-bath air filter and checked the other fluids. I had done some research on this and it was suggested that I would have to loosen the engine mounting bolts and lift the engine a little to allow the belt to clear the PTO. This was erroneous and wasnt necessary. I have left the PTO off for now; It needs servicing the spider frames are seized onto the shafts so I will use a hydraulic press to move the parts, de-rust and reassemble.

Last edited: