b6000 2wd-4wd lever

clockwork orange

Equipment
B6000 with front loader
Nov 6, 2012
Clacton, Essex, UK
hi everyone

my b6000 wont shift into 4wd or at least i think im moving the correct lever, is it the lever below the high-low range lever on the right hand side?

cheers roy

PenderBen

Equipment
B6200d, Bobcat 323j, T1600
Aug 31, 2012
Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Hi, that should be the proper lever.
I've noticed on a few occasions with mine I will have a little trouble engaging, if you could call it trouble.
With the tractor at a standstill I'll put it in gear and as I push or pull (depending on which gear I want) on the 2wd/4wd lever just easy the clutch out a little to get everything moving in the transmission, it should easily pop into 2wd or 4wd as you do so. I doubt there's any sort of syncro in there so I think things just don't quite line up sometimes.

Hope that makes sense.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I don't own a 4wd tractor but I'm wondering if shifting a tractor into 4wd is like a 4x4 vehicle. Does the transmission need to be in neutral to allow it to shift into 4wd??

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
On the occasion my tractor doesn't want to go into 4wd, I just move it a bit and try again. I don't make it a point to be in neutral.

ibunker

Equipment
B3300SU w/BK76, Box blade, DR wood chipper
Dec 5, 2010
Port Orchard, WA
Suppose to depress clutch before engaging the front wheel drive lever. Sometimes it will not engage but try again by letting out clutch, pressing speed control lever fwd/reverse, depress clutch and try again.

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
Roy, this is what happened on my B6100. The spring behind the detent ball rusted to the point the ball couldn't move and therefore the lever couldn't move. Check to see if the detent ball is free. This picture shows the spring frozen in place.

It may not be your problem, but it is worth a look!

John in VA

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I don't own a 4wd tractor but I'm wondering if shifting a tractor into 4wd is like a 4x4 vehicle. Does the transmission need to be in neutral to allow it to shift into 4wd??
No, it doesn't. On a 4WD truck/SUV/etc., you usually push in the clutch or put the shifter into neutral or park, and shift (I'm talking a manual shift transfer case), partly because if you want to go into low range with an automatic transmission, you will have to shift quick as you go past neutral (transfer case) or the gears will start turning before you hit low range. On the kubota, it is either 2 or 4. No neutral. You can push in the clutch, but unless you are spinning the rear tires, there is no interference. I don't push in the clutch on mine, and I don't always come to a stop. I know my tractor well, and I am not hurting it.

Fastest1

Equipment
1994 B5200 FEL
Dec 9, 2012
Conroe, Texas
Roy, this is what happened on my B6100. The spring behind the detent ball rusted to the point the ball couldn't move and therefore the lever couldn't move. Check to see if the detent ball is free. This picture shows the spring frozen in place.

It may not be your problem, but it is worth a look!

John in VA

This was exactly what happened to my B5200. I just used WD but need to disassemble and grease. It is working though.