B5100 PTO Operation/Mower Pushing Tractor Problems

dynamichandyman

Equipment
Kubota B5100 with FEL
May 8, 2020
Turlock
Hello yall,
Hope i can get some help. I have a B5100 that I finished fixing up and found a 3' rotary mower for it as well. I used the mower yesterday for the first time and ran into some issues I have never run into with other implements or tractors. Been operating tractors for 25 years. This is the first implement I have used on this tractor. See attached photo for set up.

The entire tractor was rattle canned with kubota paint. We will see how it holds up. Bought 3 tractors and made this one out of them. Also learned that the front loader sticks out too far for this model. Should sit back another 10".

Issues discovered:
1.) Once I engage the PTO to start mower I cannot put the tractor into gear even if I push the clutch down again. The PTO has to stop spinning before I can put the tractor into gear. Yes I am at low rpm. I have to put the tractor in gear and engage PTO before releasing clutch. Never had to do this on any other tractor. If I want to put tractor in reverse or change gears the mower has to stop turning before going into gear. This is going to be annoying especially in having to back into corners for mowing.

2.) The more dangerous issue, when I push the clutch down to stop forward movement the mower is of course still spinning due to momentum. This in turn is spinning the PTO and actually turning the transmission which in turn is moving tractor forward. I have to hit the brakes hard so that both the tractor and PTO stop spinning. If I disengage the pto with the lever then the tractor stops moving forward right then and there.

So, do I need to adjust the allthread bolt under floorboard for the clutch so it disengages more? I can see these items being less of an issue for a tiller since less momentum is turning.

Thanks for the help!

B5100 Mower.JPG

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Your last statement is where I would start - seems to me the clutch is not FULLY disengaging when you push down on it.

dynamichandyman

Equipment
Kubota B5100 with FEL
May 8, 2020
Turlock
Your last statement is where I would start - seems to me the clutch is not FULLY disengaging when you push down on it.
Thanks for the reply. Its the easiest adjustment to make. It goes in and out of gear with not issues. However maybe not disengaged enough with an implement turning.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Sounds like you need an over running clutch.

Reactions: 2 users

dynamichandyman

Equipment
Kubota B5100 with FEL
May 8, 2020
Turlock
Sounds like you need an over running clutch.
Well I have not heard that term before and just did a google search and BAM!! THANK YOU!! Sure enough the tractor is not built with one internally. Found this thread here and just checked my tractor. When the PTO is engaged with the tractor off the PTO does not turn, therefore does not freewheel.

And here is a clutch if anyone needs one. Getting one ordered today!!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Well I have not heard that term before and just did a google search and BAM!! THANK YOU!! Sure enough the tractor is not built with one internally. Found this thread here and just checked my tractor. When the PTO is engaged with the tractor off the PTO does not turn, therefore does not freewheel.

And here is a clutch if anyone needs one. Getting one ordered today!!

Yep. Make sure your driveshaft doesn't need to be shortened after you install it.

TriBeard

Equipment
1984 B5100e
Jul 21, 2022
Kentucky
Hello yall,
Hope i can get some help. I have a B5100 that I finished fixing up and found a 3' rotary mower for it as well. I used the mower yesterday for the first time and ran into some issues I have never run into with other implements or tractors. Been operating tractors for 25 years. This is the first implement I have used on this tractor. See attached photo for set up.

The entire tractor was rattle canned with kubota paint. We will see how it holds up. Bought 3 tractors and made this one out of them. Also learned that the front loader sticks out too far for this model. Should sit back another 10".

Issues discovered:
1.) Once I engage the PTO to start mower I cannot put the tractor into gear even if I push the clutch down again. The PTO has to stop spinning before I can put the tractor into gear. Yes I am at low rpm. I have to put the tractor in gear and engage PTO before releasing clutch. Never had to do this on any other tractor. If I want to put tractor in reverse or change gears the mower has to stop turning before going into gear. This is going to be annoying especially in having to back into corners for mowing.

2.) The more dangerous issue, when I push the clutch down to stop forward movement the mower is of course still spinning due to momentum. This in turn is spinning the PTO and actually turning the transmission which in turn is moving tractor forward. I have to hit the brakes hard so that both the tractor and PTO stop spinning. If I disengage the pto with the lever then the tractor stops moving forward right then and there.

So, do I need to adjust the allthread bolt under floorboard for the clutch so it disengages more? I can see these items being less of an issue for a tiller since less momentum is turning.

Thanks for the help!

View attachment 53034
I know this is an old thread and I hate to bring it back, but is that your b5100 in the picture? If so, do you know what model specifically that rotory cutter is and/or how much it weighs? I'm looking for one as well but want to make sure I find something the tractor can lift and it seems like it handles yours pretty well.