B3200 PTO output stops while tilling

tjaltz

Equipment
L6060HSTC, B3200HSD
Mar 17, 2019
South Carolina
I have a well maintained B3200 with 300 hours on it. It has hydrostatic drive with three ranges. I recently added a 50 inch Bush Hog tiller that has a PTO shaft with a slip clutch. I made sure to slip the PTO shaft clutch by following the directions to loosen the bolts, turn it on and make sure the plates all slipped (moved), then retightened it according to the directions. I till in low range at PTO rpm. A few times while tilling, I would contact something (like a tree root or large rock) that caused the tractor to stop moving and the PTO shaft to stop turning, while the engine continues to run. I immediately depressed the clutch, and raise the tiller from the obstruction, and when I let the clutch out the tiller and tractor move again. The PTO shaft‘s slip clutch did not spin, rather the tractor’s PTO output stopped. The tractor’s rear PTO is rated at 23 HP, and the tiller requires a minimum of 15 HP. The clutch pedal currently has 1-3/8” of free travel, and the spec in the manual is .8“-1.2”. Is this an indication of a clutch problem on the tractor?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Adjust the clutch linkage, if adjustment doesn't return normal operations, you'll need to split it and replace the clutch disk and pressure plate.

Reactions: 1 user