B3200 Aux Lighting?

cold1313

Dec 15, 2012
Northern, Ohio, USA
I picked up a new B3200 this spring and with winter approaching, the front lights don't seem to cut it with the FEL on board. I'd also like to have some light behind me for when using my blade to clear snow.

I'd like to use LED and mount to the ROPS, but the dealer cautioned me not to "go crazy" with adding extras as it could strain the alternator.

With this sized tractor, what should I keep my wattage or amperage down to for lights? I've read a few threads for larger tractors, but I wasn't sure about my little B3200....

I'm guessing one on the front and one on the back would be enough. Also open to suggestions on what lights to pick up!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
LED lights won't strain a 12volt lawnmower battery! I got mine off of amazon, these are very well made, heavy aluminum frame and bright too boot!

According to spec's you B3200 should have a 14.2 amp system, or maybe is has the 40 amps system, you might be able to see the output on the alternator.

Here is some that I have :

http://www.amazon.com/Genssi-Light-...380549334&sr=8-6&keywords=led+off+road+lights

27 watts. Take that and divide by 13+ volts and you get a little over 2 amps per unit.....

I need to order another set so I can use the backhoe too;)

Attachments

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
They do not "swivel", they are locked down via a nut - so moving back and forth would not a be good thing, tweaking would be ok I am sure you could design something for the bolt to spin in!. One light would be rather bright, zip ties would not be my first choice, these guys are fairly heavy.....how about a hose clamp or two? I was really impressed with the lights. I think once you get them up - you'll want two more! Running the power source was a beeeeaaauch however, trying to make sure that nutting binds or rubs against the wire inside the wireloom.:eek:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
You might want to try some small LED light bars to get more light without having to go to more lights to mount. I would hang them under the top of the roll bar with one facing forward, one back. I have bought some lights from this outfit and had good luck and prompt service. Here is a link to some light bars they have, they also have many more different sizes.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ad-led-light-bar-drl/1271/2946/#t=accessories

Last edited:

cold1313

Dec 15, 2012
Northern, Ohio, USA
My concern about the light bar is that when I mow, I end up hitting the ROPS on tree branches all the time. I would break those lights for sure, so I'm tempted to mount these as a "winter use" only. I only need them (so far) in the winter when I'll by trying to clear snow in the dark.

But I agree, I think a light bar would be the way to go.

Frank minarchi

Equipment
B3200 loader,mower
Sep 24, 2012
Edmonton ab Canada
I picked up a new B3200 this spring and with winter approaching, the front lights don't seem to cut it with the FEL on board. I'd also like to have some light behind me for when using my blade to clear snow.

I'd like to use LED and mount to the ROPS, but the dealer cautioned me not to "go crazy" with adding extras as it could strain the alternator.

With this sized tractor, what should I keep my wattage or amperage down to for lights? I've read a few threads for larger tractors, but I wasn't sure about my little B3200....

I'm guessing one on the front and one on the back would be enough. Also open to suggestions on what lights to pick up!
I have a b3200 that I built a cab for. I also have the 40 amp alternator I have 4 cab lights,a radio,and a heater and it has no problem for power up keep.

cold1313

Dec 15, 2012
Northern, Ohio, USA
I looked over the alternator but did not see any markings. The only thing I found was in the casting on the back which had "GP81"

So, I'm guessing I don't have the 40amp.

cold1313

Dec 15, 2012
Northern, Ohio, USA
http://www.amazon.com/Genssi-Light-Waterproof-6000K-Flood/dp/B005WWI62K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1380549334&sr=8-6&keywords=led+off+road+lights

If I had (4) of these, I'd have an 8A draw on the system. Might be hard on the battery since I'll be at a low idle just pushing snow around...

My dealer said since I don't have the cab, I probably have the smaller of the two alternators

**Follow up**
ended up ordering (4) of the lights above. Should light things up pretty good! I'm going to make these quick disconnect, so I can take them down when I mow around the trees to avoid breaking them off in the summer!

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
why would you be running at low idle? You never want to run the hydraulics at anything near low idle......the hydraulic motors need to run at a certain rpm to work properly. some people cut grass at 2600, some at 2800, and some at 3200....I find that for digging there is a huge difference between 2800 rpm and 3200 rpm, it seems like twice as much power - the hydraulic whine is smaller too! Make sure that the wire you use to large enough to handle each circuit, might not want to place all four on one switch, or one circuit......have two circuits, front and rear. I dont think your alternator will see a huge load. As for "watts," "volts" and "amps" , these terms are all about electrical loads and pressures and total power used. The real question you want to find out is lumens, lumens is the measure of "brightness" of light. So you might find a 1.5 amp light that has 1000 lumens, and another 2 amp light that has 1500 lumens, the last one is making more light per amp than the first. Once you get some of these lights up and on you ROPS, you will be able to see snowflakes fall in another zip code!:cool::cool:

cold1313

Dec 15, 2012
Northern, Ohio, USA
I would be at "low idle" since I'll just be pushing snow, slowly. Not idling, but I don't see the need to have the tractor up to 3,000RPM's like I do bush hogging, just to push some fluffy snow. But I know what you are saying, I do adjust the throttle as needed

I'm going to run a single 10G or 12G wire from the battery back to switches for the lights. Overkill on the wire but it's what I have on hand. Throw a few inline fuses and ready to go. Probably use weather pack connectors so I can "quickly" remove the lights when needed.

Just have to figure out how to connect to the ROPS without modifying it.

Wildan

Equipment
L4240 HSTC &L3000DT
Sep 19, 2013
St.Lawrence Co.NY
I would be at "low idle" since I'll just be pushing snow, slowly. Not idling, but I don't see the need to have the tractor up to 3,000RPM's like I do bush hogging, just to push some fluffy snow. But I know what you are saying, I do adjust the throttle as needed

I'm going to run a single 10G or 12G wire from the battery back to switches for the lights. Overkill on the wire but it's what I have on hand. Throw a few inline fuses and ready to go. Probably use weather pack connectors so I can "quickly" remove the lights when needed.

Just have to figure out how to connect to the ROPS without modifying it.
We just mounted three to a L3000 with a simple angle iron bracket and square u bolts.