B3030 Hst tranny fluid noise. Normal???

tozlakes

Equipment
Kubota Cabbed B3030
Dec 21, 2009
Paso Robles, California
I recently bought a used 2007 Cabbed B3030 with 250 hours on it. First HST tranny I've owned and maybe everything is normal? It just seems that when I push on the forward or reverse pedal there is an excessive noise that sounds like fluid passing through a hose or an oriface. Is this normal?

I've only had enough time to play for about a half hour with the unit but it also seems to be under powered when moving the unit and operating the bucket at the same time even with no load in it. Sometimes even dies. Maybe it needs to be in Low gear instead of M or H? Any feedback appreciated. JG

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
First of all, congratulations on purchasing a Kubota! The "B" series hydrostatic transmission is a "direct acting" as opposed to "servo operating" type hydro. This means the hst pedal is directly attached to the pump swash-plate so you get "feedback" on the pedal as you push it. this translated into noise being transmitted through the pedal into the cab which amplifies it and makes them quite a noisy machine. The L series tractors use servo controled hydraulics which isolates most of the noise.
The hst pedal is not like a gas or accelerator pedal! the further down you push it the higher effective gear you are selecting, to the point where the machine is in just to high a gear and will stall. With a B3030 including a cab and loader and with only 30 hp there are many times when it will seem underpowered. When you are working with the tractor and it is coming under load and lugging down the correct procedure is to let up on the hst pedal. I know, it seems un-natural! But try it! I know you'll be pleased with the performance once this becomes second nature. As far as yours being TOO noisy, I can't tell from here! but they normally are quite noisy so I suspect it's ok. Once you get onto driving it you'll find you automatically avoid the most noise by the proper use of the transmission.

tozlakes

Equipment
Kubota Cabbed B3030
Dec 21, 2009
Paso Robles, California
That was exactly the type of feedback that I was looking for. With no experience with a tranny of this sort it just seemed like I either had something not adjusted right or was just not used to its operation.

Another thing I found odd was the lever to raise and lower the loader bucket. When pushing the lever forward the bucket arms begin to drop, the further forward of course the faster it drops. The strange thing is when pushed all the way forward I feel a click and the bucket will stop lowering until backed off a hair then it goes back to lowering. Is this just an adjustment in the lever or something more? Thanks, JG

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
When your lever goes forward all the way, your bucket is in "float" mode. If in the air it should go down by itself, but it will not lift up your machine. It basically allows the bucked to move op or down over the terrain you are on, just kinda floats across the ground.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The detent position at full forward travel is called "float" in that position the loader should drop to the ground and float on the surface with no down pressure. If you push the lever ahead but not into "float" the loader should go down and actually lift the front of the tractor.

SRS

Equipment
Cabbed B3030, equipped with a FEL, FEL snow plow, belly mower, and forks.
Jan 3, 2010
Jarrettsville, Maryland
The "B" series hydrostatic transmission is a "direct acting" as opposed to "servo operating" type hydro. This means the hst pedal is directly attached to the pump swash-plate so you get "feedback" on the pedal as you push it. this translated into noise being transmitted through the pedal into the cab which amplifies it and makes them quite a noisy machine. The L series tractors use servo controled hydraulics which isolates most of the noise.
Eserv, thanks for the explanation of the hydro noise. Since I have the cabbed version I'm disappointed in the noise of the hydro. I do love the cab, with the heat and a/c but I never thought it would be this loud. Don't get me wrong I realize this is a tractor and not a Lexus but I think Kubota could have done a better job with sound proofing. Cabbed Deere tractors are quieter but perhaps this is comparing apples to oranges. Thanks again!

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
All other new cabbed Kubota's are much quieter than the B3030 too.It would be much better if this tractor was quieter alright but Kubota took an existing model and made a cab unit to fill a market demand for that size tractor. unfortunately the B's are not quiet tractors! Not so noticeable without the cab!

greiter

Equipment
B3030
Sep 13, 2010
Canada
I recently purchased a B3030 cabbed and had a B7800 w/o cab before that. The hydrostatic transmission is much louder inside the B3030 cab than the open air B7800. I find it helps to reduce the noise by making sure you are running in the right gear. (ie) if you are moving at 1/2 speed in High maybe use Medium at full speed. See what you think.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Toz.... welcome to the group! You'll find a wealth of practical AND technical information here.

I have a B2410 and mine is very noisy under power....:D

I bought it just for that... ya see.... on my tractor is the one place I can't hear the cell phone ring or vibrate and best yet.... you can forget hearing your wife when she tries to get your attention.:eek:

Oh yes... did I mention we have a bit of orange humor sprinkled throughout the threads:confused:

Butch

KubieTwo

Equipment
B7510Hst, GL5030GST, 6' Bush Hog, 6' Land Pride RFM, 4' Bush Hog Tiller, RTV1100
Sep 18, 2010
Commerce GA
Toz.... welcome to the group! You'll find a wealth of practical AND technical information here.

I have a B2410 and mine is very noisy under power....:D

I bought it just for that... ya see.... on my tractor is the one place I can't hear the cell phone ring or vibrate and best yet.... you can forget hearing your wife when she tries to get your attention.:eek:

Oh yes... did I mention we have a bit of orange humor sprinkled throughout the threads:confused:

Butch
LOL... My father lived in the city so had to use a table saw for the same purpose, but I can certainly relate.

For others reading the thread and needing tractor knowledge, the Messicks site under the Service Department section contains many helpful articles such as http://www.messicks.com/Articles/DrivingHydrostat.aspx

KubieTwo

Batdude

Equipment
B2910
Jan 11, 2013
Easton, MD, USA
I have a B2910 that make noise when traveling. Took to the shop today and a mechanic looked at it. He said the is from worn joints on the propeller shaft. I ordered parts to replace the ends, cost around $200. I was glad to hear it was not a problem inside of the transmission or pump. Hope this is helpful to someone.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I hesitate to even say this just due to the past results but here we go.

Up front I will say that I have never tried this on a Kubota hydro but it was done to 4 new Kubotas with a gear tranny. I'm not saying this will eliminate noise but changing the trans fluid over to Amsoil tractor trans/hyd fluid will lower the noise level. I don't have the equipment to measure how much it changes but it's a noticable difference.

If you haven't tried it yourself then you really can't argue about it. I'm not trying to advertise, sell anything or start another oil war. I'm only passing on personal experience about a product that makes a great tractor even better.