b2920

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i have 5 acres of deep sandy soil on a slope somewhere between 2-4% grade. i'm looking at the b2920 with the fel, back hoe, reverse rotation - mulching tiller, post hole drill, and either a rake or drag/rake clamp devise (removable replacement for fel bucket).
for cleaning roots and large rocks... also thinking of seed trencher, row mounder (to make seed rows and to cover spuds).. will be mounting a brush saw for pruning/limbing trees.
i am adapting a limb chipper/shredder using the hydraulics for a power source and three point for lifting. while moving with the tractor as required. i will also be doing stump digging/removal. driveway removal and moving. digging out a bank to make room for a garage/workshop. digging trenches for foundation, digging and burying pipe - water lines, moving brush and small logs.. digging holes and planting small trees, vines and putting in post holes, stringing wire & fencing (anchor point, winching wire). also may be using it to move trailers cargo 26" and r.v. 34'... will be filling all 4 industrial type tires with h2o for stability and traction..
it's been a long time since i've done any farm work. so any suggestions, comments, questions. will be welcome as this will be my only and last tractor.

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
For all of that I'd consider the B3300SU, or the L3200/3800. The 3200 with gears cost about the same as the B3300 with HST, but you get about 700 lbs more tractor. When you are pushing or pulling things you want the largest diameter tire you can get - the 2920 falls short of the others. You also want weight. When you fill the R4 tires on any of the above, you get about 400 lbs a tire! Plus that extra 700 lbs if you get a 3200/3800.
I only remove the FEL if I'm mowing or tilling. You will end up changing the rear implement a LOT. Working alone, sometimes it can be a heck of a chore lining up the tractor to the implement that has sunk since you stowed it; I have spent hours hooking on the back hoe (the newer ones are much easier, from the looks of it, but if it sags you are still screwed). Tractor implements are expensive. So it is sometimes a good idea to spend less on something that has its own engine and will do the job just fine. A post hole digger makes a good rental. You will probably be able to do all your fence posts in a day. After that the manual kind works fine in sandy soil - save the $$ to buy that tiller.
Most folks will say to get the most horsepower you can ever imagine needing; and then some. To me that would lead toward the L3800. I think any of the three would serve you well.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i went back to look at the various models. for the fel/backhoe/tiller combo we are only talking around $2k difference.. not as much as i thought it would be.. as for renting the posthole drill .. tractor supply has one for sale at a reasonable amount... i don't do any digging/lifting/stomping. due to lower back issues.. i use any device or method to get things done without any more than minor manual labor.. thus the tractor for almost all of my dirt / tree moving and material chores.. if the rig comes with or is available with a air ride seat, it would be all the better... i use a lift to get items out of my truck. takes extra time, but saves the spine....

as for the 4 cylinder engine i've heard some rumors of a vibration issue... have you experienced any excessive engine vibrations????
thanks for the suggestions. i will sure give them a toss, b4 i throw my money out...
cc

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I don't recall reading about any issue of vibration with the B3300. My dealer has been selling them like crazy - if it is the same everywhere, and they have vibration, someone would have written. I have encountered no vibrations on the L3200.
Fair comments about your back. You can get quick connect arrangements through Kubota or on ebay that may take a lot of the hassel out of connecting/disconnecting implements on the back. You can also get arm extenders that could go a long way towards simplifying the 3 ph lineup. Consider making the first project being a concrete pad for implements. It makes things a LOT easier when you can line up correctly.
I believe you can also get high-backed seats with arm rests that could be better on the back.
Your dealer should be telling you all of this.
I still recommend the L3200/3800 size. Mine is great.

Last edited:

Jiminoregon

Equipment
B2920
Sep 9, 2012
Nehalem, OR, USA
I don't reccommend Industrial tread tires. My Neighbor has them and he gets stuck in mud and loose soil. I haved AGS on my B2920 and never have a problem.
Also, dont put water in your tires, it freezes and can rust your rims. My dealer put something called RIMGUARD in my rear tires which I think is made from beet juice of all things - doesn't freeze and no rust.
Jim

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I agree with gpreuss. The 2920 is a great tractor, but it sounds like you will need more machine. And, if your back won't take the work, you may want to look at a post driver, instead of a post drill. Once you drill the hole, you still need to put the post in, shovel soil/rocks in, tamp it with a digging bar, tamp some more, tamp some more... with back problems, driving the posts will be easier, simpler, and faster. Perhaps you can rent one when needed, or find one used- my dad did. A local fence builder was hurting for money and selling equipment, and put a really nice, VERY heavy duty driver up for sale. You can drive 10 posts by the time you drill and set one.